main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    La Vie en Rose is brilliant - nicely picked. I'm not sure I want to revisit the movie for a long time, considering the heavy source material of Piaf's theatrically tragic life, but now you've mentioned the music, I might have to track down a good compilation CD. Is it Piaf's original recordings on the soundtrack?

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I think it might be - I'm not sure what Marion Cotillard's singing voice is like, but the version of Hymne L'amour sounds very like the copy I have on a compilation at home.

Given the distinctive nature of Ms Piaf's voice, I imagine they used her recordings...

3. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Latest acquisitions have been the Hellboy 3-disc special edition that was released a few years ago in the collectors box with the "Rasputin's Diary" excerpt and Season 1 of World Poker Tour.

4. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    DVDs got today:

-- Blade Runner (Finally);
    -- The Cell ($7!);
    -- Perfect Blue (...).

6. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Which version, Morgs? :p

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I dunno, something about five different cuts of the movie, I guess it sounds alright. [face_thinking]

8. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Oh you got the case :eek:, why didn't you say so!

9. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Case? No, it's just a shiny box.

10. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    :eek: I thought the case was the one with the 5 cuts??? *confused*
    Oh well, you have all the Bladerunner you will ever want anyhow.

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    It is - I'm going with the theory that the shiny case thing was a limited edition sort of thingumy-whatsit. Besides, the regular shiny box things sit on my shelf all the nicer. And yes, all the blade runner I could ever want and/or need.

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Sam and Max: Freelance Police DVD is up for sale now yay!

13. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    So has anyone picked up the Serenity: Ultimate Edition DVD yet and compared it to the original release?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I saw that today, and as far as I can remember it's exactly the same as the 2 disc edition I have, but in a funky box. Will have to have a second look though - if there's differences, they would be slight...

On the DVD note though, I picked up Bender's Big Score and Planet Terror today.

15. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    My most recent acquisitions:

Doctor Who ? Beneath the Surface; comprising of the two Third Doctor stories Doctor Who & The Silurians and The Sea Devils and the Fifth Doctor story Warriors of the Deep. Despite the over abundance of lighting, foam rubber bulkhead doors and craptastic monsters ("Oh dear...the Myrkr" indeed), Warriors is one of my favourite stories for the last line, and the fact that the Doctor probably gets the most physically messed up he ever got until 42 23 years later.

His Girl Friday; gotta love that rapid fire dialogue.

The Phantom of the Opera (2005)l Emmy Rossum swans about in underwear and a collapsible bodice, Jennifer Ellison is just there, and Miranda Richardson has a french accent.

Oh, and apparently it's a musical :p

Starship Troopers; big damn bugs.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Today I wandered into JB after Guinness Wednesday and noted some Sherlock Holmes DVDs.

"Oh, if only they were the Basil Rathbone Holmes versions," I said to the Shogun.
    "Actually this does have Basil Rathbone in it."
    "..."

$30 and several minutes later, I was suddenly out the door, DVD in hand.

"BASILRATHBONEASSHERLOCKHOLMESYAY!" seems to about cover it.
    *Not a fangirl, not a fangirl, not a fangirl...*

17. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    That's classy fangirlism, that is. Unless a love of a dashing 1930s performer compells you to abuse the word "kawaii" and use strange emoticons, you can well and truly hold your head high.

Angel - Complete Box - My long-overdue Buffy experience has been a fun ride so far (especially from season three, when it stops being a guilty pleasure and starts being something genuinely great). I really don't know what to expect from this companion series, and that's perfect, because I can't wait to find out.

Bender's Big Score - But of course.

18. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Deadwood seasons one, two and three will be going for $22 each from the start of May. I haven't seen the show, but I just preordered based on the strong word of... well, everyone who's watched it, really.

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I stumbled across the main differences between the original R4 DVD release of Serenity and the new "Ultimate Edition"

We get these two new featurettes:

The River Tam Sessions (those creepy viral videos that show River Tam going slowly insane, including the damn creepy "I can see you!" moment) and
    Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity

What we don't get is the new commentary track that was released on the R1 version with Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, and Ron Glass.

Given that, I'll probably import the R1 version at a later date. Also jives with the fact that Universal are probably only looking at US domestic DVD sales while considering a sequel. I can still dream.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks for that. I had assumed there was more, but as with the 3-Disc Hot Fuzz DVD recently released in the states, it really is Them catching up with Us. We were surprisingly spoilt first time around.

That commentary sounds fun, though.

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    A bunch of new acquisitions, courtesy of the latest round of Amazon encheapening:

Veronica Mars ? Season's 1-3 - Mmmmmkristenbell
    Justice League ? The New Frontier - The best DC animated project in some considerable time
    Family Guy ? Blue Harvest Special Edition - Ridiculously cheap compared to local prices, I'm baffled by the amount of extras they crammed into this thing.
    Stargate ? The Ark of Truth - sliding this one into the bottom of the pile...
    Sam & Max Freelance Police ? The Complete Series - If madness has a audio/visual experience without using illicit narcotics, this is probably it.
    The Amazing Screw-on Head - Regretably only one episode was made, but it's so bizarre and charming.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    The Jungle Book and speakers to surround ourselves with the sound :)

23. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Agreed on Blue Harvest. It's a knowingly over-the-top box set. If you must give a 40 minute episode its own DVD release, you might as well do it in style. The 3-D glasses, trading cards aren't worth $50+ here, but well worth the $20 or so for an Enlightented Amazon Shopper.

The cartoon itself is good fun too, by the way. For every moment of Family Guy indulgence (the couch gag), there's something genuinely hilarious to balance it out (the TIE fighter scene in its entirety, the unexpected reference to another much-loved QLDFF mainstay). Best watched with company, of course. There are far worse ways to unwind with friends or family.

A shame the t-shirt is XL only, but they'll make some snazzy pyjamas.

24. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Filing this one under "Releases I shouldn't be excited about, but am": Birds of Prey is coming to DVD.

Birds of Prey was a crappy series with an awesome premise and extremely attractive women in the lead roles. A DVD release means I can at least edit a "good parts version" for public consumption :p

What sweetens the deal is that as an extra they're including the three seasons of the web cartoon Gotham Girls as extras on the DVD. Animated, written and voiced by the original people from Batman: The Animated Series, it was a fairly neat series, so for that alone it's worth the purchase price.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

25. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    QI - Season One - A hilarious quiz show on "Quite Interesting" facts, in which Stephen Fry gets to show off his Mensa-level intellect and equally impressive wit. The questions are utterly absurd: "What flavour was the world's oldest soup?" "How many moons does the Earth have?" (Answers: "hippopotamus" and "two... sort of".) Humorous answers are encouraged over correct ones, which really pays off when guests include the likes of Hugh Laurie and Bill Bailey. There's little to no padding, just fact after fact, joke after joke.
    Tim nearly choked with laughter last night, so approach with caution.

Look Around You - Season One - An absolutely spot-on parody of the 1970s "Open University" educational science videos. Watch and learn.

Look Around You - Season Two - An entirely different beast. This time around, they lampoon the 1970s pop-science variety show. After seeing the first episode, I'm actually a little disappointed. Where the first series rarely lost focus, the follow-up is filled with absurdist humour that dilutes the whole concept. The slow pacing (unnecessarily true to the source material) means one-note jokes that could have survived in a snappier format only get tireseome.
    It is not, however, without its great moments.

The Day Today - This early 90s British series is one of the better satirical news shows out there. While it has all the usual cliches of that subgenre (say, using celebrity soundbites and footage out of context), it pulls them off well.
    Host Chris Morris is quite happy to offend, unsettle and, on occasion, traumatise viewers for a laugh, but he gets away with it on account of being a comic genius. This is actually the milder end of his work, but there's still a fair share of black comedy to balance the lighthearted fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.