main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] UDC 5: Thread Accumulating Response Drabbles in Sets - Set W now up! (10-2-10)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Salacious_Drabb, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes, I'm really taking the plunge, but for this Ultimate Drabble Challenge response thread, it will be an all-Doctor Who (and spin-offs) affair. The only restrictions that I'm imposing on myself are one against crossovers -- I was tempted to make one of this first set into one but resisted -- and no two drabbles in a set can be set during the same Doctor's tenure or within the same spin-off.

Set A

Title: Doctor in the TARDIS
    Doctor: None (Fourth)
    Rating: G
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Doctor."

Sarah started to rise. "It's not that bad. Can't I just walk it off?"

"Don't move!" Harry hissed. "Stay seated and hold tight, because this is going to hurt." He knelt down, grabbed her leg, and reset her knee.

Sarah screamed and lashed out with her other leg, kicking Harry's shoulder. "That bloody hurt!"

"I told you. Hold still while I see if this TARDIS has anything you can use for a splint." He left the room; moments later, she heard him returning, screaming and swearing. "Why," he demanded, "didn't you tell me there was a bloody hospital in here?"

Title: Travelling Companion
    Doctor: Second
    Rating: PG
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Companion."

"Zoe, let me do the talking," the Doctor whispered. He turned back to the door and knocked just as he'd been instructed to.

The door opened, and they were led inside. A man in an expensive suit sat back with his feet up on his desk. "You the Doctor?"

The Doctor nodded.

"And who's this?" the man asked.

"I'm Zoe Heriot. I'm the Doctor's companion."

The man grinned. "Companion, eh? Hey, Doctor, you old dog! How'd you bag a cutie like her?"

"But-" Zoe stammered. Her face turned bright red.

"This," the Doctor whispered, "was why I didn't bring Jamie."

Title: Man of the Year
    Doctor: Third
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Time."

The Brigadier stormed into the lab and dropped a magazine down in front of the Doctor. "Who is that?"

"I've never seen him before in my lives," the Doctor said.

"The cover says he's you."

"Brigadier, I hardly have a monopoly on 'Doctor'. It also says he's their Man of the Year, whatever that means."

"Could he be a past self?" Jo wondered.

"You've met them."

"Oh, right."

"Is he your future self?" the Brigadier asked.

"How can I possibly answer that?" the Doctor growled. "Even a Time Lord doesn't know his own future."

"Too bad," Jo said. "He's cute."

Title: Spatial Reasoning
    Doctor: None
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Space."

The Master didn't even turn around when he smelled Thock's approach. "Is the casing aboard my TARDIS?"

"Yes," the Ogron said. "Thock smart. Thock clever."

"Why don't I like the sound of that?"

"Morg say Dalek not fit in tiny box, but Thock say Master not stupid. If Master say it fit, then Thock make it fit!"

The Master grabbed Thock's collar, and dragged him to the TARDIS. "I went through a lot of trouble to get that casing!" He shoved Thock inside.

"Is big room?"

"How," the Master yelled, "did an oaf like you demolish a Dalekanium casing?"

"Skill?"

Title: His Ark Materials
    Doctor: Sixth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Dimensions."

"Yo, Doc!" Frobisher yelled.

"Stop calling me 'Doc'!"

"Fine, fine, I'll get right on that," Frobisher said. "Why do you have a boat in there?"

The Doctor smiled innocently. "Have I?"

"Yeah, a honkin' big wooden thing, missing its front half."

"Yes, my ark," the Doctor said. "I was building it from a kit, just as a diversion, but my tape measure had the wrong kind of cubits, so I was making it too big. I never got around to finding another kit for enough parts to handle the increased dimensions."

Frobisher nodded knowingly. "What the spack is a cubit?"

2. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    This set includes my first-ever drabbles with three more recent companions (two guys off telly and a woman off the radio).

Set B

Title: Islands in the Timestream
    Doctor: Eleventh
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Island."

The Doctor grasped his companions' shoulders. "Yes, I need you! 'No man is an island.' You know who said that? John Donne."

Rory frowned. "I thought we were islands in the stream."

"Who said that, then?" the Doctor asked.

"It's a song."

"Well, who sang it?"

"That pair off Gavin & Stacey," Amy answered.

"That may have been a cover," Rory said. Together, they tried humming the song.

The Doctor shrugged. "Don't know it." He started to turn away, then stopped. "Dolly Parton! It was Dolly Parton and... someone. How could you not remember Dolly Parton? She had massive... talent!"

Title: People Haze
    Doctor: Seventh
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Survival."

Ace turned in place, gazing up at the buildings. "It's all a bit normal, isn't it?"

"What did you expect?" the Doctor asked.

"I don't know, something more ethereal."

"It's only the people made of smoke," he said. Around them, grey, wispy forms went about their lives. "Don't get too close, though. You don't want to breathe one in."

She nodded. "They probably wouldn't take too kindly to that, would they?"

"It wouldn't be too healthy for you, either. Why do you think they wear those tags?"

"Yeah, Professor, what are they?"

"Warnings," he said, "from the Galactic Surgeon General."

Title: In Search of...
    Doctor: Eighth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Lost."

The Doctor dug deeper into the wooden chest until his entire torso had disappeared from view. "Lucie," he called out, "would you mind grabbing my legs?"

Lucie obligingly held his feet as he dove further into the curios and miscellany. "Yeah, yeah, I get it," she groused. "Is there anything in this TARDIS that isn't bigger on the inside? What're you looking for, anyway?"

The scrabbling stopped. "Ah. I don't remember. It seemed so important a few minutes ago, too. Well, I'm sure I'll recognize it when I see it," he said. "Unless it's in another chest somewhere, of course."

Title: Thicky Smith
    Doctor: Tenth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Other."

"Doctor," Mickey said, "do you mind if I tell you something?"

"If it's what you did when you were twelve, I don't want to know."

"Nah, it's not that. I like you, Doctor. More than the other one, I mean." He quickly added, "Not like in a gay way. It's just you don't treat me like I'm thick. Not hopelessly thick, anyway."

"I don't think you're thick at all."

"Thanks." Mickey frowned. "Hold on. What did you mean, what I did when I was twelve? Did Rose tell you I did something when I was twelve?"

"Not hopelessly thick, anyway."

Title: Flashing Back
    Doctor: Fourth (mainly)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Flashback."

The Doctor watched as the aliens swarmed into the valley. Something about this seemed familiar.

"Doctor," Romana asked, "have you witnessed something like this before?"

"I'm not sure." He thought back...

Jo turned to the Doctor. "Have you seen this kind of thing before?"

"I may have," he said. "If only I could recall when..."

"Doctor, you look like you just had déjà vu."

He nodded. "Indeed, Victoria. I'm trying to remember why, though..."

"Grandfather! Did you ever see such a thing before?"

"No, Susan," he answered firmly. "No, I have not."

"Sorry, Romana. It'll probably come to me later."

3. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I've decided to open this up to The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood as well, but no more than one (each, potentially) per set.

Set C

Title: The Edge of Everything
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Far."

The Doctor flung open the doors. "The edge of the universe! Out there, nothing but endless, unreachable nothingness!"

"Unreachable?" Amy asked.

"Even the vortex doesn't extend any further," he said.

"What if," she asked, "I took this apple and threw it hard as I can?"

"Don't know. The laws of physics fray a bit this far out. What's that?" Something flew in through the doors; he caught it in one hand. "Try it now, Amy, hard as you can."

Amy threw her apple, and he tossed her what he'd caught. "Is this the same apple?" she asked.

"Now we know."

Title: Cell Reception
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Prisoners."

The Doctor lay back on the bed and closed his eyes. "There's no point in getting worked up," he said.

Sarah Jane kept rattling the cell bars. "You probably get locked all the time, but I'll go mad before too much longer!"

"If you stop yelling and calm down," the Doctor said, "a solution may present itself."

Reluctantly, she sat down beside him. "Fine. Where's this solution of yours?"

Just then, a face appeared at the tiny window. "Hello, Doctor!" he whispered. "We'll have you out of there in a jiffy!"

"You knew he was coming," Sarah said, "didn't you?"

Title: The Keeper's Charge
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Peacekeepers."

The guard stood proudly, his uniform and moustache gleaming. "I'ma da Keeper ofa da Peas!"

"You're a cop?" Ace asked. "How do you chase criminals in that getup?"

"Maybe it's more symbolic, like the Swiss Guard," Benny suggested.

"Ladies," the Doctor said, "this man is Keeper of the Peas. He guards the government's storehouse of the green legume."

Benny laughed. "You're joking! They hoard peas instead of eating them?"

"Oh, wea eat them," the Keeper said. "They're blended into a finea paste for official ceremonies. It'sa da fondest wish ofa every boy and girl justa to see da whirled peas!"

Title: Say Nothing
    Doctor: None (SJA)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Uncharted."

Clyde didn't even look up from his game as his mother let Luke in. "Hey."

"Hey," Luke said. "Oh, I like this game!"

"Don't say a word!" Clyde hissed. "Not a single word, I'm warning you. If you spoil anything about the game, our friendship is over, hear me?"

"Right." He watched quietly as Clyde struggled, dying repeatedly.

"It's like Nathan doesn't want to live!" Clyde groaned. He dropped the controller and turned around for the first time. "Fine, I know you're dying to tell me. How do I get past this level?"

"No spoilers, remember?"

Clyde grinned. "Good answer."

Title: Domestic Violets
    Doctor: Fifth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Scape."

The Doctor paused by the hedgerow. "Adric, have you ever taken the time to stop and smell the first violets of spring?"

"I don't think those are the first ones," Adric said. He nodded toward other clusters along the hedge and in the fields across the road.

The Doctor didn't respond; instead, he plucked a single violet. Holding the flower by its narrow, leafless stem, he inhaled deeply. "Now that," he said, "is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever smelled. On second thought, Adric, don't stop and smell the violets." He closed his eyes and gently toppled forward.

4. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Set D

Title: Sprained Brain
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Smart."

The Doctor set the alien device on the table and opened a panel.

"What are you doing?" Tegan demanded.

The Doctor waved her back. "No distractions! I must concentrate." He stared deep into the device, straight through to its pulsing core. "Must... concentrate..."

"We're behind you, Doctor!" Adric yelled. Nyssa glared, while Tegan backhanded him across the chest. "Sorry."

Just then, the Doctor screamed and fell backward, clutching his head.

"What's wrong?" Nyssa asked.

The Doctor writhed on the floor. "Sprained... a lobe... I think," he stammered.

"Smarts, does it?" Adric quipped. This time, both Tegan and Nyssa hit him.

Title: Helium-Filled Doom
    Notes: The challenge theme was "99."

Brigadier Bambera increased magnification on her binoculars. "Shame!" she whispered. Into her radio, she yelled, "Abort attack! Abort attack!"

"What is it?" Ace wondered.

"Balloons! We almost launched missiles over some balloons. The peace conference delegates would've had my head."

The Doctor peered through the binoculars himself. "I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the threat, Brigadier."

"Over balloons?" Ace asked.

"Balloonians," he said. "Slow but ruthless, merciless alien killers. And they're moving toward your conference."

Bambera swore. "Now you're saying I should launch the missiles?"

"No, you must remember the delegates. There's a subtler way. Anyone have any darts?"

Title: Words to the Wise
    Doctor: None (Tenth)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Chief."

Donna came down into the kitchen and found her mother cooking. "This Shaun seems nice."

"Talking of Shaun," Donna asked, "where is he?"

"With your granddad somewhere. If you see them, tell them dinner's almost ready."

"The chief thing you have to remember," Wilf explained, "is that you're never going to win an argument with our Donna, so there's no point even trying."

Shaun nodded. "Yes, sir."

"And don't you tell her I said that."

The door opened, and Donna looked in. "What are you two talking about?"

"Your loveliness, dear," Shaun said.

Wilf grinned. "Oh, marry this one, Donna."

Title: Lab Lessons
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Agents."

"You must be extremely careful, Jo," the Doctor explained, "when handling chemicals. One mistake could cause a catastrophic reaction."

"Yes, Doctor," Jo said, rolling her eyes.

"Now don't roll your eyes like that. I'm telling you this for your own good."

"I know," she said. "I know. You tell it to me every time for my own good."

"And what happened the one time you didn't listen to me?" he asked.

"I listened to you that time too! I did! I was being very careful, right up until the sneeze."

"Your eyebrows have grown back very nicely, I must say."

Title: Breaking the Bank
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Shoe."

The dealer's first tentacle slid five cards from the shoe, while his second scooped them up with the pallet and set them down in front of the Doctor. "More?" he asked.

The Doctor nodded. "Two, please."

"Och, Doctor!" Jamie whispered. "Are ye nae going to look at your cards?"

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing. I've been playing Venusian Baccarat for, well, for a very long time."

"But if you lose, how will we get Victoria back from those pirates?" Jamie asked.

"Perhaps you're right." The Doctor turned over his cards. "Ah."

"Ye lost, didn't ye?"

"I'm afraid so."

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I love the themes and how you write them in your drabbles. All Doctors;)

6. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks. Partway through working on this set, I decided it might be fun if no Doctors appeared this week. Otherwise, all the rules still applied.

Set E

Title: Lost in a Fog
    Doctor: None (First)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Super."

Gillian held her hand up to her face, then moved it away until she couldn't see it anymore; it disappeared into the fog within a few inches. "John?" she asked.

"Yes?" his voice answered from somewhere nearby.

"This fog is a lot thicker than the kind we had in London, isn't it?"

"Don't worry," he said. "We'll find Grandfather, and he'll help us get out of this. At least the smell isn't so bad anymore."

"It is too. I think your nose has just shut down. John?" she asked again.

"Yes?"

"I don't ever want to come to Tersurus again."

Title: Knocking Out
    Doctor: None (Third)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Bat."

The Brigadier raced down the hall and found Sergeant Benton, still in his cricketing gear, standing over an unconscious body on the floor. "Report."

"Sir," Benton said, his words barely slurred, "the lads and I were returning from a match -- we won, of course -- when I spotted an unfamiliar person sneaking into the admin building by the side door after dark. I sent the others to find you and followed him inside."

"And you knocked him out with your bat?" the Brigadier asked.

"He was breaking into an office, sir."

"I see. Sergeant Benton, meet our new captain, Mike Yates."

Title: Friend of Elton
    Doctor: None (Torchwood)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Wonder."

While Ianto set up for the briefing, Jack sat back and relaxed. "By the way, Elton was wondering if-"

"You know Elton John?" Gwen gushed from the doorway. "The Elton John?"

Jack leaped to his feet. "What's that supposed to mean? What, you think that because I like men I must know Elton John? I thought you of all people would be past such ignorant stereotypes!"

Gwen stammered, "But you said..."

Jack suddenly grinned. "I'm just yanking your chain. We've been friends since I saved him from Autons in the seventies."

"I," Gwen hissed, "hate you. Can I meet him?"

Title: Sphere of Heights
    Doctor: None (Sixth)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Hawk."

Peri squeezed through the crowds of stallholders; she'd already bought more than enough clothes, and she had to meet the Doctor soon.

Suddenly, a small man stepped out in front of her, shoving a glittering sphere in her face. "Miss! You need to buy this now!"

"A paperweight?"

"No! It's so much more!" he insisted. "You look into it, and it lifts your mind to a higher level of consciousness! Sounds will be clearer! Smells sharper! Colours brighter!"

"Wow, just the three things I want when I'm screaming for my life in an alien sewer with the Doctor beside me."

Title: The Creature in the Depths
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Lantern."

The watchman stood at the top of the cellar stairs and held his lantern high. "Is- is anybody down there?" Somewhere in the darkness, something metal rolled. "Who's there? If there's anyone there, say something. Please?" he added with a whimper. Nothing moved.

"Right then." He slowly descended the stairs. At the bottom, he said, "I'm going to find you, so you may as well come out."

When he saw the giant green form lurching toward him, he dropped the lantern and ran back up as quickly as he could.

"Well," the Tythonian ambassador rumbled, "that could have gone better."

7. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Set F

Title: Words Lost in Time
    Doctor: First
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Destiny."

Steven winced as the nail slipped from his grasp, and he instead brought the hammer down on his thumb. "Spack!" he yelled.

"Steven!" the Doctor gasped. "There's a young lady present! There's no reason to swear like a sailor!"

"But I am a sailor." The Doctor just glared. "Fine," Steven relented. "Sorry, Doctor. Sorry, Dodo."

"Steven," Dodo asked, "what is spack, anyway?"

"It's not a nice word," the Doctor said. "Just forget you heard it."

"It's from your future," Steven added, more gently.

Dodo nodded. "Gotcha. In my time we were still using..."

The Vortex echoed with the Doctor's screams.

Title: Mystery of the Judoon
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Legacy."

"Hands up!" Martha and the Doctor raised their hands and slowly turned around; two Judoon had their weapons drawn. One turned to the other. "Watch the prisoners. I'll inform the Captain, yeah." He turned to leave.

Martha glanced over at the Doctor. "Doctor, why are you grinning?" she muttered.

The Judoon turned back around. "Doctor?" he asked, his voice cracking slightly. "New plan. You tell the Captain, and I guard, yeah?"

When they were alone, the Doctor laughed. "Martha Jones, meet Ker'a'nol," he said. "Keri's the best undercover journalist in the galaxy! Even distorted, I'd recognise that voice anywhere!"

Title: Cloning Around
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Hope."

"That's my clone, huh? It's almost like I'm looking into a mirror."

"You are looking into a mirror, Fitz," Anji said. "The clones are over here."

Fitz shrugged. "But the real clones just look green and veiny and bald. If they weren't naked, I wouldn't know which was which."

"Doctor, why are they green?" Anji asked. "Is it the hyperevolution thing?"

"Well, artificially accelerated evolution is never an exact science, but..." He turned to Professor Shephardi. "Why are they green?"

The professor blushed. "I'm sorry. I accidentally used unsterilised dishes. Your clones are part frog. But I'm discovering amazing things!"

Title: Tracks of My Years
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Future."

"Wow," Amy said. "Just wow."

The Doctor stood in the library doorway. "That didn't sound like a good 'Wow'."

"I knew you were old, but I never realised you were... wow." Amy gestured toward a shelf stacked with 8-track tapes. "I don't think I'd ever seen one before, not really, only heard about them on shows. Didn't even know what they were at first."

"Then you've learned something today, haven't you?"

"I've never even heard of most of these bands," Amy said. "Who's Plasticine?"

"Punk band, singer was a dear friend. Want to listen?" he offered.

"Punk? No way."

Title: Find Your Fate
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Fate."

The Doctor looks up from the console and stares at you. "Who are you and what are you doing in here?"

"I'm your companion," you say.

He considers this for a moment.

If you want to try to persuade him to-

"No," he says.

"Wait, what? Wasn't I supposed to have a choice there?"

"It's my TARDIS," he declares. "I'm through with these games and through having companions imposed on me!"

The Doctor shoves you out of the TARDIS, and it dematerialises immediately afterward. You turn around and see that you're right in front of where you live.

THE END

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    loved these sets and the last one was WOW=D=

9. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thank you. I hope you enjoy these as well.

Set G

Title: A Quiet Game
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Iron."

Ian watched as his ball sailed along the fairway, landing near the green. "Doctor, we should come to more places like this."

"Excellent shot, sir," their robotic caddy droned.

"Yes, Chesterton," the Doctor said, "it's not often we get a chance to relax. I wonder how Susan and Barbara are doing at the spa, hmm?"

"Better than you, I hope," Ian quipped as the Doctor's ball fell into a sand trap. "I'm just enjoying that nobody's tried to kill us yet."

"Oh, there are no murderers on this planet," the caddy said. "They were evacuated with all the other humans."

Title: Memory Match
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Challenge."

As the small crowd applauded, the man in the green suit shouted, "Who's next to challenge the Magnificent Memory Maestro?"

"Please, Doctor?" Zoe begged.

"No," the Doctor whispered. "You've had training a century in advance of anything available now. It wouldn't be fair."

Zoe sighed. "I guess you're right."

"What's this?" the showman yelled. "A cute widdle girl thinks she can stand against the Memory Maestro?"

"Ach, let her go," Jamie said.

The Doctor nodded. "Do it."

"Once he stopped crying," the Doctor said, "he was nice enough to offer you a job, Memory Miss."

"I'll stick with Zoe, thanks."

Title: Wimbledon and Donna
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Stadium."

Wilf smiled as his wife entered, practically dragging their granddaughter behind her. "How was the tennis?" he asked.

"You were right. Heavens, were you right."

"She's only five, dear," Wilf said. He knelt down and beckoned Donna over. "You didn't like the tennis, sweetie?"

Donna shook her head. "Was boring."

"She spent the entire time embarrassing me by running around the stands looking for Wombles."

"Grampa would've helped me find them!" Donna yelled. "Wouldn't you, Gramps?"

"Donna," Wilf said, "the Wombles live in Wimbledon Common, not at the tennis stadium."

Donna stared at him. "I know that! I ain't thick!"

Title: Executive Orders
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Chairman."

The Doctor burst into the outer office, Benny right behind. "We need to see the chairman now!"

The receptionist hid her shock quickly. "He asked not to be disturbed," she stammered.

"But the mining on Plessolther Minor must be stopped!" He threw open the doors to the chairman's inner sanctum. "Ah."

"Right," Benny said. "He's not here."

The Doctor raced across the spacious office to the large desk and began reading an open file. "Benny, let's go."

"What? You're joking!"

"No." He showed her the file. "That's my signature."

"The chairman's you?" she gasped. "I hate when you do that!"

Title: The Counterfeit Cuisine
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Chef."

"I'll have you know, Mel, I am a gourmet chef. I've worked with Escoffier himself! He would have died before using-" The Doctor read the box in his hand. "-'Egg substitute'!"

"He probably did," Mel said. "Doctor, you have to start watching your cholesterol."

"I'm not human; I'm a Time Lord, remember?"

"So? Do Time Lord arteries not get clogged?"

The Doctor started to retort, then stopped and paused before saying, "Well, if I do have a heart attack, at least I have a spare."

Mel didn't laugh. "That's not funny."

"I thought it was."

"And don't pout," Mel snapped.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice new set, loved them all

11. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks.

Set H

Title: Passing for Human
    Doctor: Twelfth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Ducks."

Dorandra gaped at the humans bustling about the marketplace. "Doctor, I'm nervous."

"Are you sure these apes can't see us?" Maldro asked.

"To them, we're just three more humans," the Doctor said. "Enjoy it. You're among one of my favourite species."

"Hello there, ducks!" a grinning stallkeeper beckoned. "See anything you fancy?"

The companions' eyes widened; the Doctor quickly pulled them away. "That's just a term of endearment!" he whispered. "The perception filter's still working!"

Maldro hissed, "But he said-"

"Trust me! If he could see through it, his response wouldn't have been flirting with your wife."

"He was WHAT?!"

Title: Currency Exchange
    Doctor: Fourth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Money."

The Doctor swayed more than slightly as he pulled a random assortment from his pocket and dropped them onto the bar. He set aside the silvery tetrahedron, the glowing toroid, and the robotic insect, which scampered off. "Wrong planet," he slurred.

He then separated out the foreign coins. "Wrong country, but we're getting closer."

"Wrong century," he muttered as he took back a few more. "Wait a moment, wait a moment." He seemed to sober instantly. "Wrong century?" He held up a golden guinea from 1675 and grinned. "What will this get me?"

The bartender considered. "Free drinks for life?"

Title: Uncle Forwarding
    Doctor: None (Third)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Uncle."

Jo stopped when the Brigadier called out to her. "Ah, Miss Grant," he said. "Just the person I was looking for. Have you spoken to your uncle recently?"

"No, not since you asked me to ask him last week about UNIT's funding."

"Yes, well, that's what I was hoping to-"

"And it's odd," she interrupted, "because when I tried to call him yesterday about something else, they said that his number had changed and that they couldn't give me the new one because I wasn't on the list. I know it's just a mistake, but-"

"Never mind," the Brigadier said.

Title: Just What the Doctor Ordered
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Gizmo."

Peri was sure she and the Doctor had been in worse situations, but just now, she couldn't think what they could be. "So, Doctor, any ideas to get us out of this one?" she asked.

He patted his pockets. "I'm sure I have something here to... aha!" He pulled out a silver device, a thick cylinder with wider nodules at each end. "This should just do the trick." He turned it one way, then the other in his hand. "I hope."

"What's it do?" Peri asked. The Doctor glared at her. "You don't know, do you?"

"Not as such, no."

Title: The Holo Woman
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Tales."

She stepped back from the console as the Doctor bounded into the room. "There you are!" he said. "I was going to tell you about-"

"Heard it."

"What? How?"

Her image flickered. "I hacked into the TARDIS telepathic circuits."

"Why?"

"Now I'll know before you do when you're being an idiot. Besides, your rambling stories were making me sick."

"But I thought-"

She glared at him. "You're a man. All men love to prattle on about themselves. 'I did this. I'm doing that. I'm gonna do the other.' Don't think at me like that, sunshine. You chose Jackie Tyler's image!"

12. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    You might look at this and think, "Wait a minute, you skipped I!" Well, yes. For those who don't know, the classic series used letters for stories, from A to Z, AA to ZZ, and so on, up through 7Q. But they never used I. [They also skipped O five times, U three times, and V once.]

Set J

Title: Like Nowhere Else
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Murder."

The Doctor grinned and spread his arms wide, nearly hitting several passersby. "London!" he intoned, breathing in deeply. "No other city in the universe smells quite like it!"

"Doctor," Leela said, "I have been here before. It was nothing like this."

"Yes, well, that was more than a hundred years ago. There've been a few changes." He paused briefly, lost in thought. "I'm hungry. Are you hungry? I don't know about you, but I could murder a kebab about now."

Leela frowned. "But you told me murder was wrong."

"We can make an exception just this once. Now come along!"

Title: The Wakefield Cycle
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Mystery."

Nyssa watched the performers on the stage, but she wasn't sure she was following the storyline. "What are they doing?" she asked.

"It's a story from the Bible," the Doctor said, "one of Earth's primary religious texts."

"It's a parable?"

"Not exactly. These plays survive centuries, but little information about them does," he explained. "By Tegan's time, they're credited only to the 'Wakefield Master'."

Nyssa gasped. "Master?"

"Just a coincidence." He led her around behind the stage, where a familiar figure was scribbling away at a parchment. "Or perhaps not."

"Surprised, Doctor?" the Master asked. "Nobody's wholly evil, even me."

Title: Writers What I Have Known
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Writer."

"Is this," Amy asked, "the part where you start dropping the names of all the famous authors you've met?"

"No. No!" the Doctor insisted. "No, absolutely not! No way. I could do, of course, but no. I'm not even going to mention Will Shakespeare or Charles Dickens, Agatha Christie, Cervantes, Wells, Doyle, Nesbit..."

"And how is that not dropping names?"

"Well, okay," the Doctor admitted. "But I like dropping names. It's fun. And I saw that look in your eye. You were impressed, right?"

Amy grinned. "Yeah, I'm not ashamed to say I was a Five Children and It fangirl."

Title: The Golden Years
    Doctor: Ninth
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Retired."

Rose stumbled out of the woods and found herself on the manicured lawn of someone's estate. Without pausing, she kept running, but she could sense the giant scorpion getting closer.

"Get down!"

Rose fell to the ground as someone fired several shots past her and into the scorpion, which collapsed and died.

An older man, service revolver in hand, helped her to her feet. "Are you hurt, miss?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks," she said. "Rose Tyler."

He shook her hand. "Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, Retired."

The Doctor finally arrived, grinning broadly. "And you, sir?" the Brigadier asked.

"Fantastic! Just fantastic!"

Title: The Importance of Education
    Doctor: None (First)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Teacher."

"Ian, I can't believe you're fighting me on this," Barbara said.

Ian put his hands on her shoulders. "I'm not fighting, just disagreeing. We're not in school anymore, and like it or not, we're no longer Susan's teachers."

"She's still a child. She needs an education."

"She's getting one we'd never have dreamed possible."

"That's not the same, and you know it," Barbara said.

"I know, and I agree in theory," Ian conceded, "but what she could learn from two humans from the twentieth century? She could teach us more than we'd ever teach her."

Barbara grinned. "That's the answer."

13. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    All of the drabbles were great! I love Dr. Who! Nice job!

14. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks.

Set K

Title: To See the Captain
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Captain."

The guards levelled their guns at the Doctor and Lucie. "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

The Doctor ignored the weapons. "Where," he demanded, "is the captain of this ship?"

"She's far too busy to deal with a pair of stowaways," the guard officer said.

"But it's imperative that we speak to her immediately!"

"About what?"

"Ah." The Doctor hesitated. "Right. Well, you see, gentlemen-"

"Wedding!" Lucie yelled suddenly. "Yes, that's it! We need the captain to marry us right away!"

The Doctor grinned. "Why, Lucie, I never knew you cared."

"Shut it," she whispered through clenched teeth.

Title: Tea and Sympathy
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Pilot."

Alan set the tea down on the table and handed Maria a cup. "You know who we haven't seen lately?" he asked suddenly.

Maria, caught in the middle of a sip, started choking. "What?" she gasped eventually. "Who?"

"That girl from when we first moved in. What was her name? Kelly?"

"You nearly killed me over Kelsey Harper?" Maria laughed, rolling her eyes.

"Sorry, just occurred to me. Whatever happened to her?"

"Don't ask," Maria groaned. "Yuck, tea went up my nose!"

"I know. There's some dribbling out," Alan said, dabbing at her face with a napkin.

Maria giggled. "Dad!"

Title: Racing with the Wind
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Mechanic."

Donna flinched at the roar echoing up the corridor from somewhere within the TARDIS. It grew louder until she saw the Doctor round the corner ahead of her, racing down the hall on a motorcycle.

He pulled up in front of her. "Fancy a ride?"

"You're not getting me on that thing," she said. "Not now, not ever! Why do you have a motorcycle in here, anyway?"

He grinned. "I built it myself!"

"You what?"

"I'm very handy with a spanner," he said. "Well, various versions of me have been. You're sure you don't want a lift?"

"I'll walk, thanks."

Title: Will Work for Food
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Mercenary."

The Doctor and Jo peered over the edge of the bluff. Alien mercenaries patrolled the base below. "What are they?" Jo asked.

"Androgums, a particularly nasty sort but not ones you'll usually find working as guns for hire. I wonder what these are doing here."

"Simple," a voice behind them said. They slowly turned; another Androgum stood a few yards away, his rifle aimed right at Jo. "We get to eat what we kill."

"They're cannibals?" Jo gasped.

"If need be," the Doctor explained, "but eating us wouldn't be cannibalism."

"What would it be?"

The Androgum grinned. "A job perk."

Title: Serenity How?
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Serenity."

The Doctor stepped from the TARDIS and inhaled deeply. The dew on the grass glistened, and the only sound for miles was the gentle hum of the early morning insects. Just being here calmed him, relaxed his body and mind.

"Hey, Doctor! Doctor where are you?"

His reverie shattered, the Doctor yelled back, "I'm out here, Mel!"

Moments later, Mel joined him. "It's beautiful," she said.

"I was enjoying the tranquillity until someone started shouting."

"Sorry. I'll just do some yoga."

"Thank you."

Mel sat on the grass, crossed her legs, and closed her eyes. "Ohm. Ohm. Ohm."

"Mel!"

"Sorry!"

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I think the best thing about these sets is that I never know exactly which Doctor Who character is going to be used - so each one is a nice surprise. :D

I like all of them, so it would take an awfully long time to quote favrouite parts, but there is one thing that made me really excited:

"By Tegan's time, they're credited only to the 'Wakefield Master'."

Nyssa gasped. "Master?"

"Just a coincidence." He led her around behind the stage, where a familiar figure was scribbling away at a parchment. "Or perhaps not."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Mystery Plays, FTW! You've made this theatre student incredibly happy, I think this is the first time I've run into a medieval theatre reference outside of school. [face_laugh] (And the reference to the Master was an added bonus ;) ).

16. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thank you. :)

Set L

Title: Response to Responsibility
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Office."

"Don't you lecture me!" the minister screamed. "Don't you even presume to lecture me, you cocky little meddlers. You haven't the least understanding of what I have to do here! Until you've held high political office, you can't begin to fathom the responsibility!"

"I was Lord President of Gallifrey," the Doctor said. "I understand better than you think, and I know that, however bad things get, genocide is never the answer."

"Really? And how did you deal with your crises?"

The Doctor stammered a moment, then fell silent.

"Could you repeat that?" the minister asked.

"He ran away," Tegan said.

Title: TAR-DIY
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Sales."

"What," the Citadel guard snarled, "is that supposed to be?"

"It's my TARDIS!" Drax announced, beaming. "I built it myself."

The guard tapped the craft, and flakes of its outer shell broke off. "From what? Scrap?"

"One man's scrap is another man's opportunity. Some pieces were recovered from junkyards, but don't underestimate what you can find in those. The rest I got from secondary markets, overstocks, or holiday sales. The time rotor, for example? Owned by a little old lady who only used it to visit Sundays."

"I don't know," the guard said, "whether to have it towed or destroyed."

Title: A Quick Hop
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Accounting."

"There is," the Doctor said, "simply no accounting for taste, Alistair."

"Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same thing."

"I'm trying to broaden your horizons."

The Brigadier read the tickets again. "These are for ten years from now, on another continent."

"That's only a quick hop for the TARDIS."

"Doctor," the Brigadier said, "even if I hadn't heard enough stories from both you and Miss Grant about your difficulties with that machine, I would be hesitant to go gallivanting through time just to watch cars with giant tyres drive over other vehicles."

"Monster trucks, Brigadier. They're called monster trucks."

Title: Strategic Thinking
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Management."

"Doctor!" Peri yelled. "Hurry!"

Several paces behind, the Doctor gasped to a halt. "I'm not as young as you are," he said. "Not for quite a few centuries now."

"But if we don't get the last two fragments before midnight, the Squioxni will-"

"I'm well aware," he interrupted, "of what they will do to this planet, but running ourselves ragged isn't the best strategy here."

"So what is, then?"

"What we need is effective time management," he said, "something at which I happen to be expert."

Peri sighed. "Is that because you're a Time Lord?"

"I, er, well, yes, actually!"

Title: Corporate Espionage for Beginners
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Temp."

"But the psychic paper always works!" the Doctor whined. "Always! Well, nearly always. Almost nearly always."

"You want to infiltrate this giant corporation, yeah?" Donna asked. "What you need is someone with experience in the exciting world of temporary employment."

The Doctor grinned. "You're right! Any company that size will have hundreds of temps! But do we know anyone like that? Ow!" Donna smacked his shoulder again for good measure. "I know!" he said. "But can you identify a hexapericlonic generator nodule by sight?"

"Can anyone who hasn't already been thrown out in the street and banned from the complex?"

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Excellent! :D I love "Temp" - naturally, Donna would show up in that one. [face_laugh]

"Monster trucks, Brigadier. They're called monster trucks."

How typical. :p

=D=

18. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks, so much. Here's a new set, hope you enjoy.

Set M

Title: Chaos Theory
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Terrorists."

The Doctor and Steven struggled against their bonds. "Why are you doing this?" the Doctor demanded.

One of their captors looked up from the bomb he was setting. "Uh, because it's fun?"

"Fun?" Ian gasped. "What kind of terrorists are you?"

"We're not terrorists," another explained. "Terrorists are fanatics with grudges and causes. We don't care about anything but chaos. We're... chaoticians."

"You're doing this as a mathematical experiment?" the Doctor yelled.

The man stared at him blankly. "As a what?"

"You idiot!" the third one screamed. "How many times do I have to tell you? That word already exists!"

Title: Life in the Balance
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Deadline."

While the energy shield itself was invisible, the line where it met the ground was easy to see. On the far side was the lifeless, irradiated wasteland that covered most of the planet; not even the tiniest microbes survived. On the near side, lush, green meadows and dense forests.

The Doctor bent down and examined a blade of grass. "Indomitable."

"Where are the people?" Benny asked.

"Long gone," the Doctor said. "Even in their absence, this remarkable ecosystem has thrived, one shield failure from obliteration."

"And we need to save it?"

He frowned. "No, we're here to let it fail."

Title: Welcome Home, Rose Tyler
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Jack."

Rose raced up the stairs and through the open doorway of the flat. "Mum!" she yelled. "Mum, are you in here?"

"Oh, it's you, is it?" Jackie asked from the kitchen, sounding more annoyed than anything else.

"I thought you'd be happy to see me."

Jackie put down the washing up. "I am, dear, but you've only been gone a week."

"A week? Well, it's been longer for me," Rose said. "We spent a month just on Florana, where the Chelonians had this-"

"No, wait," Jackie interrupted. "I tell a lie. Today's Tuesday. It's been a week and a half."

Title: Standing Pat
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Defiant."

"I won't do it!" The Doctor hopped a little as he yelled. "I won't! You can exile me to Earth if you want, but I'm through being your errand boy!"

The other Time Lords waited patiently for the tirade to subside. "What," Goth asked, "is it you want this time, Doctor?"

"I thought I was perfectly clear."

"Yes, Goth agreed, "and the other times you were clear, what you really wanted were to visit your human friends and to let some travel with you, which we granted. What do you desire now? A puppy?"

"I don't desi- puppy, you say?"

Title: The Golden Cloud
    Notes: The challenge theme was "24."

"That," Frobisher said, "is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, Doc." He watched the stream of pure molten gold flow from the smelter toward the processing plant. "You know how many mazumas that'd be worth?"

"Don't stick a flipper in," the Doctor warned.

Frobisher laughed. "Don't worry. What'll they do with this, anyway? Make gold bullets?"

"They vaporise it."

"Why would anyone do a stupid thing like that?"

"No, they literally turn it into a gas," the Doctor explained. "Exposed Cybermen asphyxiate within moments."

"I doubt it'd be good for anyone to breathe. Hey, at least they'd die rich."

19. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Set N

Title: On the Ground Floor
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Enterprise."

The Doctor smiled at his companions. "Congratulations," he said. "You're now founding members of one of the largest criminal enterprises in this part of the galaxy."

"Because we helped some kid who was stealing fruit?" Tegan asked, pointedly adding, "Not that we knew what he was doing, mind. Does he grow up to be Al Capone or something?"

"Bigger than Capone, the Krays, and Inland Revenue combined."

Tears welled in Nyssa's eyes. "We're sorry."

"Don't be," the Doctor said, still smiling. "Where we're going, we can use a friend like that. Let's just hope he remembers you in fifty years."

Title: The Secret Stash
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Galaxy."

The Doctor stared at the food machine; why had he let Mel reprogram it? Still, there were alternatives. He glanced around furtively and ducked into the corridor.

He turned at the second right and raced up three flights of stairs. At the top, he made two lefts and crossed through a dusty lounge to its closet. Behind boxes on the top shelf, he found what he was looking for: a stash of chocolate bars he'd hidden from Susan.

He lay back on a chaise, unwrapped one of the bars, and took a long, slow bite.

"Doctor, what are you doing?"

Title: Justice Is Blind
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Federation."

"Doctor, you stand accused of crimes against the Galactic Federation," the judge intoned, his tentacles waving behind him. "How do you plead?"

The Doctor read the list of charges and took a deep breath. "Not guilty, guilty, not guilty, not guilty, guilty, not..."

"...Guilty, not guilty, and guilty." The Doctor returned to his seat.

The judge turned to the prosecutor. "You satisfied?"

"Frankly, it's better than I'd expected."

"Fair enough." The judge raised his gavel. "Doctor, you are ordered to pay a fine of fifty credits."

"Yes, Your Honour."

"And," the judge added, "court costs of... just over four million."

Title: Going Home
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Next."

The Doctor came around the console, stepping from panel to panel and adjusting controls. "So, what do you want to do next?" he asked.

"I want to go home."

He stopped and looked up at her. "Home? So soon?"

"Soon? It's almost midnight, Doctor, and I've had a long day," Liz said. "You may be able to repel two alien invasions in the morning, stop a mad scientist from destroying the planet in the afternoon, and still have the energy to spend all night tinkering with your time machine, but normal humans need to sleep. I'll see you at nine."

Title: Something from Nothing
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Generation."

"Professor!" Ace yelled.

The Doctor and Professor August both looked up. "Yes?" they asked simultaneously.

"Sorry," she said. "Doctor!"

"Yes?" they asked again.

"I mean my Doctor. Where are those creatures coming from?"

"In every practical sense," the Doctor explained, "they're not coming from anywhere."

"Impossible!" Professor August objected. "Spontaneous generation's a myth disproved back in the nineteenth century!"

The Doctor glared. "In a consistent reality, yes! But your experiment's creating one in which those things exist!"

"If they're from another reality, how are they surviving in ours?" Ace asked.

"They aren't, but they can do a lot before dying."

20. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I finished this yesterday, but I couldn't post then. And see the note on Set J to find out where the O went.

Set P

Title: The Scent of Genius
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Psychic."

The alien gently brushed its hand against Luke's face, leaving a thin trail. "Mmm, so many thoughts!" it cooed. "Wonderful thoughts! How can one mind hold them all? One young, tender mind?" It turned to the others. "Am I drooling? I don't mean to."

"Just a little," Rani lied.

"Is it wrong," Clyde asked, "that I'm feeling rejected? I mean, sure, you're a giant, slimy alien who eats minds, but-"

"I don't eat minds. I just like the smell."

"You're not going to hurt me?" Luke asked.

"I'd never dream of it!"

"Then, yeah," Clyde said, "I definitely feel rejected."

Title: The Sleuth Hurts
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Detective."

The Doctor held the slip of paper up to the light. "Yes," he whispered, "there's definitely something written here." He glanced back at Amy. "Isn't this just the coolest?"

She smiled. "It has its charms."

"I always love doing this. Do you know what a great detective told me once?"

"You're destroying the evidence," Amy said.

"Well, yes, actually," the Doctor admitted, "but after that, he-"

"No, I mean you're destroying the evidence!"

The Doctor yelped and dropped the slip's charred remains. "Ow, that really hurt."

"Did you at least read it first?" Amy asked.

"'Course I did," he lied.

Title: Ancestors Among Us
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Fraud."

The Generalissimo gestured to the ghostly figures behind him on the dais. "And with the spirits of our ancestors behind us," he shouted, "we shall unite all of South America under one flag: ours!"

The crowd cheered. "Isn't he just magnificent?" the woman beside Donna gushed. "He's a modern Charlemagne!"

Donna turned to the Doctor and whispered, "More like a modern charlatan." He didn't acknowledge her, just stared intently at the ancestral apparitions. "Come on," Donna moaned, hitting his shoulder. "Surely you don't think those are real?"

"No!" he scoffed. "No! No, of course not. No. No way. No. Well..."

Title: Almost Famous
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Awareness."

"Adam Mitchell! I thought I told you to stay out of trouble!"

Adam looked past the Doctor toward another familiar face. "Hi, Rose."

The Doctor yelled, "I warned you what could happen if the world found out-"

Adam nodded. "Most of the world is entirely unaware of me, Doctor."

"There's video of your interface thingy online," Rose said.

"I know. There are also hundreds of videos of forehead ports on celebrities, politicians, drunken uni students. I turned it into a meme; once the world believed it was fake, they forgot who came first. No fame's more fleeting than internet fame."

Title: The Last Shift
    Doctor: None (Torchwood)
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Pharmaceutical."

Jack sniffed the air, glanced around at the bodies, and grunted. "Shifters."

"You've seen this before?" Tosh asked.

He nodded. "It's a primitive time machine, though still centuries ahead of current Earth tech. For time travel, it's worthless; you can't shift more than a few minutes without liquefying your brains."

"Then why would people use it?"

"If shifting a few minutes purees your brain, a few seconds only gives it a light scramble," Jack explained. "As highs go, it's like huffing paint. Or so I've heard."

Tosh shook her head. "But time travel? Seems awfully expensive for a cheap high."

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Love all the new sets! :)

"Detective" was hilarious. :D

22. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks. And, with no further delay...

Set Q

Title: Jitter Bugs
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Wood."

"Doctor, where are we?" Dodo asked.

The Doctor was staring at the landscape and tapping his lips. "I'm sure I've been here before."

Dodo screamed, "Doctor!"

Four creatures, like ants but much larger, approached. "Of course! Vortis! Be careful, child; the Zarbi might be dangerous."

Suddenly, the Zarbi halted. As one, they stepped to their left, hopped from their left feet to their right, and spun in place, neatly avoiding collisions.

"How extraordinary!" the Doctor said. "A ritual of some sort?"

One of the Zarbi stepped forward and lowered a bowl to the ground. "No," the Doctor corrected himself. "Buskers!"

Title: Rock the TARDIS
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Metal."

"Doctor!" Ssard yelled. "Stacy's in trouble! I think something's attacking her!"

"In the TARDIS?" the Doctor muttered doubtfully. Even so, he followed the Ice Warrior. "What's attacking her?"

"I don't know," Ssard admitted. "I heard screaming and fighting in her quarters, and she didn't answer when I knocked."

A moment later, they reached the hallway outside Stacy's room, and the Doctor laughed. "Is that what you heard?"

"Yes! We have to help her!"

"Ssard, that's music. She has music playing." He paused, listening intently. "Definitely metal, I'd say it's probably from the late twentieth century."

Ssard shook his head. "Humans."

Title: Clerical Error
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Cloth."

Rose ducked behind a hedgerow as the Reverend Increase stopped outside the mausoleum. A few seconds later, she heard chains rattling as Increase tried to unlock the crypt door.

The door opened, and the Doctor emerged. "Hello there." Rose stopped hiding and joined him.

Increase mimed sprinkling the pair with holy water. "Begone, foul demons!" he yelled.

"'Begone foul demons'?" Rose mocked. "What century do you think this is?"

"Be fair," the Doctor said. "His research materials in there aren't exactly current. For someone masquerading as a member of another species while relying on obsolete intelligence, he's done quite well."

Title: Know When
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Glass."

The Doctor slowly sipped at his champagne, while Jamie quickly downed his glass and reached for another on a passing tray.

"No," the Doctor said as he pulled Jamie's hand back. "Can't have you getting inebriated now, can we?"

"Och, a couple wee drinks aren't going to hurt anything," Jamie complained.

"Still, best to be on the safe side. Have you seen Ben and Polly?"

Jamie pointed. "Polly's there, but I cannae-"

"Keep 'em coming!" Ben yelled, swaying and spilling from the two glasses in each hand.

"Now aren't you grateful I stopped you?" the Doctor asked.

Jamie answered, "No."

Title: Weighty Issues
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Stone."

Sarah Jane gasped at the cliff face. From down here, it looked several miles high. Behind, the Selachians were already emerging from the water. "How are we going to get up that?"

The Doctor pointed to some cables a few yards away, computerised ascender harnesses at the bottom. He helped Sarah with hers first. "What do you weigh?" he asked.

"Seven stone, give or take."

He grunted and programmed her ascender. She immediately shot upward, so quickly that she flew past the top and fell back, hard.

She groaned and looked at the ascender's controls. "Nine stone? I'll kill him!"

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I like "Metal".

"Definitely metal, I'd say it's probably from the late twentieth century."

Ssard shook his head. "Humans."

[face_laugh]

Great set! =D= :D

24. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Set R

Title: The Guide Law
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Ranger."

Roz stared at the ends of rope in front of her and grunted.

"Don't know your knots?" Benny asked. "Were you never a Girl Guide?"

"Was I a what?" Roz yelled.

Benny wondered, "Am I missing something?"

"Bernice," the Doctor explained, "within two hundred years of your time, the Girl Guides evolved into a pubescent paramilitary organization. They staged a bloody coup and established one of the most brutal and oppressive regimes in your planet's history. By the time they were violently overthrown, millions had died."

"Ah," Benny said. "Is it wrong I still want to shout, 'Girl power'?"

"Extremely."

Title: More Fun
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Cavalier."

"At least you're close to your own time," Nyssa said. She and Tegan stuck out their thumbs as a Vauxhall shot past.

"Three years isn't exactly close," Tegan groused. "It's weird to think that there's a younger me out there." Two more cars passed without stopping. "Whatever they're doing, the Doctor and Adric have to be having more fun than us."

"Doctor, duck!" Adric yelled as he swung the lead pipe around again. It sailed over the Doctor's head and clipped the mutant on the shoulder. It rounded on him and lashed out, ripping the pipe from his grasp. "Eep."

Title: On the Buses
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Thief."

The moon shone down as the 200 settled on the verge of the deserted road. Lady Christina peered out the windows; the only souls around to witness her landing were sheep in a nearby field. "Perfect," she said. Now she could examine her latest acquisition.

A loud groaning filled the night, and the bus shook as air whipped around it. Another bus, a 22, appeared on the verge opposite. Lady Christina swore and walked out onto the road just as a heavyset woman emerged from the other vehicle.

"Oi!" they yelled in unison. "Who are you? What is that thing?"

Title:
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Acrobat."

The Doctor leaped over the cafe rail and grabbed the first laptop he saw. "Sorry, important business." He dodged around other diners and plopped down at an empty table. He attached a thumb drive to the computer, opened a file and read, clicking constantly.

Thirty seconds later, he stood, casually walked back, and handed the laptop to its owner. "Adobe says you need to update." He left the cafe and found Amy waiting.

"You're right," he said. "Those instructions made no sense whatsoever. You'll have to figure out your humidifier on your own."

"Doctor, that manual was for a toaster."

Title: All Your Vase
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Barbarian."

The Doctor held up another vase. "What do you think? Late Song Dynasty?" He juggled it as he spoke. "I bet it's valuable. Whoops." He stepped back and let it fall. It hit the floor and, like the others, shattered. "I am such a butterfingers."

"You utter barbarian!"

"Yeah," the Doctor agreed, grinning. "I know."

"Why won't you believe I don't know this Rose person?"

"Your people took her, and I want her back now!" He picked up another vase.

"My people? You idiot! You want the estate next door."

"Really? Cheers, mate." He set the vase down and scarpered.

25. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Set S

Title: The Water Babies
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Boys."

Foetuses floated in the bubbling green fluid within the Perspex cylinders. "Doctor," Amy said, "tell me these aren't clones of Hitler."

"Are we going to find a dead Steve Guttenberg around here somewhere?" Rory asked.

"I hope not, and no," the Doctor said. "Wait, reverse that. I've met Hitler clones before; these aren't him."

Rory tapped on one of the cylinders. "How can you be sure?"

"Well, that one's a girl. And notice the gills and webbed fingers."

Amy stared intently at a foetus. "Oh yeah. So not Hitler, but Aquaman."

"Namor," Rory corrected. "Aquaman didn't have... shutting up now."

Title: Go Tell It on the Mountain
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Mountain."

Jamie saw the image on the scanner and groaned. "Another snowy mountain?"

"Does the TARDIS ever land anywhere warm?" Victoria asked.

"It used to."

"Now, now, we might just be on the same mountain," the Doctor said. "Don't you wonder if that might be it?"

Jamie shook his head. "No."

"No," Victoria agreed.

"Really? You don't want to ask?"

"It's never been the same mountain," Jamie said.

Victoria added, "And there are three moons in the sky."

The Doctor pouted. "Please?"

"Fine. Is it the same mountain?" Jamie asked.

"I think not," the Doctor said, smiling. "There are three moons."

Title: Deputy Mine
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Town."

"Sheriff!" Mrs Fischer screamed. "Your deputy's a menace!"

"Good morning to you too. And Deputy Bonto wasn't the one drag racing down Main Street."

"He shot my son's car!"

"I saw," Sheriff Pierce said. "Cleanest hit I ever witnessed. Disabled the car without hurting anyone, including your boy, or causing any property damage. He's been really good about that lately."

Mrs Fischer literally quivered with anger. "So you're not going to punish that... that..."

"Judoon, ma'am, and no, I'm not."

"Who's paying for Sammy's car?" she demanded.

"I'd suggest you make your son go out and get himself a job."

Title: Too Much Skin
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Controversy."

Peri peered up and down the beach. "Doctor, I thought you said we'd be in Blackpool, 1985."

"Yes, and we're in Blackpool."

"In 1885!" Peri yelled. She flushed and immediately whispered the year again.

The Doctor shrugged. "I was close."

"I'm in a bikini! Everyone's staring at me!"

"You are the only one showing any ankle," he admitted.

"You should be ashamed!" a woman yelled. "There are children on this beach!"

Peri stuck out her tongue. "And how is it," she asked the Doctor, "that your suit's appropriate? You knew, didn't you? And you let me come out like this?"

Title: Must Not Be Named
    Notes: The challenge theme was "Profanity."

Jo tried to shimmy up the wall to relieve the strain of the shackles on her wrists, but her feet kept slipping back down. What would her escapology teacher think?

The Doctor came into her cell. "How are you holding up, Jo?"

She almost called his name, but resisted; that was what got her into this mess. "I'm hanging in there. Are you here to get me out?"

"I am trying, but it seems saying my name is the most serious crime one can commit on this planet, worse than murder or treason. Surprisingly, it's legal to actually be me."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.