main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I was a year old when Empire came out so naturally I'm very fond of the original Trilogy. To this day it's probably still my favorite movie series of all time. When the prequels came out I felt like a kid all over again. I went to see all three on the first day and I was giddy as a school boy. Overall I'd say I was quite satisfied with what we got. Sure they have hammy dialog issues and questionable acting but I still loved them. Revenge of the sith especially. It really saddens me how the prequels are treated like garbage and everybody acts like the originals were completely flawless masterpieces.

Oh and btw I might be one of the only people in the world who didn't hate Jar Jar.

2. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Couldn't have said it better myself, I am 33 and I like you grew up with OT and love the prequel movies, I mean really it's freakin Star Wars nobody watches Star Wars for the acting and dialogue. I have said this another thread and I will say it again to hell with the revisionists who want to believe that OT was was well reviewed and loved by critics, I have news for you all it was not, the same criticisms levied against the PT are the same one's I heard when I was younger about the OT. Years ago I came across the real rotten tomatoes score for the OT and it was drastically different that what it reflects on the site now. I now am looking forward to episodes 7-9 and am glad Star Wars will live on. I loved Star Wars when I was young with the OT, I love Star Wars in my early adult years with the PT, and I will love Star Wars as the older I grow older with 7-9, Star Wars is forever and it will forever bring me enjoyment like no other movies can ever come remotely close to for me. If Star Wars is no longer bringing you enjoyment than maybe you should just move on.....

3. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Absolutely! I too am in my 30s and grew up thinking the Star Wars movies were the greatest ever made. When it was announced that Lucas was to finally start making episodes I - III, I was bouncing off the walls. And when I saw them I loved them. To me, the prequels are every bit as good as the originals and the "flaws" people waste so much time criticizing the prequels for are just as prevelant in the originals - and that's a FACT. But these silly nitpickings don't in any way detract from the awesomeness of the Star Wars saga.

4. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Glad to see I'm not the only one my age who enjoyed the prequels. Now all of a sudden they announce a whole new trilogy. I'm thrilled but at the same time very nervous. I don't know if I can be as excited but this will certainly be an interesting journey. All I can do is sit by and watch the future unfold hoping for the best.

5. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I know what you mean. One of the lessons of the PT - ironically lost on the hateboys - is not to fear or resist change. So I feel like I shouldn't be apprehensive about it, I should just just look forward to new Star Wars.

The trouble is, Star Wars IS George Lucas's vision. It was HIS creation and HIS story to tell. I just cannot at this point wholeheartedly embrace the idea that it's really Star Wars without him.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want to hug all you guys!

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be 41 next month and have fond memories of seeing the OOT in the theater with my Dad in 1977-1983, when ANH was called "Star Wars." I was excited for the prequels because I was really interested in seeing Anakin Skywalker's background, and except for the last half of ROTS, the prequels met or exceeded my expectations.

I don't know how I feel about a sequel trilogy mainly because I feel like the saga is complete as it is and the idea of Lucas not being in charge of it makes me nervous.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up with the OT, and when the prequels came out I read the books before seeing the films. And liked them. The films I thought were good as well.

CoolyFett and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  9. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    The very first film I ever saw in a theater was ROTJ and much of my childhood was spent playing out all the Star Wars scenarios with my siblings - we had a forest nearby which was Endor to us, and in the winter, our family's snowy garden was Hoth. With that background, you can't help but be excited about new SW, especially if it takes that long. So I was pumped and I couldn't believe it when I finally saw the Star Wars logo on screen, but followed by a NEW crawl that said "Episode I".

In the case of all three, I came out of the theater very satisfied. It was only later that I found some of the flaws but they have never made me disavow these films as so many others seem to have done. While the OT is my first and deepest SW love, I like the PT also and consider them essential parts of the mythology. My only gripe with the prequels really is... no, not Jar Jar (who I'm a secret fan of), but rather the somewhat ineptly handled Anakin/Padmé love story. This is why AOTC is my overall least favorite SW film.

whostheBossk and CoolyFett like this.
  10. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    The first movie I saw in the theater was TESB back in 1981. So yes, I grew up with the OT and I still love the PT; they made me see the OT in a different light, but in a good way.

11. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Nope.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Grew up with the originals on VHS. If not for the prequel trilogy I would most likely view the originals the same way I do the Back to the Future and Karate Kid films: fun movies from my childhood that can still be enjoyed as an adult, but overall lacking in the type of thematic content that really keeps my interest.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I grew up with the OT and loved them. I didnt like the TPM and AOTC initially, but I've come to appreciate the PT as a whole.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    To answer the thread title - yes and no. I didn't grow up with the OT, I WAS grown and yes, I like the prequels. Initially, I have to admit, I walked out of the theater so disillusioned with TPM that I only saw AoTC on TV - but it's become one of my "near fav" SW movies - it's not so dark as others (I love ROTS but, oh, my, it is heartrending).

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I grew up with the PT, but I still appreciate both trilogies though, while not perfect, they will always give me fond feelings, hopefully the Sequel Trilogy can do the same for me.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up with both. I saw the OT first and saw the PT movies when the came out in theaters. So I grew up with both though I could not watch Empire Strikes Back for the longest time when I was younger. I got over sometime after AOTC. Too dark or something. I loved the prequels. I didn't really get tired of Jar Jar's shenanigans until a couple of years ago.

CoolyFett likes this.
  17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I grew up with the OT, and I was around for the PT. I went and saw TPM and AOTC, but it was so different from the OT it kind of overwhelmed me. Then when I was 18 ROTS came out, which I didn't totally expect to enjoy, and it tore my heart out and moved me unlike any other film has. Well, American Graffiti was pretty powerful for me too, but kind of in the opposite way.

But I totally know where you're coming from. It really does seem to me that either people are being peer-pressured into thinking they are too cool (or too "grown up" - pffft) to like the Prequels, or they genuinely have no taste.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I first saw A NEW HOPE in 1977, when I was a kid. It took me a while to warm up to it, but I eventually did. I had less problems with THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Ironically, I had less problems with appreciating the Prequel Trilogy. But I was an adult at the time, and old enough to fully appreciate the saga's entire story.

19. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The answer to the OP's question is an unequivocal 'Yes'. I first discovered Star Wars in late November of 1988 (8 years and change after the theatrical release of The Empire Strikes Back and 5 years and change after the theatrical release of Return of the Jedi) and my love of the characters and storylines created by George Lucas was an endearing part of my childhood, and I very much consider the Prequel Trilogy to be just as entertaining as the 3 SW films I grew up with. In fact, if I'm going to just sit down and watch the SW films for fun, the PT is my 'go-to trilogy' (particularly Attack of the Clones).

CoolyFett, obi-rob-kenobi4 and Samnz like this.
  20. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    I saw star wars for the first time in December of 1980. ESB was the single best experience I ever had in a theater to date and I was forever hooked (I was 6yo). As for the PT. I loved them. They were Star Wars!!! I watch them 1-6 as one saga and now we get to add 7-9. True fans except the movies for what they are and welcome the chance to expand our beloved saga.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely. I was three when Star Wars (ANH) came out in '77. Saw it in the theater, and of course also saw TESB and ROTJ. So I grew up with the OT. I was happy with it. But I loved the PT films and I easily adjusted my view to see the Saga as 1 through 6. I also accepted the "Tragedy of Darth Vader" line, although I prefer the "Skywalker Saga" that the OS is apparently using now. But since they're making them anyway, I actually hope that these new movies do fit cohesively into the SW story overall, even if that means the Skywalker Saga just becomes a temporary reference to the OT while the ST is not yet complete. Unlike other franchises mentioned, I think SW is different and I think that when it comes to films (the EU novels, etc. are another matter) they need to all fit together.

22. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I was 16 when I first saw Star Wars on the big screen back in 1977, and like so many others, I began a lifelong love affair with the galaxy far, far away. I initially loved the PT, despite it's flaws, just because I was happy to see Anakin's arc play out. I think as time has passed and I watch these movies now, I'm a little more let down and see those flaws more clearly now. I still enjoy the PT overall, but not as much as I did when they were released.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I grew up watching Episodes 4,5 and 6 on vhs and also on the big screen in their 1997 re-release many, many times. When Episodes 1, 2 and 3 finally came out I was absolutely blown away, sucked into the story and the galaxy like never before and overwhelmed with wonder and excitement in the way that only a SW film can provide.

Even when I was younger I felt that the PT was what made SW a SAGA rather than just 3 old movies that many remember. Me and friends who were the same age always saw Episodes 1,2 and 3 as what made SW a Saga with an epic story like no other movie series ever and solidified/completed Star Wars as the complete story George Lucas spent his life working to finish.

Like many fans who have been given a hard time for seeing SW as its creator sees it (a finished Saga that one can sit down and watch from beginning to end) I now recognize the stubborn. determined bias some have against SW and Lucas and acknowledge it as a hipster trend that escalated out of control.

So YES I grew up seeing the films backwards but I still loved the PT even more than the OT.

I look forward to the ST and will enjoy the heck out of it but for me the OS by George Lucas will always be the true SW.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much this.

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm 42, I was in grade school for the first 2, 7th grade for ROTJ; loved those as a kid.

The first prequel was entertaining because it was Star Wars, but was not great; I was not a fan of the JJ Binks. The next one was better, and Sith was awesome, a classic to sit with Empire or Hope.

The sort of campy dialogue was also that way in the originals, especially the first movie. It wasn't like that really was new, and the Ewoks weren't really any better than JJ Binks. You have to love them for what they are (they were meant to be like 30's-40's-ish Sci-Fi, not like dialogue from The Godfather), hating on the sequels and loving the early ones is just elitism and knee-jerk reaction, something that is fashionable to say.