main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    One thing I don't get behind is this "you're not a true fan if..." or "they must be watched in this order..." Star Wars is something different to each of us. People who are huge fans of certain elements, but not the same elements as us are no less of a fan, and those who prefer non-traditional orders to the films (StampidHD280pro) or I-VI or IV-III are not somehow doing something wrong in their viewing either.

I learn from every one of the fans here and I love to hear their opinions.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I grew up with the OT and liked the prequels. Maybe the PT isn't as good stylistically as the OT, but I still enjoyed them enough to still be watching the DVDs a decade later without a second thought.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Likewise. Loved the OT when I was a kid, and the prequels are just gravy.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I was born in the late 70s, so I don't remember not being a SW fan. That being said, I like ROTS, but the other two, not so much.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    These are pretty much the only six films I wish were longer, to be honest. :p

6. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I donno, I could still do with even more extended cuts of the LOTR trilogy :)

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh...nah. Don't need more unneeded garbage cluttering up classic works of literature to fund Jackson's donut addiction.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes. The Two Watchers, for example, were completely glossed over.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Wait till Hobbit comes out. It's going to be even sillier. A friend of mine was a consultant for the dubbing team of his country's release... he said that the Riddles in the Dark is nothing like the books (and it's just one example).

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not viewing Hobbit, actually. Better movies coming out.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh dear. I'm already not a big fan of Jackson's adaptations, but that, again, doesn't bode well. Maybe it's been changed to be consistent with the opening of the "Fellowship" movieā€”as you'll recall, it's inconsistent with the book, because in the movie Bilbo finds the ring at about the same moment that Gollum discovers that this "precious is lost." Oh well.

12. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Yikes. If they were going to pick one part of the book to be completely faithful to, Riddles should be it.

I guess we'll see........

13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up with the OOT. TESB was my favorite film growing up and ANH and ROTJ were right behind.
    I was always one of the first in line for the SE and PT. Initially I loved the PT. Over time I have cooled on the PT and the SE. My love and devotion to the OOT has never waned.
    But I do still like the PT alot.

14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    One thing I don't get behind is this "you're not a true fan if..." or "they must be watched in this order..." Star Wars is something different to each of us. People who are huge fans of certain elements, but not the same elements as us are no less of a fan, and those who prefer non-traditional orders to the films (StampidHD280pro) or I-VI or IV-III are not somehow doing something wrong in their viewing either.

I learn from every one of the fans here and I love to hear their opinions.
    --------------

excellent post

Yunners likes this.
  15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    There're actually people who are only fans of the original Star Wars movie (i.e. didn't like any of the sequels). You just don't hear from on Star Wars boards for obvious reasons.

16. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread is nice therapy for an old fart like me. Empire and ANH are still my favorites, but I put Revenge of the Sith in the top 3 easily. Also when I sit down to watch Star Wars, I find myself more and more popping in the prequels. They are like my kids, I love them all for different reasons.

17. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    My list is:

V
    IV
    III (I've had it fourth with ROTJ third, but I recently gave it a bump)
    VI
    I
    II

But I still enjoy Attack of the Clones. One thing I love about these forums is to see different people's takes on things because it puts a lot of things in perspective for me.

18. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I grew up with the prequels and still love the originals!

Jarren_Lee-Saber and -NaTaLie- like this.
  19. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I was born after all the OT movies were made, but right before the PT movies began being released. I never saw the PT movies until I was like 8. In fact I had no idea there were other movies! I LOVED the OT movies. When I watched the PT movies as a kiddy, I thought they were boring, but now I don't think they are as bad. They aren't as good as the OT, but I still love both. And then I found out about the EU and how large the Star Wars universe really was, and here I am now XD

DARTH FATHEAD likes this.
  20. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    Same for me

Yunners and TaradosGon like this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Grew up on the OOT on VHS.

Loved, loved, loved ROTJ the most as a kid and thought ESB was boring as all hell.

As I got older I began to appreciate ANH and ESB more.

TPM was OK, didn't meat expectations after the long wait for the PT, but looking back it's not a bad movie IMO, though I'm not fond of Jar Jar. AOTC was abysmal IMO. ROTS however, exceeded my expectations, pretty much what I was looking for in the prequels and then some.

My order now would be something like:

ANH > ESB > ROTS >> TPM > ROTJ >>> AOTC.

I still prefer the OT, but by no means do I hate the prequels as a whole. Two of them managed to usurp ROTJ - which aside from Jabba's Palace and the throne room scenes, I don't don't enjoy much these days.

I think the story of the PT has more depth and I enjoy to talk about it more and I think there's more than can be talked about.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I grew up watching the OT films in the 90s and I like the PTs just as much.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The true fans argument is just an elitist bunch of clap trap, because the argument is that only those who really love it would love it warts and all. There are those who do, but they're not true fans. They're just fans. Likewise when it is used in a different context. As to watching it in order, well, it doesn't have to be either way. It can work either way, but the bottomline is that Lucas intended for them to be watched I through VI, since he put those numbers up there for that specific purpose. He agrees that it is fun to flip them around since not too many films can do that.

Andy Wylde and Yunners like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Funny that this thread got bumped with World War III going on in the thread about what order to show the films in.

Anyway, I answered it with "yes" earlier in the thread, and I'll just add that since there's no such thing as a "false fan," there are "true fans" who love the prequels and "true fans" who don't. There is no checklist of criteria for being a Star Wars fan.

TaradosGon and Yunners like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In my opinion, the best way to spot a "false" fan is to see if they start using the phrase "true fans".

And yes to the title question, though perhaps not in the usual sense - I grew up in the 90s and had seen both the original and SE OT films before ever hearing about TPM, but I wasn't there when they first came out.