main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ep 2 a teen movie?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by rayrayjay, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omi-Lin

Omi-Lin Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    Alderaan Princess... i like your name and your picture, glad you see what we're trying to say here... do you like my picture??

2. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    If Leo was Anakin, he would be going for Obi-Wan, not Padme. (ha,ha,ha,....)

3. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I don't think Episode II is aiming for any audiance in particular. Sure there is the good-looking Anikin, but hey, wasn't Luke or Han Solo good looking too in the OT?

And sure, Padme is good looking, but even Leia isn't too bad herself.

And about NSYNC? Who cares? I wouldn't notice that they were there anyway. And no one else would have either if there wasn't such a riot about it.

Star Wars is for all ages. That is why it is so popular.

4. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Leo as Anakin would have been the end. I seriously would have problems enjoying the movie if Leo was Anakin. I would be too distracted by my bitterness towards that talentless punk.

Lucas may be trying to get teens more interested in the movie but by no means will it purely be a teen movie. It will be enjoyable to people of all ages. Little kids will like the aliens and explosions. Teens will like Hayden and Natalie. Adults will like Natalie and Ewan as well as the actual storyline. Longtime fans will like the continuation of Palpatine's rise to power and the plot (hopefully). Everyone will like the action scenes for the most part except those who can't except CGI as a part of the movie-making business. AOTC will have something for everything. I wouldn't be too worried about it being teen orientated as that will not be the case.

5. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...leo dicaprio is talentless?...nitkos you may not like him but at least respect his talent...that guy has loads of acting talent...loads...

...id love to hear the reasons why you dont like him...

6. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    OK first of all if you claim Leonardo Dicaprio is talentless then rent "Basketball Diaries."

Now for the record let's just say I was very young, but old enough to see and remember the original ANH in the theaters within the first month of it's release. Yes at 21 I believe you are still closer to those 4 years younger than 4 years older- in most cases!

A few things to keep in mind: after TPM in an interview I heard GL say something along the lines of, "People need to remember Ep 1 was a very dark movie. There were a lot of things going on behind the scenes. That is why it's was The Phantom Menace." He went on to say Ep 2 was going to be a romantic film, but still targeted at the same age group as the other Star Wars films have been. So from that I gather even though the OT transcended age categories he has always been aiming for one category.

Now with an idea of my age, I have to say not all "Teenie Movies" are that bad. My wife picks them out from time to time (pretty much any thing with Sarah Michelle Gellar or Reese Witherspoon) and I could live with it if Ep 2 is a teenie flick.

I was not initially happy with TPM. I think the reason was because of my own expectations. Likewise, I thought Unbreakable was going to be as good as The 6th Sense and it wasn't, so I was disappointed. Unbreakable wasn't bad, my expectations were just so high. I had heard BattleField Earth completely sucked, and then I caught it on cable one night and thought it was worth the watch. Was it as good as Unbreakable? No. Did I have a bad taste in my mouth when I finished watching Unbreakable similar to the one I had after TPM? Yes.

What I am saying is the expectations are going to mess the experience up. I am very excited, but I just want to be entertained whether it be by a Kid's movie, Teenie movie or whatever.

-Coal

7. ImperialDrone1138

ImperialDrone1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I don't doubt that a ton of teenie boppers will be seeing Episode II just because of Hayden. That is ok to some extent. But if the sole purpose for seeing a film is to look at someone, thats just stupid. From everything I've heard, 90% of the people who saw Glitter just wanted to look at Mariah Carey. I'm just hoping that the people who go to see Ep II actually, genuinely want to see a good movie with interesting characters and an interesting story.

8. DarthNeolus

DarthNeolus Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2002
    I personally think that Leo dicaprio would make a much better Anakin why because he is much more acting experience then hayden not that a dislike him, like what opinion said the guy has Leo has tons of acting talent.

9. Raincitygirl

Raincitygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah, but you haven't *seen* Hayden as Anakin yet. Hayden may not have been famous for years, but he's been acting for years, so he's not necessarily inexperienced. I'm not saying either actor would be better, in part because I don't want to prejudge until I've actually seen Hayden play Anakin. If he turns out to be lousy, I'll feel free to "what if", imagining other actors in the role. But it seems a little unfair to me to prejudge the guy just because he wasn't already famous.

10. DarthNeolus

Apr 1, 2002
    i see your point Raincitygirl

11. DarthNeolus

Apr 1, 2002
    Have you every seen Romeo+Juliet
    "The true Darkside lies in Leo"

12. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The Leo Romeo & Juliet movie was terrible. Not necessarily because of Leo but the whole decision to put in the modern world was the dumbest idea ever. Leo was terrible in that piece of crap called Titanic. I wanted his character to die in that movie and it was the first movie I ever saw with him so I wasn't bias at the time. I didn't care for him at all because his acting didn't make me care about what happened to him. He failed miserably to make me care. And the Beach was another piece of garbage and he didn't do a good job at all in that either. I think those are the only 3 movies I've seen with him in it and he sucked in all of them and the movies all sucked in general.

13. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
    Romeo + Juliet was definitely terrible. The Beach I thought had had a cool concept, but a lousy script.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, The Basketball Diaries, and This Boy's Life are the movies I originally based my opinion of Leo on.

Now with Titanic, I didn't mind him or any other actor/actress. I just hated it because the hype that it got for so long. It really isn't that bad of a movie, but it sure as hell isn't a great movie!

Sorry I got off topic there.

14. DarthNeolus

Apr 1, 2002
    yeah R+J sucks the script sucks I agreed with you but the point is I rather see Leo as Anakin then Hayden. From your ?point of view? yeah Leo sucks not to mine.

Sorry I got off topic there

15. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    I think Leo Dicaprio is a superb actor and would have made a great Anakin or Peter Parker. The reason I think they didn't give him those roles is because they wanted unknown actors. After Titanic he became way to famous and I'm guessing they thought that might be to distracting. Instead of seeing Anakin people would have seen Jack Dawson. The only reason people hate Titanic so much is because of the immense popularity it had, all time box office champ, pretty much swept the Oscar's and all the media hype after it made tons of money. You have to remember that before the movie came out it had negative media hype because it went over budget, 200 million! Anyways I liked the movie and thought it deserved all the awards and I also loved it because it was a James Cameron film, one of my idol's. :) If Titanic was such a horrible movie why did it win so many academy awards!?

I too am sorry if I got waaaaaay off topic. :D

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `The only reason people hate Titanic so much is because of the immense popularity it had, all time box office champ, pretty much swept the Oscar's and all the media hype after it made tons of money. You have to remember that before the movie came out it had negative media hype because it went over budget, 200 million! Anyways I liked the movie and thought it deserved all the awards and I also loved it because it was a James Cameron film, one of my idol's. If Titanic was such a horrible movie why did it win so many academy awards!?'

Can't all of this, more or less, apply to a film that came out in 1977? :)

And remember the oscars awarded The Sound of Music Best Picture. Is it? :)

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Beach is a good example of what happens if you are aiming at another audience. Director Danny Boyle and his aides dropped Ewan McGregor for the project just because Leo would make it a greater success in the USA.
    If you think the concept was good, READ THE BOOK by Alex Garland. One of the best books I've ever read.
    After reading it, you can see the decisions that went into the movie to make it more audience-friendly. Crap.

Hayden isn't there for the teenies, he's there because Anakin's a teen. And I like the fact that he's a virtual unknown, because this emphasizes everything Lucas has said about using not-too-famous-actors so the audience would see the characters, not the actors.

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Director Danny Boyle and his aides dropped Ewan McGregor for the project just because Leo would make it a greater success in the USA.'

The Beach failed didn't it? :)

19. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Basically, I don't think it's made as being a teen movie. But if gets more people to see it, then I say great.

20. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Thank you for trying to steer this thread back on topic Mogook. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

21. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    No problem Mace. :)

22. melbatoast

melbatoast Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2001
    Just for the record, I'm 25 and married, don't usually "go crazy" over movie stars, etc. , but Hayden's a hottie to me!

Back to the question of EP2 being a teen flick - I think Lucas is trying to get more of a teen audience, but I don't think the film in its entirety will be a teen flick. At least, I hope not!!!

I've been a fan of SW since I saw ROTJ as a little kid, and I've always enjoyed that the movies were geared for all audiences.

23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    If TPM is a kids movie, how come Natalie is hot in it? Was that for the little kids? I don't think so. The entire saga has no age limit.

24. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Natalie was hot in TPM? Wasn't she like 16 when she filmed that? Cute is a more appropriate word I think.

Although she's most definatley hot in Episode II. Can anyone say "WHITE OUTFIT"? :D

25. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Oops double post. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.