main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Edmontooine Book Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Why are you suprise? We told you it was good. :)
    You have to check out the paintings he's talking about, it's really eerie looking at a painting you think you know and finding more there.
    On the annoying side, I went shopping today, spent all my money, then found it on sale for 40% off at Safeway of all places. I guess that means it's going into paperback soon at least. This is the problem with library cards, I always want to re-read them.

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    it totally looks like a woman in the last supper.

3. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I know, and if you look at it before it was cleaned it doesn't show as much. All that "restoring" the church did where they painted fig leaves on everything and called it better. Did you notice the triangle? You have to feel sorry for which ever deciple got left out though. ;)

4. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I have to look for it again, Its hard to get a good look at the painting from pictures on the internet. Have you been to Dan Browns website and done the little puzzle quiz? I can't get through it.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Now I know I have to get my hands on these books. :)

(Once I've devoured the Dark Tower, of course.)

*Derisa*

6. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Picked up The Cestus Deception today. I'll have my review up in a few days ;) (no spoilers, I know :p )

7. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I had no idea he had a web page, I'll check it out. :)
    Edit: Got the first one, I guess I'll try the new one. :)
    Edit 2: Got this one too, it took longer cause I had to wait for auto reply on a couple gates.

I want more :_|

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'll probably check that out from work tomorrow when I'm not on such a slooooooowwww connection. :(

Battle Surgeons is coming out next month!!! W00t!!! :cool:

I'm looking forward to this one especially since it's written by Steve "Shadows of the Empire" Perry and Micheal "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" Reaves. I loved both books even though they aren't on the same calibre as Shatterpoint or TTT they're still great 'popcorn books'.

9. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Connection speed isn't the problem, it's mostly riddles and stuff. It's the fact that it takes some time and it's not exactlly work related. :D

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    No problem for me. I'm usually stuck trying to find stuff to DO at work. ;)

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    That book "Year Zero" I was reading (it was in my sig - by Jeff Long) was pretty good. It's a plague book and sort-of about the apocalypse with a little bit of religion sprinkled in for diversity. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in the first century or religion or who just like a good book about plagues ;)

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well the Cestus deception was a pretty good read. There are waaay worse books out there and while this one isn't THE best it's still very well written. It features ARC troopers a lot in this one and challenges some of the notions about clone troopers. It made me question whether these guys would live to see the rise of the empire becaue they don't see like the type who would take part in massacres like the Stormtroopers did. Obi Wan fans will love it that's for sure.

Anyway I give this one an 8 out of 10.

13. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, thought I'd give this Jeff Long a try. First time in quite a while I put in a request and had it come up "place in queue 1" :)

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    heh I have the book sitting on my desk [face_blush]

I'll run it in first thing tomorrow (library's quite far)

15. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    You know you can drop it off at ANY library, right?

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    All the library's are far away man. I live out in the boonies :p

Seriously Callingwood and Spruce Grove are about the same distance and they're both fairly far from my place. Callingwood would be closer if people knew how to build roads :mad:

17. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    LOL I think they had three copies on the shelf, it's just a question of getting it to my branch. But if anyone has Digital Fortress sitting around GET IT BACK TO A LIBRARY!!!! :p I've been watching it count down for ages then it totally stalled at 9. It's been at 9 for TWO weeks. :(

18. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Matt Stover Rocks!

His stuff is mostly this kind of macho, killer action with an incredibly dark tinge to it. It's for mature reader's only but his writing style is awesome and he's an expert in martial arts so that makes his action scenes all the more believable.

It's also filled with some great one-liners that I can't post here. :D

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Jedi Trial Excerpt

This book doesn't come out til October and in my opinion it's a pretty important book because the Jedi Trial in the title is Anakin's Trial to become a full Jedi Knight. This is a pretty important book. :D

It's also pretty odd to get an excerpt from abook this long before it comes out.

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Dead Lines is pretty sweet. It's more of a mystery kind of book with a little bit of Sci-fi and some scary stuff thrown in.

Basically it's about a guy who's daughter and best friend die. Shortly afterward he's contracted to work with a company that makes a new type of cell phone that works anywhere in the world. But after he gets it weird things start happening. He starts to see apparitions and lights and occasionally ghosts. I'm about a third of the way through and I'm really liking it so far.

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    coles/whsmith (can't remember what its called now) in the mall has attack of the clones visual dictionary for $10 as well as the the spaceship book, i don't remember what its called.

I just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown it was really good

22. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I am still trudging through "Dune: The Machine Crusade". Getting a little dry, no pun intended.

Next on my list is "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore... can't wait for the final Dark Tower book to come in at the library!!!! =D=

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'll have to check out that visual dictionary.

I'm just going through Star by Star now. It's amazing all the things you pick up the second time.

I should go to the library sometime. Check out some stuff. Anyone have any recommendations?

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    got my visual dictionary, what a great book, so much detail about everything. could use a little more detail on padme stuff though

25. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    could use a little more detail on padme stuff though

LOL! :)

Finally finished Dune... got better towards the end, so I am actually looking forward to the final book of the trilogy. SPOILER: They actually kill off half of the main characters one by one in the final 50 pages; and these are (or were) important characters too! It's crazy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.