main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Drabbo's Challenge, Before the Saga Responses -- New challenge posted July 26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Drabbo_Fett, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Welcome to the Before the Saga response thread for Drabbo's Challenge. The challenges themselves are posted to this thread on the Resource board, but this is the place to post your Before fics. There are also threads for Saga responses and Beyond responses.

The latest challenge is...

Challenge #6: Write a story with a pairing not previously seen.

Rule 1: Write a story or vignette about a romantic pairing you have not seen depicted in canon or fanfic.

Rule 2: The pairing must not violate any board rules. Sorry, Y/P is still out. :(

Rule 3: Neither partner may be an OC.

Rule 4: Ideally, neither one should be a character you write frequently.

The older challenges, which are still open, are...

[hl=navy][color=white][b]Challenge #1: Write a SW drabble.[/b][/color][/hl]

[color=navy]Rule 1:[/color] A drabble is a work of [i]exactly[/i] 100 words. 99 is too few, 101 too many. The word count does not include the title, which may be up to 15 words.

[color=navy]Rule 2:[/color] Umm, that was it, really. It can be any era, any characters, canon or OC.

[hl=navy][color=white][b]Challenge #2: Write a style parody.[/b][/color][/hl]

[color=navy]Rule 1:[/color] Write a SW story or vignette in the style of an author or filmmaker or some other media creator. Think "What if Shakespeare (or Dr. Seuss or whoever) wrote SW?"

[color=navy]Rule 2:[/color] Keep in mind, though, that the challenge is for a style parody, not a content one. The ideal response should [i]NOT[/i] be a crossover. For example, a SW story in the style of Ian Fleming should not have James Bond -- or a too-obvious parody of Bond -- in it.

[color=navy]Rule 3:[/color] Remember the board rules. Yes, it might be tempting to imagine the Jedi Purges as done by Quentin Tarantino, but this isn't the place for that.

[hl=navy][color=white][b]Challenge #3: Write a story with no human characters.[/b][/color][/hl]

[color=navy]Rule 1:[/color] Write a story in which no human characters appear. At all.

[color=navy]Rule 2:[/color] There are no restrictions on how many or which alien species you may include. Your story can feature a diverse collection, or it can delve deep into a single alien culture.

[color=navy]Rule 3:[/color] And, of course, any era is fine.

[color=navy]Rule 4:[/color] Oh, just in case, I'll say now that making your story AU just so you can turn the films' human characters into Bothans or something would be cheating. [-X

[hl=navy][color=white][b]Challenge #4: Write a crossover with characters from another property in the Galaxy Far Far Away (GFFA).[/b][/color][/hl]

[color=navy]Rule 1:[/color] The main characters should be the characters from the other film or TV series or whatever. They should remain as they were and should not be parodies, hybrids with existing SW characters, or alien versions. For example, Ross and Monica and their four human friends should still be Ross and Monica and their four human friends.

[color=navy]Rule 2:[/color] The setting should be completely replaced with the GFFA. For example, instead of New York, you could have Ross and Monica and their four human friends all live in a rent-controlled building on Coruscant. Actually, Coruscant works well as a replacement for just about any major Earth city. Perhaps Ponch and John ride for the Coruscant Skyway Patrol. Or maybe Sherlock Holmes, Coruscant's greatest consulting detective, lives in Suite 221 of Building B of the Baker Centre on Coruscant.

[color=navy]Rule 3:[/color] There should not be any indication these characters aren't from the GFFA. Ross and Monica and their four human friends were born in the GFFA, grew up in the GFFA, and came together

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    In my planet's language, there are two words for caring. Eidug and vehmeg.

Eidug means to take charge of.

Vehmeg means to guard the spirit.

For months now, I have been eiduging the older initiates, guiding them in the last steps to apprenticeship or departure from the Order.

Vehmeg only applies to the flaxen-haired girl named Riane.

She burns for me like a guiding light and offers her heart without asking anything in return. I will never declare one of my students perfect, but I will declare her linked.

One day, I want that link to be a Master's bond.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    OOhhh, Ish, I like that!

This does get easier with practice. :D

A Fresh Outlook

?Is this really necessary again Master? We?re hardly ever here.? Sixteen year old Obi-Wan Kenobi moaned, just short of whining as Qui-Gon Jinn offered him bucket, rags and cleaning solvent.

?It?s an ancient rite of spring. A cleaning out of one?s home can be symbolic of the cleaning of one?s mind, think of it as physical meditation.? Qui-Gon responded.

?Only you could find comparing it like that enjoyable.?

?It?s not as if I?m not doing my share of the cleaning,? Qui-Gon?s voice edged rebuke.

Snatching the items, Obi-Wan turned and muttered, ?Yeah, but why do I always get the fresher??

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wonderful. You always make me laugh.

5. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Great work! Fun drabbles! :)

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Equality
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon

Equality

Master is angry.

Master is perturbed.

Master is not happy and so I hide.

My face will not be seen until his anger cools.

Very sensitive he has proven to be, and unexpected this discovery is. Once again, he surprises me.

He delights in shocking me, showing me that I do not know everything I think I do. But sometimes, the Padawan turns the tables, and it is the Master who is surprised.

This is good for him; it helps him avoid arrogance, for this is not the Jedi way.

A little itching powder in his boots, the great equalizer!

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL! Sassy Obi-Wan!

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Great job everyone!

9. Jadeling

Jadeling Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That was great!

10. Jadeling

Jan 25, 2005
    Title: Waiting
    Author: Jadeling
    Characters: (don't want to spoil it.)
    Timeline: After the Sith Wars.
    Notes: Jumping out of Beyond to post. Hope you like.

Waiting

She stands at crossroads waiting.

She watches as others come. Sometimes they go across her; sometimes they stop by and talk to her, but she never leaves her place.

Because she waits for him.

She doesn't know how long she waits, but she?s patient and knows that eventually he'll find his way back.

He will find his way to her.

She watches him wander aimlessly; she yearns to say, to do anything. However, her voice can't reach him. Her actions won't lead him.

So she waits.

"Hello Naomi."

Finally, she smiles. "Welcome back Ulic, welcome home."

She no longer waits.

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ooh, we like Jadeling, we like!

12. Jadeling

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks! I don't normally venture here, but for some reason I always liked Namoi and Ulic. So much potential, but very little fruition. *sigh*

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Title: Whispered Condemnation
    Character: Qui-Gon Jinn
    Timeline: Pre-TPM

Pretend it matters not, these words spoken behind my back. Rogue, maverick are the least of them. Treasonist, insurgent, blasphemer some of the worst. Each whispered appellation a lightsaber stroke, slowly carving away at him. Bit by bit his integrity and training assaulted and dislodged by hearsay and gossip.

Haven?t I proved I?m none of those? Human, even fool sometimes I?ll admit, but always driven by what the Force demands of me. I?ve no more choice in the matter than to stop breathing. It?s the voice of the Force we must listen for, without hearing it we will be lost.

14. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    You get into the mind of Qui-GOn so well Leona. Hmmm, can't imagine why. ;)

I hate to think of his living that way with continous whispers behind his back, but then again he's just doing what the Force tells him.

Excellent Leona!

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Excellent perspective.

16. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Here goes nothing...

It Does Not Exist

"Come away from the computer, Padawan."

Jocasta shook her head. "I haven't found it yet."

"Found what?"

"Schracklid. He asked me to find it. I must." She tried another search.

"Oh, Padawan. Here." Master Salm touched the keypad, exiting the Galactic Directory, bringing up instead a dictionary.

['?rak-lid], obs. From Serennian Sreklitt, mythical creature; something nonexistent.

Jocasta turned to Padawan Dooku. He'd been watching the whole time; his eyes were laughing and his face flushed to the roots of his ginger hair. She flushed in response, rose abruptly, and ran.

Never again, she thought as she left the Library behind.

17. Jadeling

Jan 25, 2005
    LOL [face_laugh] Poor Jocasta being duped by Dooku. That was fun to read.

18. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Now I've hit all three eras within the challenge.

Title: The Boss's Daughter
    Timeframe: Not long pre-TPM
    Focus: Gungans

It took Captain Binks longer to find the bongo than he'd expected; it was near a cliff far from where kids usually went. He tapped his light against the window.

"Oh, look," Nyss said in that affected accent that made her sound almost human, "it's Captain Puppet."

"Yousa father is..."

"My father," she interrupted, "is wasting army resources sending you after me."

"Yousa should be grateful he cares," Binks said.

"About his reputation, you mean."

Binks aimed his light at the bongo's interior, wondering what male would be so idiotic as to mess with Nass's daughter. "Jar Jar?"

"Hi, dad."

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    What it takes to be a Knight
    (Response to JC Title Challenge as well)

It is only after I have retreated to the shuttle that I wonder if this is what it takes to be a Knight.

I sit with the blood of my Master on my hands, since I am now orphaned by circumstance and my own weakness, and cannot fathom the reason why the Council has sent ahead its condolences and congratulations on a successful mission.

What is there to congratulate?

My Master died when she turned on me. Does that make me a criminal or a victim?

Or a perfect servant?

Is what it takes to be a knight worth it?

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    [KeanuReeves] Whoa! [/KeanuReeves]

These last three are awesome, in the writing and variety! Wonderful!

21. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Okay, a new challenge is up. Actually, there've been a few since this thread's been active, so feel free to try any or all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.