main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Dunk It Or Debunk It! Now disc: The Oak Island Money Pit

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Since then, HAARP has been accused of being a tsunami device, a weather control device, even a time machine. The claim we will investigate is: HAARP can create earthquakes.

In order for a 'device' such has HAARP to create earthquakes, there would need to be some sort of connection between what HAARP does and what causes earthquakes. Some scientific principle involved. It wouldn't just happen by magic.

So the video claims that you send a powerful microwave into the atmosphere, causes a vibration in the ionesphere, which rebounds and somehow causes an earthquake. He uses the analogy of resonance frequency causing a glass to shatter.

A couple of points.

1) He claims HAARP sends billions of watts of power. The specifications of HAARP say it can only send up to 3.6 million watts.
    2) He claims HAARP sends microwaves into the atmosphere. Microwaves are from 300 MHz to the 300 GHz. HAARP is only designed to transmit up to 10 MHz with it's array. Essentially radio waves.

I have almost no training in seismology, so I'm not going to get the microwaves causing earthquakes part via the principle of resonance yet without more study. But based off the specifications of HAARP, his claim that HAARP is sending out microwaves into the atmosphere is false.

Unless someone wants to claim that HAARP is lying...

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's the thing about conspiracy theorists, no? Any evidence against what they're saying will be dismissed as fabricated, and anyone who disagrees is a shill.

4. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, this is sure getting a lot of traction.
    Okay, I'll take suggestions for our next topic now!
    But we've done Sasquatch already.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Haarps sure can! [face_tee_hee]

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I guess "ancient astronauts" is too cliché, right?

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You need to tag harpua for it to work.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sounds like nonsense to me. Lord Vivec spelled out why, pretty much.

Plus, Alaska State Legislature and the European Parliament aren't even good government, let alone valid scientific resources :p
    [​IMG]

Alaska State Legislature ^

9. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Can i suggest the next topic now?

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's the problem with conspira(rhymes with card)s. A lot of their claims are nonsensical, their evidence shoddy or nonexistent, and reason just flat-out incorrect. It's even more apparent when they try to pull one of these in a science-related topic, whether it's HAARP, plasma cosmology, the LHC black hole idiocy, "earthquake weapons," "death rays," etc. Easily destroyed.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm not familiar with plasma cosmology.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Plasma Cosmology was the hypothesis that the structure of the universe could be modeled with plasma. I didn't study it in detail, but it's one of those "hey this might be a good idea" up until newer, better ideas came out, mainly the Big Bang and General Relativity. However, some modern day people (mostly nonscientists) insist it's the correct science and the mainstream science is oppressing them and all that jazz. They're amusing because they insist on calling the big bang "creationism" among other nonsense.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    vivec are u "butthurt" about this? u seem a little "butthurt", as it were. "butthurt" FOR SCIENCE!

Ender_Sai likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd hardly call being amused at idiots "butthurt." (Why are we using what Jonah Goldberg calls scare quotes?)

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How's that globey-warmey thing workin' out for ya?

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    my globes are being warmed as we speak

vivec: because its a word you would use that i find problematic

"jonah goldberg"

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Vivec, you'll have to share the win with our latecomer Boba! Following up 'Unless someone wants to claim that HAARP is lying' with a picture of Sarah Palin is pure genius and deserves due credit.

[​IMG]

The next topic was mailed in and will be up shortly!

DarthBoba and Lord Vivec like this.
  18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thylacine - extinct or just really really shy?

[​IMG]

This beastie here, also called Tasmanian Tiger or Tasmanian Wolf, used to roam Australia, Tasmania, and New Guinea. It was the biggest known carnivorous marsupial. Already extinct in Australia by the time European settlers came, but in Tasmania it lived on until the 1930s. And some say it's still there...

Looks cute in the top pic, doesn't it? Check this out:

[​IMG]

At first I assumed that pic was fabricated, coming from a website that goes by the name tasmanian-tiger.com, but Corbis has a pic of the last captured Thylacine:

[​IMG]
    That's just... unnatural. The bodies of a wolf and a tiger, with a bear's head and a T-Rex's mouth. No wonder they didn't know what name to give it.

The above-mentioned website boasts a forum about Thylacine sightings, as recent as last year. So the big question for this round is... are they too far out, down under?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I remember reading about those as a kid. Why did they die out?

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    This is from the Australian Museum:

Although the precise reasons for extinction of the Thylacine from mainland Australia are not known it appears to have declined as a result of competition with the Dingo and perhaps hunting pressure from humans. The Thylacine became extinct on the Australian mainland not less than 2000 years ago. Its decline and extinction in Tasmania was probably hastened by the introduction of dogs, but appears mainly due to direct human persecution as an alleged pest.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I understand they are extinct, Watto. However, Tasmania is our Alabama, so any form of scientifically verifiable find is mired by incest jokes.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Does that thing unhinge its jaw, or something? That's a really wide bite.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given the Thylacine existed on a very samll island, if it were still around it's likely someone would have seen and caught it by now. It's not exactly a small animal like the Tasmanian Devil, although talk of cloning them has been rife for years since there is a preserved one in a jar somewhere.

Seems to me if an island species is said to be extinct, it probably is unless the island is the size of Australia and covered in dense jungle.

This is like the theory that the Moa of New Zealand is still alive, those things were 12ft tall & 500lbs surely somebody would have noticed them by now and taken pictures or captured one.

Far more likely IMO that the Great Auk is still alive than the Thylacine or any flightless island land bird, at least it had the sea to roam in and lots of small land areas undisturbed by man.

Could open up to 120degrees so I hear, some even say 180.

There have been recent reports it may actually have had a bite too weak to kill livestock, therefore its persecution by land owners may well have been unjustified.

24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    They're trying to revive the Kakapo population on an uninhabited island.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Reviving numbers of an endangered species is very different to bringing back an extinct one. For a start you have actual living specimens to work with.

The Japanese plan to clone a Woolly Mammoth, a massive waste of time an money for no purpose other than to prove they can. If they want to be helpful, why not work on cloning something we humans were responsible for the demise of, such as the Thylacine or Auk? They also died out much more recently making DNA samples more viable.

Cross-breeding types of horses and Zebra have been ongoing for years in an attempt to create something like the Quagga again, but it would only an imitation and probably not genetically unique enough to be a seperate sub-species.