main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Padme know she was carrying twins?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Yanksfan, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up a bazillion times before, but I'm a classic trilogy forum rat, so I've totally missed the discussion if it did.

Anyways, I was wondering if Padme actually knew she was carrying twins before they were born. On the one hand, she doesn't seemed phased by the second baby at all, and even has a name all picked out for her: "Leia."

On the other, she obviously didn't tell anyone if she did know. Most significantly, she didn't tell Anakin. Now perhaps she meant it as a "happy surprise" for the expectant father, or perhaps it was for a darker reason. Maybe she subconsciously sensed the shift in her husband, and felt it would be better to keep this secret close to her chest. And also, in more than one scene she refers to her pregnancy as "the baby", which leads me to believe she honestly was expecting only one.

I dunno. What do you think?

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  2. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    i don't think she knew.

about having a second name ready...
    is that really so surprising considering they don't seem to know the sex of the baby?

3. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    Its hard to tell by her expressions, if she knew she had twins, she hid it well.

4. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    That's a good point about the names. But still. She doesn't seem at all surprised in the delivery room when a second baby pops out. I think I would be.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    More than likely she was told she was carrying twins just before the delivery. They probably told her before they told Obi-Wan. As far as names go, she probably had a male and female name chosen. More than likely, she wasn't sure of the gender.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    In the novel, she wanted to keep it a surprise as of the sex of the baby, and they both assumed that they were only carrying one... so I'd say no.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    More than likely she was told she was carrying twins just before the delivery. They probably told her before they told Obi-Wan. As far as names go, she probably had a male and female name chosen. More than likely, she wasn't sure of the gender.

Yep. The reason she wasnt surprised was she really didnt care much at that point.

8. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    She found out around the same time Obi-Wan, Bail, Yoda, 3PO, and R2 did. She could've had both a boy's and a girl's name picked out beforehand just incase it was one or the other. In the film, she didn't know if it was a boy or girl.

9. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    when Anakin say's " Our baby is a blessing", i found it odd she never said otherwise. that it was Babies. so i'm not sure if she knew or not. she may have had a Boy and a Girl name already picked.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I didnt think Anakin was going to say "Our BABIES are a blessing." They didn't know they were going to have Luke & Leia.

11. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    I didnt think was going to say "Our BABIES are a blessing." They didn't know they were going to have Luke & Leia.

wha?, you want to translate that for me?

12. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    She didn't know she was having twins, and the babies' names are easily explained by having a boy name and a girl name already picked out. She got to use them both.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    When Padme had the babies during the last sceens of ROTS. She quickly named each baby. and she thought she was going to have one baby.

14. Candycane8828

Candycane8828 Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2005
    She Didn't know because when Anakin told her about his dream he said "you die in child birth" and she said "and the baby" she wasn't pural.

15. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    good point!^^^^. that about wraps it up. lock it. [face_dancing]

16. Force-Keeper

Jun 16, 2004
    I?m pretty sure George said in the audio commentary that Padmè didn?t know she was carrying twins. Take that with a grain of salt though, I'm not sure.

17. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005

I was just about to say that and you stole my thunder [face_talk_hand]

18. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Yep..most parents choose a boy and girl name early in the pregnancy...becuase they don't know yet, and so she had both in her head...DUGGY, you're awfully hung up on having posts closed...

19. masterevad

masterevad Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm gonna have to agree with candycane. That pretty much says it all.

20. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    DUGGY, you're awfully hung up on having posts closed...

By all means go in circles.

21. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    LOL! Agreed. Padme had picked out a boy's and girl's name because they didn't know the gender of the baby. Many couples do the same thing.

I think Duggy rightly thinks this thread should be locked because a) It's been discussed in many other threads and b)because the answer is obvious. Why keep threads like this open?

22. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    But if I may just throw another wrench into the works here.....I can accept that it seems that Padme did NOT know she was carrying twins. But then one has to wonder, how could she NOT know? Even with our relatively "primative" technology here on earth, parents are made aware way in advance of delivery if they are carrying twins or any other multiple birth. I'd have to imagine that in a GFFA they would have been able to detect a multiple birth in advance as well.

Unless Naboo custom does away with prenatal care altogether. Who knows.

23. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    We can imagine that all we want, but we don't really have any evidence that this is the case.

24. Force-Keeper

Jun 16, 2004
    The RotS novel stated that Padmè and Anakin wanted the gender of they're baby to be a surprise. So, that?s why she never found out.

25. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    ^^^^ But they would of known there was more than one baby when she went for check ups...unless they don't do that in the galaxy far, far away...

Haha. You're right :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.