main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in the bible?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Do you believe in the bible?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Prenn, that's my point, though. Your morals come from you, not from the Bible.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Right. But that doesn't mean the Bible hasn't influenced them. Also, my morals come from me and not Steinbeck's East of Eden, yet EofE is has some very compelling things to say about those morals, and has influenced and grown them. Same principle.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread has reminded me of something vewy vewy important:

Where is Arlol? Is he in his Jesus Bunker?

Ender_Sai likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the jesus bunker is in your heart

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Partially semitics too?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So Arlol is in his heart? Cool.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    semiotics, even

8. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I believe every single word of it to be absolutely true.

:)

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Even the unicorns

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There really are unicorns. They are fat, gray, and we call them rhinos.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I believe in many books because I've seen them...and touched them. I can prove they exist.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I still can't get over the title of this thread. I half-expect somebody with the username Doubting_Thomas69 to come along and be all "Except I have smelt the glue in the spine, and my fingers have felt the paper on which the words are printed, and I have caressed the leather binding, I will not believe."

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i believe the children are our future

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So pi = 3?

"And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was an hand breadth thick...." — First Kings, chapter 7, verses 23 and 26

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  15. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That HAD to have been sarcasm. Seriously, do biblical literalists even exist anymore?

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Earth has four corners? (Isaiah 11:12, Ezekial 7:2)

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, but they all live in the Southeast so you fortunate people get to avoid them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    They do, and they deserve all the ridicule they get.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes.

There are four cardinal directions in navigation, north, south, east, and west. This has been the standard way of referring to that concept for centuries now. Are you unfamiliar with it?

"Believing every word" of something means believing the thoughts and content the author meant to convey. It doesn't mean mistaking poetry for prose, metaphor for literal description, or sarcasm for sincerity.

darthhelinith likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Those are not corners, though.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One thing that's hilarious is that so many of the biblical literalists want certain aspects up to interpretation, but only aspects that they choose. The verses indicating that women are inferior to men must be taken literally, but the verses indicating that Jesus changed the water into wine? That wasn't really wine, because wine is bad, that was grape juice.

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    If the Bible is true then so is the Iliad. Every single word.

Plus Troy was actually found using the book. So one point for the Iliad.[face_dancing]

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, which is why the whole discussion of non-literal forms of speech was merited.

If you wanted to have a serious discussion about ancient views of geography, you would realize that the ancient Hebrews, like the Ancient Egyptians and Chinese, didn't believe in a square flat Earth anyway. There conception was an inverted bowl lid. The ground was a flat disc, and the sky fit over top it like the inside of a bowl.

Since discs don't have any "corners" either, this phrase never made literal sense. It was always an artistic expression meant to imply the whole expanse of the Earth, and was widely used and understood as such by a variety of sources. In the verse you quote, it makes even less sense, because being as literal as you are would mean God will only bother to reassemble Jews that literally live at the corner points of the Earth, while ignoring all the ones that live anywhere else on the planet. Yet the subsequent and preceding verses make clear that this in fact intended to discuss all living Jews, not just ones living at four particular locations.

This is probably one of the worst examples you could use to play the "isn't the Bible wrong" game, because it so clearly was not trying to imply what you claim it does.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You may want to read my answer to the question I posted in this thread before you go accusing me of playing any sort of "game." Here, I'll quote it for you

There.
    Now, I wasn't talking to you, and I'm not interested in talking to you. I was responding to a post made by Rainbow dumb name.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At least we moved from trashing his/her convictions to simply insulting their name. Hopefully, if the latter grows tiresome they have a disability we can piss all over, too.

Violent Violet Menace and Zapdos like this.