main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Diva Shaliqua: Blue-haired slave from Ep. I

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by 327Nubian, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 327Nubian

327Nubian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2009
    Okay, for the purpose of background info, I was originally working on a slave Leia outfit. However, the details of that costume have been torturing me, so I'm putting it on the back-burner for now. I went to leiasmetalbikini.com, and I saw pictures of Diva Shaliqua. She's the blue-haired slave girl that you see standing next to Jabba the Hutt during the podrace:

[image=http://www.leiasmetalbikini.com/diva.jpg]

The only two things here that are going to be issues are the hair and the feet. So, has anyone else attempted this outfit? Or does anyone else at least know how to replicate the trouble spots?

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Hmmm. I never even noticed her feet before.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Looks more like one of Jabba's background dancers from RotJ.
    I have the solution to your feet, but you may not like it.

Buy plastine clay (a big brick). Make sure it's the clay that gets softer as you heat it, not the kind you bake in a kiln.
    Take a bunch of pictures of what you're doing as you do it. You'll want to document this.
    Skulpt clay into the shape. Make sure it's big enough to cover your shoes.
    When you have the clay sculpted build a wall about 1-2 inches wider than the clay feet. Make sure the wall is about 1 inch taller than the foot, and water tight.
    Mix a bunch of plaster and pour it in. Wait a couple hours. (or overnight)
    undo the wall and lift the plaster. get your clay out of the mold. This will probablly destroy your skulpting (This is why you want photos!). You now have a negative.
    Use liquid latex and brush in a bunch all around the inside of your negative. You'll want 10 layers or so, so this will probablly take a good long time. When you have enough layers, brush the inside with Talcum powder or cornstarch, or something similar.
    Start at one edge, and carefully work the latex from the mold. Brush powder in constantly as you remove the latex.

If you are very lucky, this will work the first time.
    Now you can start painting.
    After that, it's up to you how your fasted. (Velcro) You might want to fill in toes and other places eith foam inserts.
    Alternatively, if you're up for the challenge, you build a 2-piece mold so that you have a bottom to the feet. You might want to go with latex foam for that.

Liquid latex is readily available now that we're close to halloween, but make sure you get a good brand. A lot of the stuff out there is cheap garbage that's only good for gluing appliances down (if that), and not for building large pieces.
    Hope that helps

4. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    Oh my goodness. I don't know if I have the resources to do all that, but thanks so much anyhow!

This may sound a bit strange, but would it be possible to get a pair of "monster slippers," wrap them in tape, and paint that or something? One of my coworkers suggested that, and I thought 'well, may as well ask.' Another tutorial I looked at described applying spray foam around a pair of crocs/rubber shoes. Thing is, those looked SO lumpy, unless I can somehow smooth it out.

What about the hair? I know I need to get a bald cap since she has a ridiculously high hairline. Any suggestions on the kind of wig to get, or even how to trim it properly for the high hairline effect?

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    It isn't as hard as it may sound. It just takes time.
    The lumpy foam is why you need the mold. But it might be possible to use the foam you mention in the plaster mold, which would simplify. Also, the clay can be reused for other molds.

As for the hair, I'd start with a disco deva type wig. or one that's all white. Then dye the hair. As for straitening it, probablly a ton & a half of hair spray!
    Check halloween shops & Hot Topic/Torrid.

6. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    Okay, I'll see about using that clay mold idea. I assume that the spray foam will still move as I walk even after it dries?

Also, I found the wig I may want: http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_s_new_punk.html

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    If you don't want to go the bald cap route, I would suggest just pulling your hairline as far back possible to expose as much of your forehead as possible. The wig looks like a good choice!

(And I totally never noticed her feet either!)

8. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    I think most people don't notice her feet b/c they aren't shown in the movie. :p You basically see her from the knees up. The main reason I'm being so specific with this is b/c I'd like for it to be Rebel Legion-approved, and I'm afraid if I don't get the feet right they won't take it.

As for the bald cap thing, I don't mind wearing one at all. By the time I'm done with this and ready to wear it, I'll probably have shorter hair. I just need to make sure I trim the wig properly and conceal the edges properly with make-up.

Back to the foot snafu though. I just got some advice from someone else I know, and she suggested getting a pair of old shoes/simple shoes, gluing spoon ends onto the edges for the toenails, attaching something on top of the shoe for the ridges, and then covering it all with craft foam or something like model magic. Does that sound conducive to a successful foot?

9. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Woochie bald caps are easy enough to find, especially this time of yere. Here is on that is $9 + the shipping.

http://www.costumersnetwork.com/product-detail/EA66/woochie-prosthetic-latex-bald-cap/

- Bill

10. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    I know the bald cap is a must for me. My question is, though, would a bald cap still work over a wig cap? Or is a wig cap almost recommended? And I assume that Spirit-gum glue would work to stick some of the wig edges to the bald cap?

Sorry if my questions sound sorta n00b-ish, I'm still getting used to doing stuff like this. :oops:

11. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I am building a full face mask for my Borsk Fey'lya costume, and it is the first time that I have ever done anything like it! So I share in your nervous apprehension.

As for adhering a wig cap to the bald cap, I really can't see why it would not work. As I am sure that is exactly how folks hide their hair under a wig cap, anyway. But realistically (and somebody else correct me if I am wrong, here), I don't really think that you would need any kind of adhesive, like spirit gum. I think that the heat that your head wil generate will cause the wig cap to adhere to the bald cap on its own. Especially of the wig cap is a custom fit to your head, that extra space (however thin it may be) may provide enough of a buffer that the wig cap will stay on your head, with relative ease.

Of course, I have my own ideas of how I would, theoretically, build a wig mask like what you are looking to do. But, like I said, it would be in theory. I don't know that it would ever work.

In theory, you could add the hair straight to the bald cap by using liquid latex to glue the hair on in uniform rows (lay down a bead of liguid latex in a row, going from left side of the head to the right side. Taking your hair, apply the halfway maker of the hair directly on the bead of latex and let it dry. When it is dry, fold the hair over and lay down a light bead of latex to keep the folded end firmly attached to the bald cap. Repeat process until the who cap is covered. You can even hair punch in between rows, to make it look more natural).

It would take some time, but I think it could turn out really well. There may be an easier method, but I think this one might do well, for you.

- Bill

12. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    You guys have been so great, thanks! Especially considering that few if no other folks have attempted this costume.

I think I may have found a feet solution too. I'll have to repaint them, obviously, but here are the closest I could find:

http://www.costumeholidayhouse.com/store/results.asp?ID=2648&Sug1=204-51w&Sug2=31593-5w&Sug3=34176-5w&Sug4=10315-10-34w&Sug5=FFX-x-17w&Sug6=900xx-36w

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Chicken Feet!!!
    :D [face_laugh]
    Use latex paint, not acrylic

14. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    Latex paint... got it. And yes, chicken feet. It's the closest I could find [face_blush]

15. 327Nubian

Jul 18, 2009
    [image=http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/ann_gella/Costumes/DSCN0974.jpg]

Here's the top so far (it's the one on the bottom. The one above is my slave Leia). The thing to keep in mind is I re-surfaced it a bit, so it's not as rough now as it is in this picture. Opinions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.