main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Edmontooine Book Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm debating whether I should pick up Medstar II or not... I'll get it, no doubts there. I just don't know if I should get it right away or not...

2. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Medstar is awesome!!! It's a really short read but I've found myself caring more about the characters and the development of the story over the action which is really rare in a Star Wars book. The actions scenes were really well written but I was far more interested in finding out who the spy was over the whole war raging on this planet.

This is easily one of my favorite novels of the Clone Wars era (second only to Shatterpoint in fact). The first one was a good book too, but this one just fleshed out the already well-rounded characters even more and made me care more about whether they'd end up happily-ever-after over fighting battle droids.

MASH was defintely an influence here you can tell.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    The new Galactic Battlegrounds paperback is at the Smithbooks/Coles at Edmonton Center. They also have a ton of the AOTC Incredible Cross Sections for 10 bucks each.

4. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    GB? Do you mean Republic Commando?

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, sure... ;)

6. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    So many books are coming out now and I can't afford any of them :(

7. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    slowly making my way through dark force rising, it was so nice to see Thrawn tricked for once

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    My rating for Jedi Trial so far is about 5.5 out of 10. I'll have a more in-depth review when the book is done. No spoilers so far though.

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Gah! Hard Contact is out. Dark Rendezvous is due out in a few weeks! I can't keep up! [face_worried]

10. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    there are rumours that the next harry potter book will be out in the middle of june 2005 :D how exciting.

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Who is this Potter and why is he so Hairy? :p ;)

12. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    Oy, oy! Just finished reading the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. :) The whole thing is comical, but I favor the part with the sperm whale, and the bowl of petunias :p.

13. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence. :p
    Some of my favorite books. Are you going to read the rest of the series? I highly recomend them.

14. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Hell yes. Going to chapters in the evening to buy the whole try.. err.. quadrupology :p. I only had the first book borrowed.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

15. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    Careful, I think you forgot "Mostly Harmless". There are 5 in total.

16. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Ah, then... pentalogy?

The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the Star-Spangled Banner, but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.

;)

Edit: And then Arthur realised something was missing. "Have you got any tea onboard?"

;)

17. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    YES! YESSSS!!!!1one

I've got myself the Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy box set, of all 5 books :).

'Tis the season to be jolly.

Arrr.

18. smelly_the_hutt

smelly_the_hutt Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2004
    Those Hithhikers books really are fantastic. Happy reading. When you're done, see if you can pick up the radio series and/or TV series too. They may be vailable from the library(??) Also, I'm pretty sure you can play the old text adventure game from online sources. Just do a Google search for it. (Anyone remember this game?) Oh yeah, and don't forget the movie comes out next year. Can't wait!!

19. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    Heh, doing the third book now. :D

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    So, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Great book. I give it a 4 out of 5. it promised Yoda and the cover features Dooku. It delivered on both counts. Not only that but it also gave us some Obi-wan and Anakin too.

Those of you that were worried that Yoda couldn't carry a whole novel on his own need not fear. He doesn't. He is featured very prominently in this book but the burden is shared by Dooku (Ventress also has a prominent role, though she's not exactly written as the Dark Jedi we all know and love - she seems more rogue-ish) and several original (at least as far as I know) characters.

The writing style reminds me a lot of Matt Stover but without the edge and the dark feel that he's known for. A lot of the book explores temptation and the Dark Side and in a few interesting parts it even mentions what tempts Yoda and explores some of his dark urges.

The action doesn't truly pick-up until about halfway through, but there are several scenes early in the book which holds the readers interest. Unlike TCD which suggested certain characters would feature prominently *cough*Dooku*cough* but weren't, or Jedi Trial which was supposed to be about Anakin, but really wasn't, Dark Rendezvous is a solid read that helps advance the overall story arc of the clone wars.

spoiler alert: Very Low [No spoilers below]

I'd rate the Episode 3 spoiler level as low to almost non-existant. If you know who General Grievous is then you might be a bit spoiled (the character is only mentioned though and is not explored whatsoever).

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    new Harry Potter book is coming out July 16 :D

22. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    recently read Eragon by Christopher Pierce (? not sure on the author) it was really good unfortunatly the next one won't be out till august. reading pride and prejudice for my book group right now.

23. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Always good to find a reason to re-read it. :) I've been re-reading all the Cathy Reichs books again. I need a new author, these days everyone has stalled or started new characters I don't like.

24. myself_me

Feb 16, 2003
    So long and thanks for all the fish...

So far proving to break away from the first book by far more than the others. So far, my order according to liking:

1. Life, Universe, Everything
    2. So Long And Thanks For All The Fish
    3. The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe
    4. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

THGTTG provided a perfect intro, and a story to build on, but it must be said that the sequel rule (that the sequel is always lesser than the original) is not valid here. SLATFATF is tying closely with LUE.

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Whatever happened to our little book-club thing that we had going :confused:

Anyone want to start that up again? We don't have to do SW books...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.