main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    [image=http://tronsoundtrack.com/img/offer2/cover_header.gif]

To sample some of the remixes included in the 'R3CONF1GUR3D' album type in 'm83' on the background of the TronSoundtrack.com page

When purchasing this album from the website, it will also include a 'Collector's Digital EP' [containing unreleased tracks / alternate takes]

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That looks VERY good. I think I'm in danger of officially becomming a Tron fan. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, I only now just noticed that CROM was played by Peter Jurasik (aka Londo from B5).

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Derezzed Official Music Video

Different than the pre-release one that had just footage from Legacy, this one is all original, in a style between the original film and Legacy.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I'm working up a list ofreferences to the original film found in Legacy, as well as any other easter eggs.

I've gone through what I've seen mentioned online in various interviews with the director or articles dealing with this subject, but since there were others I was able to add beyond these, there certainly must be others, so if anyone remembers (or, after the video release next week, finds) any others, feel free to point them out (or confirm some of the hazier ones):

Homages to Original Film (and Easter Eggs Pertaining to it):

-The tilted, rotating perspective of the title logo simulates the rotating of the original film's title logo.

-Kevin hums the Wendy Carlos title theme to TRON when he plays with the action figures.

-The poster art to TRON is repurposed as a poster for the Encom game of the same name.

-"Now that is a big door." Both Sam and Kevin say this line as they break into Encom at night (using similar methods).

-Cillian Murphy's cameo character is the son of Edward Dillinger, David Warner's character.

-Sam lives in a garage that says "DUMONT" on it. Dumont was the name of the tower guardian program written by Barnard Hughes's character, Walter Gibbs, who mentioned the garage as being where he started Encom from.

-Sam changes his shirt upon entering his garage apartment upon having a vistor. Kevin does the same in his arcade apartment when he has vistors.

-The same Space Paranoids billboard is above Flynn's Arcade (although it now mentions Tron on there too).

-The street sign outside Flynn's Arcade says "Mead Street", refering to original Tron designer Syd Mead.

-Journey songs play in Flynn's Arcade in both movies.

-An actual TRON arcade game has been repurposed as an Encom arcade game.

-Flynn's secret lab has multiple easter eggs: Flynn's handheld game from the first film, the MCP, spec details and early versions of the Shiva laser, etc.

-"Oh man, this isn't happening". Spoken by both Sam and Flynn when they arrive on the Grid.

-A Tank makes a brief cameo as Sam looks below from within the Recognizer.

-Same sound effects from "TRON: Deadly Discs" is used for Sam and Rinzlr in the arena (unconfirmed).

-Models of Bit are on Flynn's mantle (interacted with by only Flynn and CLU ala the original film).

-Director of original TRON, Steve Lisberger cameos as the End of Line bartender.

-"Finish the game!" Ordered by both SARK and CLU.

Other Easter Eggs:

-Sam's bedroom has a poster for The Black Hole, the remake of which will be directed by Legacy's director. Also has a 1980s Mac.

-Sam has an "89" Flynn Lives logo patch on him, referencing the viral campaign.

-Hidden Mickey with the sabotaged security camera.

-After Sam is taken into custody, you can see a backlit "2" on the side of a building as the Recognizer is taking off. It is the same "2" used in the "TR2N" title font from the Comic-Con test footage.

-Hall H vocals from Comic-Con are used for arena chants.

-Rinzler is named after the author of The Making of Star Wars, J.W. Rinzler.

-The game Quorra rarely beats Flynn at is "Go"- a game in real life that, unlike Chess, is notoriously difficult for computer programs to play well against a human player.

-"The only winning move is not to play." A reference to the movie "War Games". Related: CLU has a chess board.

-Gem is named after the GEM graphical environment that ran on Atari ST & DOS machines.

-Zuse is named after Konrad Zuse, creator of the first computer.

-Daft Punk cameos as the End of Line DJs.

-A (digitized) Wilhelm scream can be heard as last Black Guard is killed by Sam in the command room.

-The LOST numbers are hidden in the film somewhere.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    During the TCW finale, they were airing promo BTS spots from Legacy on CTN during the commercial breaks- and they had a whole segment on how Rinzler is Tron. I guess they don't care about keeping that secret/avoiding that spoiler anymore...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Initial List of Legacy Blu-Ray Easter Eggs

After you watch Flynn Lives Revealed, you get a menu of a Space Paranoids High Score screen, where you can enter in your initials- using the list provided on the screen you can access different information expanding on segments of the viral campaign, as well as the Dillingers chat clip.

Presumably, if the Quorra scene exists, it'll be an unlisted hidden easter egg accessed through this menu...once someone figures out the code.

10. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    mind = blown

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    FANTASTIC!!! I went with the 5-disc collector's edition and love it. My only complaint (unless I totally missed it) is that Legacy doesn't have a commentary track. Other than that I love it and vcan't wait for the sequel. Watched the Tron defending Flynn scene over and over.

T2Q I have a favor to ask, now that we it's finally out, any chance you can review the track listing? As I've said, I've always been terrible at picking out cues.

Thanks and enjoy!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sure, I'll be rewatching the movie a few times over the next week, and intend to do just that with the track list.

I thought I saw an commentary track on one of the menus, but it's not listed on the package, so I'm probably wrong.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Sure do wish I had a 3D tv as it looked okay in the theater. Anyway I bought the BluRay ed. Damn it looks SO GOOD on that PS3. Crystal sharp image and those blue and orange suits are damn near eyebleeding to look at(in a good way)!!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, I did the first half of the movie again for the soundtrack analysis- I'll do the second half tommorow. But here's what I have so far:

0) Flynn Remembers*
    1) The Grid
    X) PARTIAL: Father and Son (bedtime story scene)
    X) MISSING: TV Report Exposition Atmosphere
    2) The Son of Flynn
    3) Encom Part I (bonus track)
    4) Encom Part II (bonus track)
    5) Overture (only first half is used in film)
    5a) "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" by Journey
    5b) "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics
    X) MISSING?: Flynn's Secret Lab Atmospheric Music (can't tell if it's a piece of ambient music or sound effects)
    6) Recognizer
    7) Armory
    8) Arena
    9) Round One (bonus track)
    10) Rinzler
    XX) MISSING: CLU'S ARENA LANDING
    11) The Game Has Changed
    12) Outlands, Pt. I
    13) Father and Son (bonus track)
    XX) MISSING: YOUR MOVE, FLYNN

Also, I've been keeping my eye open for possible locations the Lost numbers might be hidden in, but since I don't have an HDTV or a player/TV with a zoom feature, this is a difficult prospect, but I'm gonna note them here for now until I (or anybody else) can discount any of them.

Possibilities So Far:
    -Sam's hacked Big Door password
    -Center City police department sign
    -Sam's login attempts in the secret lab (the left "window" in particular)

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    The tv series Lost has its numbers in Tron Legacy?

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    T2Q - thanks for the analysis, it's much appreciated!

As far as the Lost numbers go:

-Sam's hacked Big Door password
    I zoomed in and am quite confident that the numbers aren't here. His password is made up of letters as well

-Center City police department sign
    I guess I should ask which sign, but the signs I noticed didn't have any numbers

-Sam's login attempts in the secret lab (the left "window" in particular)
    The left window had numbers 4, 15 and 42, but not in any order that would appear deliberate.

2 other possibilities I thought of were the disc arena and the Nikkei index. I didn't notice them in the arena, but couldn't tell on the Nikkei.

Another possible easter egg during Sam's secret lab login are the history items kill -9 2207 and kill 2208. I wonder if any noteworthy events happened on those dates.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had thought about the Nikkei index but it didn't seem like any fields were appropriate in size.

As for the police station, I was thinking right under the main center sign above the doorway (it looked like some small numbers were along the bottom, but I couldn't tell at my TV's resolution). There was a plaque to the left of the screen too but it didn't right as an option.

I'm wondering if maybe they were worked into the Disc Wars scoreboard somehow, I'll have to take another look there. I think I was able to discount Jarvis's datapad too.

BTW, one of the documentary segments shows the MCP cameo: it's a cup holder/desk organizer styled after the MCP core, though it's hard to see in the finished film, it's there if you know where to look. (between the MCP cup holder and the Bit models, they really need to get rolling on the merchandising there, man).

I'm also curious what the significance is of one thing pinned to Flynn's board in the lab that says "March 1981", as that's my birthmonth :D.

Also, is anyone else kinda dissapointed by some missing extra features? The documentary is fine, and the Flynn Lives stuff is great, as is the Daft Punk music video.

But no commentary track? Ok, not every movie gets one and not every director wants to do one (but could you imagine a Bridges/Boxleitner/Steve commentary track?). No storyboards/deleted scenes? (we get a brief glimpse of the original MCP bedtime story in the documentary, but nothing else- like the unfilmed throne room disc battle).

No trailers? They include the Comic-Con test footage (though with a little audience cheers mixed in) in the documnetary but none of the regular trailers or TV spots. WTF? That's like the minimum special feature you need on a disc and they're not there. They had some great spots too.

I hope this isn't a trend with Disney or BD releases in terms of features. I mean, maybe some of that is being saved for the Disney Second Screen feature- but I want to watch the trailers and TV spots on my TV, not just a computer or ipad.

Yeah, the director said they're in there somewhere. Both screenwriters of Legacy wrote for Lost, thus their inclusion.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I watched the orginal film for the first time yesterday. Not at all what I was expecting. A ruthless corporation, industrial espionage, trippy and ground-breaking visuals and an evil AI that could give Skynet a run for its money. All in all,Tron was very sophisticated film on a number of levels.

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I really need to watch the original...Ive never seen it before.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Watch it. Tron doesn't feel like a Disney film at all.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment- there's definitely parts to the original TRON that are very much like the Disney movies of that era- some of it is in the real world scenes, but a lot of the humor in particular in the Grid scenes (the wackier aspects to the rebuilt Recognizer, googly-eyed sentinel deaths, etc) or the goofiness/cuteness of the grid bugs definitely strikes a chord along those lines.

But, not the entire film- it was definitely a movie trying to bridge the pre-SW era with the post-SW era but not quite grabbing all the right lessons along the way.

It certainly made TRON much more experimental and audacious than most other Disney films.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    See, to me Tron didn't feel like a Disney movie for one simple reason. What I saw Tron Legacy, my reaction that the Grid was the Matrix as envisioned by Apple. With the bright colours and the abstract imagry, the Grid in Tron felt the Matrix as envisioned by Stanley Kubrick. The compartive lack of close ups and tight shots in Tron, also felt very Kubrickian. Even the Encom scenes to have been intentionally shot from a distance.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    and here's part two of my soundtrack analysis:

14) Adagio For TRON
    15) Nocturne
    XX) MISSING: Bedrooms & Flynn's Dreams
    16) Outlands, Pt. II
    17) End of Line
    XX) PARTIAL: Castor (Electrify the boys and girls!)
    18) Reflections (bonus track)
    19) Castor (bonus track)
    20) Derezzed
    21) Fall
    22) Sea of Simulation (launch of the sailer and Quorra's repair)
    XX) MISSING: CLU's Arrival At the End of Line Club (almost sounds like a blend of an excerpt from Recognizer with the intro to C.L.U. used as an outro)
    XX) REUSED: Nocturne (Sam and Kevin catch up- this might be an original piece)
    XX) MISSING: Rinzler investigates the elevator
    XX) PARTIAL: C.L.U. ("End of line, man."; this could also be a separate track using the same theme, I'm uncertain)
    23) Sunrise Prelude (bonus track) (during Quorra's recounting of Flynn saving her and the discussion of the sun) (however, there's a small missing piece of ominous music played briefly over this track's middle when Rinzler's Recognizer is revealed to be trailing them)
    XX) MISSING: Boarding the Rectifier
    XX) PARTIAL: Disc Wars (Quorra removes herself from the equation)
    XX) MISSING: Clu installs the Disc Atmosphere
    XX) MISSING: Clu's Speech Intro (may just be an excerpt from C.L.U.)
    24) Rectifier
    25) Disc Wars
    26) C.L.U.
    XX) MISSING: Flynn's Request/Freefall/Tron 2.0
    27) Arrival
    28) Flynn Lives
    XX) REUSED: Father and Son
    XX) REUSED: Sunrise Prelude
    29) TRON Legacy (End Titles)
    30) Solar Sailer
    31) Finale

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Anyone else having issues with the digital download? I've tried 3 times now and I can't get it to work on my ipad.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The other thing to keep in mind about the original Tron is that it was released in 1982, so the concepts were pretty much ahead of their time. Language we take for granted wasn't common back then.

Thanks again T2Q! I have a question. You list Solar Sailor as being reused and as track 30 (changing from the XX convention of reused pieces), so was it initially used between Fall and Sea or Sea and Sunrise? Thanks again