main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Inquisition's Here and It's Here To Stay: The Dragon Age Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by DocRevan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That is like the 3rd time i heard that [face_laugh]

2. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm greatly looking forward to DA3! I just hope that Bioware goes back to the more open setting and doesn't pigeon-hole you into one city the entire game. Also, I'm REALLY hoping for a return of the Warden from Origins. And Alistair. This game needs Alistair.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    i know, Alistair is a beast!

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
  5. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm playing DA: O after I don't know how long, and it feels really weirddddd. But I think I've vaguely got my head around where I left off with my second playthrough (playing as a male human)...quite a departure after playing through all three ME games in swift succession.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    What system do you play on? I've beaten Origins and II on the 360, but recently built a PC for gaming and am wondering if they're worth double dipping on. I've heard the PC versions are better.

7. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I play on 360 as well. I think that Origins would be better on PC, but I think that II would probably be relatively the same level of experience.

8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm primarily a PC gamer, so that's where all of my Dragon Age gaming has been. I haven't played DAII, but I certainly hope that DAIII favors Origins more from what I've heard.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Oh my gooooodness. I'm trying to get all the origin stories achievements, but I had no idea the Dwarf Noble origin story was sooo buggy. I had Gorim disappear on me and still managed to get the shield from the thaig, but then Trian's men weren't there to ambush me and so it's impossible to proceed! I'll have to start all over. Grrrr.... :mad:

10. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Dragon age origins is one of my all time favorite games

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Any more news for DA III?

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  13. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    I didn't like DA 2 very much, too streamlined, the first was incredible though

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The second one had very nice characters but the overall plot was just bad. Yes Templars are needed to protect people from bad mages, yes Mages deserve freedom. But you are either 'KILL ALL THE MAGES!' or 'FREE ALL THE MAGES!' there is no sensible solution that it allows you.

And the whole 'You are Champion, you have to choose a side' is complete bull. You are the Champion, tell both sides to end this or you'll put them all to the sword.

15. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    the story seemed to lack any over arching point, just running around doing stuff, i didn't like it

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    At first it was, get to the Deep Roads, then settle the Qunari down, then settle the Mage/Templar issue. The thing is the first one is the only plot where Hawke is proactive, the other two he is simply reacting to everything around him. He just does whatever people tell him to do.

17. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    Right, the first game had a much better plot i think

18. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Dragon Age Origins took a traditional, safe storyline and executed it extremely well while Dragon Age 2 took a interesting risk, but fell a bit in its execution. The conflict between the mages and Templars could've been far more engaging, but instead we got "EVERYONE'S A BLOODMAGE" and "ALL TEMPLARS ARE CORRUPTED". Here's hoping the third game adds a bit more nuance and realism into the two factions.

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  19. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    indeed, well said

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Was thinking of picking up Dragon Age 2 for my xbox at some point soon. Does anyone know if there's a collection of the game and DLC like there was for Dragon Age: Origins? I did have a look but didn't find anything.

21. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't think so, but you should be able to find the game for <$10. I actually really like DA2, but ymmv.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I thought the demo was great on both PC and xbox. I wish I'd bought the Signature Edition on the xbox as well as on the PC, but I didn't. I was hoping there was a collection so I didn't have to worry about DLC. If there isn't one then I can get it later, or something.

I don't know if this is of any use, but there were some promo items for DA: O and DA2. You need to sign in to get them, but you just select the platform and click the button. There's 24 items for DA2 and 16 items for DA: O (13 for PS3 and xbox players).
    http://social.bioware.com/da2/dlc_bundle/

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins was an amazing game while Dragon Age 2 sucked

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Origins was definitely the stronger game but I wouldn't claim that DA2 was a horrible game. The companions were actually less cut-and-dry moralitywise, which led to some very interesting confrontations later in the game. The companions overall were well-written, that's always been BioWare's forte.

The combat was fun in a more visceral way, so it's really preference whether you like the tactical combat of the original game better.

I love that the story takes place over a period of time (10 years). Sarcastic Hawke is the funniest thing ever, and I advise anyone who has the game to do a playthrough just picking every sarcastic dialogue option.

Yeah, they never released a GOTY edition like they did for Origins. I do advise getting the DLC though. Legacy and Mark of the Assassin both add fairly lengthy adventures (5-6 hours) that take place outside of Kirkwall. That was one of the biggest complaints I heard; that too much of the game takes place in Kirkwall.

For non-spoilery reference, Legacy is best played right at the start of Act 2, and Mark of the Assassin is best played right at the start of Act 3. You can play them anywhere, but they were clearly designed for these placements.

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I would. The recycled dungeons alone would be enough to call it such but the ending was absolute rubbish as well. I can't understand how so many people gave Bioware grief for Mass Effect 3's ending but let this pile of filth stand. Talk about choices not mattering...