main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 costumes (The Non-spoiler edition)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Jayne, I really am hoping you to make the peacock dress. ;)

2. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    LOL, me too, but it seems like it's going to be the difficult one. Just finding the perfect fabrics is proving very difficult.

I got my silk velvet for the olive drab cloak today. It seems a little too drab and not enough olive. I'll probably pre-shrink then do the mock up before I decide to dye it.

3. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    For anyone who's nervous, I just saw the trailer today, after prodding from my boyfriend, and I personally think it's pretty spoiler-safe. I was told that if you freeze-frame it you can find lots of stuff, so you may want to watch that, but mainly what I saw was 1 to 3 second clips of things, not enough to see much of anything except Anakin turning to Vader, which I really can't consider a spoiler since you know it's the basis of the movie.

Costume-wise it was pretty disappointing. There were only three shots of Padme, and none of them showed anything below the shoulders. One was of the blue nightrobe-looking outfit we saw in the 'gag reel' part of the webdoc on 3PO. Another was the Leia-buns with a black outfit, all we really see is the sleeve. The third is interesting, it has a pretty amethyst-crystal headband, but you can't see anything else, not even shoulders to tell a costume color. I think it's a new one, though.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    New pic of Padmé with the Leia-esque buns. They are differently shaped, reminding me of the Hopi Indian hairstyles that we've seen being used as reference images for her styles.

Personally, I love it! [face_love]

Non-spoiler pic of Padmé's hair

She's wearing earrings too! I think it's the first time we've seen her in earrings. And she is wearing the black costume that I suspected was her's. Can't tell anything about it really.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw that photo, I really love those earrings, and they are definetly a first time appearance.

Since I guess that there's more discussion going on in the other thread that someone will post a recap of the costume discussions whenever you come to any conclusions. :)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there's a lot of talk about Padmé's buns in the other thread. Most people don't like them because of the way they angle out.

But, for the record, I love them. :)

There was also a nice picture of Bail's head and shoulders that came out on the OS. He's got some very nice metal things, for lack of a better description, on his collar and upper torso. Take a look (there are no spoilers):

Bail's head and shoulders :)

7. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I'm starting to get really curious about reading the spoiler version of this thread. Just how bad is it? Is there a really large ammount of spoilerish stuff discussed in there? Or is it pretty much everything you'd know anyway from the trailer and whatnot? Cause I want to discuss the costumes more but I'm not sure I want to ruin the entire story for myself.

8. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    Resist, Icyis, resist!

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I'm one of those who doesn't really like the buns, they seem to big in a way.

I'm looking forward to Bail though, hmm, I had a SW dream last night where they had cut out Bail from the whole ROTS, and I was not happy about it. [face_laugh]

And you must resist the spoilers Icyis!

10. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    iycis, the answer to your qustion about the spoiler thread is that it's not what I would call super-spoilery, BUT there are times when significant plot points are discussed. So, if you truly want to stay unspoiled (and you're a stronger woman than me if you can ;) ), it'd probably be best to not look.
    Right now, all you're missing is hair, hair, hair chatter. :)

11. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Arrr...must resist!! I don't think I can. Ah well, I've already had too many plot points ruined by my boyfriend who can't keep his mouth shut when he reads spoilers. I think I will just give in. And now to go read all 20-some pages of that thread. It's going to take a while.

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    iycis, I understand the temptation. If you come over to the spoiled side, I'll welcome you with open arms. [:D]

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, I think I've decided to make the sleeveless brown outfit in time for C3/the premiere. My first plans were to make either the purple gown or the green robe, but the factor of time and definetly money has made me choose a costume with less fabric in it. Two smaller reasons are that 1 it will probably be more comfortable, and 2 I want to be recognised at the premiere, and since this is a dress that will be among the first action figures it should be more well known outside of the costuming community.

I think I will use Stil 21519 as the base for the tunic.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a new pic of Padmé floating around (saw it in 3SA). Basically it's a picture of her face/neck only.

Padmé

ObiAnne, that pattern looks like a good place to start for that costume. It's going to look great on you. :)

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks Dawn. :)

And I really like the neck piece of that costume, it's a wonderful fabric.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, it is pretty. It looks like maybe it's a crinkled pleated fabric or something? Wish we could see more of it to know for sure...argh!

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
  18. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    Thanks for re-posting those, Obi-Dawn! That's a neat close-up, I think the crinkles looks to be the lining of a hood or capelet. That stand-up collar is pretty cool, too. And blue-purple must be her new senate color, that's two now, plus the deleted gown was a bluey color too. Wonder if there's a theme/purpose behind it?

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    On the jacket of the Making of ROTS book there is a photo of Padmé's blue robe. click here

20. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    I will be at CIII and will be 5 months pregnant, so I'm hoping to make one of the Padme costumes. But, since it will really only fit me when pregnant, I don't want to make any of the crazy complicated ones.

Any suggestions and images to point me to of a simpler costume?

I have seen a picture of her hugging Anakin in which she is wearing a long black coat with black flowers in the fabric and some sort of ornamental belt hooking onto the side (her hair is down and curly). I already have a coat very similar to this in the back, but I can't find another picture of this costume. Have you seen one?

Thanks!

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't know what dress you are talking about. If you want to have an easy costume that wont need so much fabric either, and that way it will be cheap, that's the sleeveless brown outfit. That is simply a tunic, two leather belts and then a white/light brown pair of pants and boots.

22. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    She means the kissy kissy costume I believe. Part of this costume is now believed to be worn with 2 different costumes. The one with the buns and the one with the black coat we see in the pic where she's kissing Anakin:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.