main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Caedus Have Force Psychosis? (no Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by snelson, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    did jacen have fp? he had all the symptoms paranoia, flow walking and lust for power.

2. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Perhaps more often than the rest, but my impression was that all Force users that knowingly use their gifts tend to go through some type of psychosis from time to time.

3. madslaust

madslaust Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 13, 2009
    Some just more often than others.

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    It would certainly explain a lot.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    None of the afflicted Jedi have showed any lust for power, only one flow-walked (or was said to), and they aren't simply paranoid, they're paranoid in a very specific way with very specific symptoms that Jacen never showed any indication of. There's no indication Jacen suffered from anything similar.

6. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    A lot of LotF was told from Jacen's perspective, and he never gave any indication that he thought the people around him were impostors. For instance, when he fought Luke he was keenly aware that he was fighting LUKE.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, if we compare Jacen's descent into madness compared to the other young Jedi who have gone crazy, I'd say no, Jacen didn't have the same Force craziness they have. While Jacen went evil and crazy and stupid (not that anyone acted all that smart in LotF), he never thought everyone around him was replaced by imposters. Not to mention, that when most of these young Jedi Knights were hidden in the Maw, Jacen was already a teeanger and whining, er, fighting on the frontlines.

And based on Omen, Jacen didn't go to the Maw until later in his journey, after the Aing-Tii, so maybe he got infected there, or maybe he was already screwed up, based on Ben's flow-walking vision, although that was Ben, so its not like Ben is always right either. Although didn't some summary of this series said Jacen woke up something on his journey? I'm just trying to figure out if they mean whatever's in the Maw or something else out there.

Although, I half-expect the authors to retcon Jacen's fall to be due to influence from whatever is driving young Jedi crazy. It'd be a very stupid decision, since while Jacen's fall was tragic and kind of pathetic, at least we thought it was mainly due to his own flaws. While reading LotF, that didn't seem to be the intent (that Jacen was mystically corrupted by something, and that was why he went evil/crazy), but then again, Vergere wasn't a villain or Sith during NJO... and now she is (at least until someone says otherwise, and that's not likely, given that anyone who might've known is long dead or not telling, in Krayt's case). I do wonder though how many retcons there will be to Jacen's fall in FotJ.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That was in the original blurb that first announced FOTJ in the back of... whichever book it was. I assume it's talking about whatever is in the Maw. If the Sith turn out to be the main bad guys though then it might just be referring to waking Ship up or something.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

This. They're more drowning in fear than anything else.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm pretty sure they will go with "Jacen had the same thing, only he was stronger so it manifested in such a way that it was harder to identify" or something similiar, actually.

I might be cynical, but the whole point of introducing it - to me - seems to have been to explain away Caedus' less than stellar characterisation.

11. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I'd rather wish Jacen didn't have FP. He's a loser punk & it should be left at that. Never a good Jedi that turned into a fake wannabe Sith, I don't think we need a retcon telling us that he ordered his parents shot down over Kashyyyk cause out of the blue he thought they were imposters.

This is the worst kind of retcon, it's not like they can rewrite all the LoTF books Special Ed style & force us to buy them or even have an exchange program for old to new versions of LotF books? Or maybe they'd like to give us pages over the 'net that we can print out & insert into our LotF books with all the added text pointing out Jacen had FP. The only thing that even remotely hints he had some kind of psychosis is when he accused his cape of being a traitor. Why ruin that piece of EU comedy gold with a retcon that he was crazier than we all thought he was?

Jacen is dead. He needs no force ghost, he should just be forgotten & lost in EU limbo like Waru & Tilotny Shapethrower.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or to give him an excuse for going to the dark side.

Do not want.[face_shame_on_you]

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, he didn't.

The insane Jedi aren't even evil, they're just insane Jedi.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I was originally going to answer with "I don't know".

Having just been looking up some stuff from MF, I was reminded that Allana said she was scared of Seff because she thought he felt the same as Jacen, and how her initial reaction was to scream in terror "Jacen!", thinking it was him.

So... having been reminded about that, I'm going to say: "Probably".

15. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    To be fair, though, that could mostly be the fault of the writers of LOTF, who, among other crimes, also didn't do anything to present Jacen as a credible threat until way after the point it would have mattered.

16. FireJade

FireJade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Paranoia could have been the shared trait here. It's a good point, though, and it supports the theory that the Jedi with Force psychosis have parts of Jacen's psyche spread between them.

17. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Oh please, don't give anyone THAT idea. Lemme try & make it sound as terrible to you, as it does to me.

Jacen wasn't using the force to call out to his wife & kid when his sister killed him, instead he used a newly learned force trick, the same one The Emperor used to escape death, float in space to Bastion & inhabit cloned bodies. Since Jacen is such a screw-up, he didn't Master the trick so when he leaves his body his force spirit splits into 10 parts. It's these bunches of Jacen spirits that are possessing the MAW YJK's & since broken pieces of Jedi are in the kids, they feel like Jacen in the force & know his force tricks.

They also fail like Jacen did, each & everyone of them poses no more a genuine threat than JINO ever did when he was alive. Seff, Valin, Jyss & that other Jedi thing in OMEN have killed no one, despite being described & violent & out of their minds batspit crazy. They're all easily caught & subdued & frozen. This Force Psychosis is Jacen's Legacy of the Force & being infected by it is the Fate of the Young Jedi Knights.

[face_worried]

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, not necessarily. While personally I still don't know what to think of the psychosis as I'm still reading Omen, if it was his equivalent of a bunch of horcruxes, he need not have sundered his soul at time of departure, but may have just prepared them in advance and the process have then been automatic without any conscious effort.

His increasing stupidity as LOTF went on could then be put down to him shedding more and more parts of his spirit, hence by the time of Invincible he was a total nutjob. :p

19. FireJade

FireJade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Or the explanation could involve things we've never heard of before. The reason why Tricky's theory seems so ridiculous is because it limits itself to things we've already seen. Frankly, there's no reason why everything needs to have an explanation we can understand by what we know in LotF. Not every mystery (probably very few, actually) is meant to have us hitting our heads on how adroitly past events were twisted into a new explanation.

Take Tadar'Ro's ambiguous hint to Luke and Ben at the end of Omen, for instance. It's easily explained at the beginning of Abyss, as per the summary included with Skyborn, but it isn't something we could have guessed beforehand. I trust that Jacen's situation and the deal with the Force psychosis will become clear over time.

And I doubt that any present theory fans have come up with is 100% accurate, in any case. It's never "that simple."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.