main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think animated movies of EU novels a re a good idea

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Yuuzhanvong1000, Feb 26, 2003.

?

Do you think animated movies of EU novels a re a good idea

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Sounds good

56.0%
  2. Maybe..

15.5%
  3. Probably not

8.3%
  4. I'd rather have my intestines eaten by Ewoks

20.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
  2. doubleofive

doubleofive Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2002
    only if its the thrawn trilogy.

3. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    mabey if they can pull off the book with good characterization matching the novel.

4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    No. Waste of time and money. If there are to be animated movies, I want to see something totally new, not a re-hashed novel or comic.

TC

5. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Look, I'm the first person to vote "Sounds good", and I kicked it up from 0 to 16%!! Yeah, I'd like to see maybe the Zahn trilogy, but what I'd really like to see is the NJO series, or at least part of it. Maybe just the hardbacks? That way we could see the new generation of Jedi at work, and we could focus more on the young Solos, who are very interesting characters IMHO.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't read the books, but I am aware of some of the terrible things that the EU come up with.

It would have to depend on the novel. I wouldn't like it to be released at the cinema's like Toy Story, but a half an hour show based on a series of books couldn't be a bad idea.

7. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I have heard how the Expanded Universe butchers the main characters in the Star Wars Films and some of the stories are stupid beyond belief! Palpatine having children? A clone called Luuke? [face_shocked]

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Palps coming back several times. Luke turning to the darkside. Chewies demise.

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    And people enjoy that type of thing? [face_shocked]

10. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    As long as they produce the "Citizen Kane" of EU Stories as a cartoon, I'd be happy.

That, of course, is the one where IG-88 becomes the brain of the Death Star.

UKS

11. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    IG-88 as the Death Star II is definitely THE story to do.

I've always wanted to see the best of the EU done in a continuing animated series called "Star Wars: The New Republic," which would start with the post-ROTJ comedown like in Truce at Bakura, and roll on through the Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire, etc.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny how people judge something based on the few negative elements of it without even being aware of the positives at all first. Believe or not, 90% of the stories are pretty good ::)

Personally, I'd rather have an animated series or, better yet, a live action series that acts as an epic adaptation of the various EU material. Be a good chance to smooth over the small handful of minor inconsistancies and open some of the better stories up to a larger audience.

My suggestion is fully detailed in this thread:

Quest's EU TV Show Layout!

13. Valiant_Starlight

Valiant_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2003
    A TV series about some of the more interesting novels could not be as bad as The Star Wars Adventure Journals.

We're talking a cartoon, not major production. Of course it depends on the quality of the story. I would like to see Dark Empire(if the are real careful, or The New Jedi Order would be interesting. If the animation was fast-paced and unique, they would not be that bad.

14. Valiant_Starlight

Valiant_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2003
    A TV series about some of the more interesting novels could not be as bad as The Star Wars Adventure Journals.

We're talking a cartoon, not major production. Of course it depends on the quality of the story. I would like to see Dark Empire(if the are real careful, or The New Jedi Order would be interesting. If the animation was fast-paced and unique, they would be pretty cool.

15. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    I see it as being maybe an hour-hour and a half annually released animated film of the key novels (Thrawn, Dark Empire(I don't like it but it has a lot of impact), and the Jedi Academy, culminating with the NJO). And possibly, each NJO having a different art style ( Changing like the authors of each book).

16. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I'd like to see the NJO in some kind of movie/cartoon format.

17. SarumanTheChef2

SarumanTheChef2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2001
    Heir to the Empire is genius, wonderful wonderful EU(and also the first real EU, and still the best). I read most of the stuff after, and all of it plaed in comparision to the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

The HttE trilogy(aka Thrawn trilogy) is the only one I read which even began to really get the characters well, and honestly felt anything like true Star Wars. Zahn really had a knack for the characters, and crafted a very good story that was a solid addition to the Star Wars mythology. and also, Thrawn is one of the greatest villians I've seen, anywhere. In the top 20, certainly, and I love villains so thats saying something :).

Some of it is kind of out of date(it was written in 1991, way before the prequels, and involves clones and such on its own terms since no one else had adressed them), but its nothing that couldn't easily be shifted to fit in more with the information gleaned from the prequels; e.g., add a scene with Luke being led to Kamino and finding out the cloning facilities were moved to the planets they were at in the books; stuff like that. And the issue of cloning Jedi is not really tackled in the prequels, so its still pretty open, and thus some of the material in the Thrawn trilogy remains believable.

And whoever said annually, I really don't think they need to be that far apart, heh. This isn't live-action LOTR here, its basic equivalent to about a season's worth of any other normal animated show(6 hours, divided into 30 minute segments, is 12 30-minute 'episodes'). So they could just do whole thing at once, and show it 3 weeks in a row like your typical miniseries. The Stand was 8 hours, and live-action, and that was made pretty quickly. The Thrawn Trilogy would be about 2 hours less, so itd be made in about same amount of time(animation probbaly takes a bit longer). You get the idea...

Cool thing: Mark Hamill has been doing voice-acting for the last 15 years or so as his job(most notably the Joker on the 7-year Batman series), so he could easily do the voice of Luke :). I bet Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, etc. would also be willing to do voice-acting for a TV thing. Harrison Ford is a different story though, lol...

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm unsure about the prospect of EU novel cartoons, for the sole reason of continuity. As long as the shorts does not have any major continuity problems, then I'm fine with the whole idea, providing of course that it happens one day.

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    If they followed the books psychotically, yes. If they're going to screw them up, then obviously no.

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It it's about the X-Wing series, I'd approve.

21. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Same with me - I'd love to see the X-Wing books made into a movie (done well and with respect for the books, of course). I think Zoe Wanamaker (who played Madame Hooch) would be a good choice for the voice of Ysanne Isard (Imperials must have British accents!).

22. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I think it would be awesome,i'd love to see the NJO as a Cartoon series,especially with the Yuuzhan Vong in action,sacrificing infidels,enslaving planets,fighting jedi,smashing Coruscant to the point that the entire kilometers deep global city is completely reduced to kilometers deep global rubble,and then rebuilding their jungle homeworld on top of the ruins [face_devil]

23. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Certain EU series, such as The X-Wing novels, the NJO, maybe the Tales of the Jedi, would be fine. A cartoon version of the Thrawn Trilogy...I'd be afraid they might not do it justice, but if they could manage to pull off a good product, then I'd be all for it. Good way of showing fans who haven't read the books or comics what the EU is all about.

24. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I'd like three episodes, 1.5-2 hours each, adapting the Thrawn Trilogy into a cartoon.

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The X-Wing series would be very well suited to TV.

DoY [face_love] the X-Wing series!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.