main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

do you use music when you GM??

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by DarthArraKul, Aug 19, 2003.

?

do you use music when you GM??

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. only Star Wars soundtracks

32.2%
  2. any movie soundtrack

34.5%
  3. the radio

2.3%
  4. no

12.6%
  5. other

18.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
  2. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    in the old days i used to make tapes for specific types of scenes... nowadays i can prise the gods for the gift of the 300 cd changer

3. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i've decided that "Anvil of Crom," the theme song from Conan the Barbarian is going to double as the Mandalorian Theme Song in my current game.

4. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of the best game night soundtracks ever

5. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Recently, I've acquired some more CDs for gaming and I've found the sound track for Independence Day is a real suprise at game time! It has the same feel as the SW themes! For an onslaught with the Yuuzhan Vong, Firestorm gets a tremedous response from my players. Add to that Aftermath and The Presidents speech, and you've got real emotion from the players pouring out. They want to kick Yuuzhan Vong butt!! Then comes The Day We Fight Back. Follow that with Jolly Roger for the coupe de grace and Bamm battle over! For more dark ominous music, make use of the Aliens soundtrack for the scary discovery. All of it's good. See what you think!

6. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    both are good.. have been using them for quite a while...

horners stuff on aliens is great

7. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    also... check out the st from plain old ALIEN.. jerry goldsmiths stuff is pretty good for a creeopout session

8. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    finally bought the soundtrack from matrix3 and it has some great action tunes on it...

i am thinking the minority report ST willbe the next one for gaming... there's nothing better than some John Willims to get the players thru a session

9. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I imagine that NeoDammerung from the Matrix Soundtrack would work well for a Dramtic moment in action. Navras is good too.

I plan to use both if I ever get a game going.

Jabba

10. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    A hardy hear, hear for the J.W. man. His tunes are always a hit at my table top sessions too! For that matter Jerry Goldstien's no slouch either!

11. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    We've taken to putting on music while we game to have something in the background, but I don't plan any of the music for particular events in the game.
    Although we do tend to use SW soundtracks a lot, to help out the overall mood.

12. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    For our Warhammer games we started using old Christian marching music. Definately a nice addition for the WFRP world.

13. MethaneDealer

MethaneDealer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    I've mostly used the st from Ep. I & II, Fellowship of the Ring, Braveheart, The Last Crusade, some Cowboy Bebop, some Trigun, some FF stuff, and a little Mozart (specifically the Requiem Mass, it's great for a fight with a creepy Sith or a mysterious sorcerer in D&D!). I try to avoid anything that isn't instrumental. Also, I've downloaded a lot of John Williams' other stuff from movies like Tears of the Sun, The Patriot, and The Hunt for Red October. I also have some Ennio Morricone (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), Michael Kamen (Highlander, Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves), and Steve Graziano (Terminator, The Rock, and Highlander: Endgame). Haven't tried these in game yet, but they should be good.

14. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    I tend to use the SW scores exclusively for my SW RPG's. It's rare if I use anything else, but one notable exception was a scenerio I loosely based off of the movie Speed (with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock). The player's ship jumped to hyperspace with a bomb on board that would explode if they dropped out of hyperspace. They had to figure out how to disarm the bomb and/or escape the ship before they had to drop to realspace for a course correction. I used many cuts from the Speed soundtrack CD (the actual score, not the "inspired by" pop CD). It worked out pretty well. They managed to escape the ship, but the bomb did explode, which set them up to be rescued by the FarStar, a New Republic corvette on it's way to the Kathol sector...

For other games like AD&D (Dark Sun or Ravenloft), Mutants & Masterminds (superheroes) or Traveller, I use a variety of stuff including Conan, Waterworld, 1979 Dracula, the other Dracula, Superman the Movie, The Mummy, Mummy Returns, StarGate & SG1, Rocketeer and many others. For Traveller, I use Babylon 5 and Alien/Aliens music, with a little Star Trek II/III thrown in.

My players get very upset with me if I don't have any music for a particular game session.

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    How can you tell the difference between James Horner's work on Aliens and JH's work on StarTrek2? Let's face it, most of it is identical, especially the climactic battle music.

As for Independance Day, I find it very ironic that a movie with Smith and Goldblum has Deutschland Ueberalles as the central musical motif. Perhaps it was the composer's joke at the expense of the movie &/or the attitudes displayed in it.

An interesting source of BGM is on www.doctorwho.co.uk, where you can get the music from the various Doctor Who radio programs. Very good when you need creepy stuff.

16. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    From Koohi,

<How can you tell the difference between James Horner's work on Aliens and JH's work on StarTrek2? Let's face it, most of it is identical, especially the climactic battle music>

I can tell the difference, but I use the Aliens stuff for battle music, and Leaving Spacedock/Clearing Moorings/End Titles stuff from STII/III for space transitions or "cutscenes."

I agree that the Aliens battle music and the Khan battle themes are very similar, but they are not identical.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Worse than Aliens/Khan is Krull/Khan...

There are entire sequences lifted note-for-note from the ending of the Mutara Nebula battle and the climactic escape from the Black Fortress...

18. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    Aliens/ST2 no.. not anywhere near the same. listen to the whole piece and not just the soundbyte..

however, Krull.. now that is a different story.. very very close to ST2..

but if you take a good listen to any of Horners works you will notice a similarity between scores that come out around the same time..

please tho.. i like Horner and would apprecaite if this dosen't turn into one of the Horner bashing threads that appears over in the music forum..

19. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    There's a music forum?

No one's responded to my comments about ID4. Do people not know Deutschland Ueberalles?

20. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    no i missed that on ID4.. i will have to listen to it again soon..

and yes there is a music forum.. STAR WARS and FILM MUSIC... just go to the top right and scroll down from Jedi Council Boards

21. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    anyone have any new tunes they use for gaming out there?????

22. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well actually I came across one that seemed to be quite a suprise. John McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in their performance of Michael Mann's screen play adoption of James Finemore Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans". I was awestruck!

Main title: Excellent for intro to the game.
    Elk Hunt: Great chase scene.
    Ambush: Tragedy/death scene/epic battle w little hope.
    Fort Battle: Hopeless battle scene.
    The Kiss: Very touching scene for serious role play.
    Stockade: Bad situation scene.
    Massacre: Pretty much says it all. Real tearjerker.
    Ascent/Pursuit: Aftermath. Body littered battlefield.
    Promontary: Oh God that one cries vengence! (Chase scene. Death of British Officer. Death of Chingachkuk's son. Death of the Scottsman's younger daughter when she jumps to her death to escape Magua. Death of Magua at Chingachkuk's hands.)
    Top of the world: A beautiful score for a parting of the road for comrades and friends, a last farwell and closure.

This sound track is not your normal every day gaming mood setter. It has a lot of power to it! Trust me on this one!

23. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Not a bad choice, as McNeely also did the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. Also with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

24. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Small Soldiers
    The 6TH Day
    Hard to Beat by Rare Air (funky bagpipe rock/jazz/??? band)
    Space Piper by Rare Air
    Over the Sea to Skye by James Galway and the Chieftans
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Hamlet (Keneth Brannah version)
    The Resurrected

25. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    who did Hamlet???

anyone out there have anything new????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.