main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Episode 1-6 will make sense after Episode 3?"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Paul_78, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    1) C3PO and R2 don't remember Obi Wan. Ok, so R2 says he's the property of Obi Wan, but the memory-erasing thing sounds a bit fishy.

Well, -Threepio- doesn't remember Obi-Wan. In ROTS, I know Threepio does indeed get his memory erased, as for Artoo, I don't know. R2 probably does remember Obi-Wan, and claims he belongs to him to trick Luke into bringing him to Obi-Wan. Let's not forget R2 is a little eccentric...

2) "Strange, I don't recall owning any droids...". Even wise old Obi Wan can't remember them!

Not really. I'm sure Obi-Wan knows exactly who they are... look at that twinkle in his eye, amused to see them. I'm not sure of that was done on purpose or not, but it certainly convinces me. Let's also mention that Jedi are no sopposed to really own any property, droids, starfighters, etc. are soposed to belong to the Jedi order itself (although Anakin has broken this rule, although its in the Clone Wars cartoon and that's EU, so I can't tell anyone to accept that or not) Let's also remember that the droid Obi-Wan normally used was an R4 unit, and not R2. R2 was Anakin's astromech, not Obi-Wan's...

3)"I haven't gone by the name Obi Wan since before you were born..." - so he 'becomes' Ben in Ep 3?

Well, he doesn't transform into another person, but he does take the name of 'Ben' around that time to protect his identity, and keep the Empire from finding Luke and his self. If you were Vader and found that a person named 'Obi-Wan' lived in Tatooine, wouldn't you be suspicious as to who it really was?

4) How come Vader doesn't cry out "Threepio! What are YOU doing here? What are you up to these days? Fancy a cuppa? We can mull over old times..." during the scene in 'Empire' when Han gest frozen in carbonite? After all, HE made him, didn't he?

First off all, Threepio looked different. Secondly, he was blown apart and stuck on the back of a wookie. Thirdly, he had his memory wiped. Lastly, Vader was more concerned with freezing Han and Luke in carbonite than to notice a blown apart droid of a very common model (there are quite a few 3P0 model droids in star wars) and feel sentimental (let's not mention that 'The name Anakin has no meaning to me anymore'), and the chances of meeting Threepio again would be too slim to consider. Even if it did indeed happen. ^^;

5) This is a minor point, but on the new DVD version of Jedi, we see a ghostly Hayden C at the end with Yoda and Obi Wan, which makes no sense whatsoever. If Jedis can choose what they look like in death, why doesn't Obi Wan come back as Ewan McGregor? Sebastian Shaw would be soooo pissed if he was still alive!

Well, this one isn't really a plothole but fuzzy movie logic. Yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense to see Hayden there as a ghost, but it connects more with the audience on an emotional note, as that's how we remember Anakin before he became Vader (When watched in order). By your logic, which does make ok real life sense but bad movie sense, we would see Anakin as an ugly, bald, burned guy with no arms or legs. While it makes sense, it ruins the moment, no? =p

2. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    ""Strange, I don't recall owning any droids...". Even wise old Obi Wan can't remember them!"

Why would Obi-Wan recall 3PO and R2? They belonged to Anakin and Padme, and later disappeared in the twenty years between ROTS and ANH.

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    When you think about it, people who actually have a chance to watch all six could be confused if they saw Shaw.

I suppose, if they were so dimwitted that they couldn't remeber the face they saw seven minutes ago.
    Then again, they would have other, more pressing issues to deal with if that were the case, like which end of the sock their foot goes in.

Hayden in "old makeup" would be even worse. As if I'm so stupid that I would believe a fifty year old man would look exactly like he did in his twenties, but be more wrinkled.

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Watched in order, the audience has a stronger emotional connection to Hayden Christensen than they do with Sebastian Shaw. It's as simple as that.

5. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    First, everything about Obi-Wan meeting Luke in IV indeed makes sense. He dropped Luke off. He has watched over him. How did Obi-Wan know Luke's name before Luke actually told him? Luke's reputation is in NO way that great. And he could and probably should have put on a show of not remembering R2. He never actually said he doesn't remember him, and if he had acknowledged R2 he would have to tell Luke, "Oh, this was your father's droid before he was, um, murdered..."

Second, Vader does not care about 3PO after 20 yeas, and anyway, 3PO looks like every other protocol droid in the galaxy. He cannot have been the only one with gold plating.

Third, I've fought this fight before. Anakin's ghost is young because he represents Anakin before he was turned and maimed. If Anakin's ghost were old like Ben & Yoda, in actuality he would be white, scarred, and he'd be a quadriplegic. And it makes NO sense to conjecture aged Ani as a complete man with arms and legs because the aged limbs NEVER EXISTED. The limbs were destroyed when Ani was young. George changed the ghost so that he could be more aesthetically pleasing, and none of his ghostly body was conjectured.

I believe Ep.I-VI will make plenty of sense OVERALL. And Episode I told the neccessary story of why Anakin bacame a jedi and how the emporer first gained interest in him and it told about Qui-Gon Jinn, who plays more of an 'unseen' major role later in the saga.

All that being said, I just wish there were a logical way to explain why there are no more color-coded elite troopers in the OT. Why did he make them to be more than just the white armored guys?

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I suppose, if they were so dimwitted that they couldn't remeber the face they saw seven minutes ago.
    Then again, they would have other, more pressing issues to deal with if that were the case, like which end of the sock their foot goes in.

Hayden in "old makeup" would be even worse. As if I'm so stupid that I would believe a fifty year old man would look exactly like he did in his twenties, but be more wrinkled.

Not entirely. The way I interpreted that change is that force users appear to others based on their own psychological projection of the self. Since Anakin lost most of his body at the age of 23, he is unable to picture himself as a 46 year old man, thus we are introduced to the last time he remembers being whole - as a young man.

IMO, I don't care either way. Like both and don't mind either.

7. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I have another view point. Although Anakin died in his forties, as the Chosen One, wouldn't he be able to choose appear anyway he wanted to?

8. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    I've never understood why people believe that Vader should have recognized 3PO. Droids are like cars, the same models all look the same. Vader has likely seen many protocol droids over the years. Do you expect him to run up to each one and say "3PO? Is that you?!" and squeal like a school girl? It's like seeing a car on the street that's the same model as your first car from 20 years ago. Why would you assume that it IS your car? And Obi-wan didn't interacted with the droids very much in the prequels, and he never owned either of them.

9. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Notice also that the first Threepio shot in ANH shows another Protocol droid (as well as in TPM). That reinforces the idea that they are very common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.