main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Anyone Read Nelson DeMille's Novels?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Other than the Star Wars novels, Nelson DeMille's are my favorite. Of all his books, the one I like best is "The Charm School." I have never yet met another person who has read this book though.

2. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    I haven't read him; I just hate to see a thread with no replies. Tell me more about The Charm School.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    "The Charm School" isn't about what it appears to be about. The Charm School takes place in Russia prior to the Berlin Wall coming down. The Charm School is a secret school in Russia that teaches Russian Spys to look, act, think like Americans so they can come to American and be moles (spies) for their country. The Charm school looks like small town America. There is a gas-station, grocery stores, diners, houses etc. You would think you were in an American town if you walked down the streets etc.

Nelson DeMille's novels are always either about spies/government agents or crime dramas. I suppose they are more "mens" novels them womens, but I've always liked those kinds of stories. One of Nelson DeMilles novels was made into a movie starring John Travolta, it was called "The Generals' Daughter." I really wish they would make this book into a movie. I've already casted the main male leads in my head - Harrison Ford and Sam Neill. I haven't decided on what actress should play the female lead though. There is also a love triangle (sort of) between the two men and the women. Another thing I like about Nelson DeMille is that his female characters are believable. He doesn't write the stereotypical female characters that many male writers do.

4. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    I did a quick search, and I've got fairly good news for you! USA Network has the rights to The Charm School and is considering making a mini-series of it. I hope you get your wish after all!

Meanwhile, If I come across it cheap, I'll pick up the book. It sounds interesting.

Thanks for the tip!

5. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ YAY! That is great news! Thanks! I hope they take my suggestions for casting! But I doubt the USA network can pay for Harrison Ford or Sam Neill... *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.