main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Episode 7 director

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Frank T., Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Who do you want? Who wants to do it? Who can't do it due to contracts, etc.?

I'd love to see the Wachowskis do it but doubt they would. Spielberg seems like the best bet to me.

Pensivia and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  2. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson or Stephen Spielberg.

3. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino, or John Woo.

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    If anything they will get Lucas's life long friend Steven Spealberg to direct.

In fact Lucas already tried to get him to direct ROTJ back in 83 but couldn't due to technical/timing issues and in ROTS Spealberg WAS brought on as a "guest director" for key scenes. Lucas has always wanted Spealberg to do a Star Wars film. Spealberg has always wanted to "do a Star Wars" as he phrases it.

Now is the time.[face_coffee]

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Spielberg wasn't able to direct ROTJ because it wasn't a union project, & as such, it probably would have required him to relinquish his membership of the Directors' Guild of America.

GL turfed his DGA membership in disgust after the issues regarding Irvin Kershner's credit appearing at the end of ESB, rather than at the start. IIRC, he was fined about $50,000, despite Kershner stating that he was perfectly happy for his credit to appear at the end.

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    In the category of "I'd like but prob not gonna happen"

Guillermo del Toro

7. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Wht was spielbergs last hit....that he directed not financed

8. Drunken Jedi Master

Drunken Jedi Master Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 1999
    FWIW, Spielberg was on Morning Joe (moning politics show on MSNBC for those who may not know) discussing his upcoming movie Lincoln. When asked about his next project he said "my next movie is going to be a scifi movie".

Take it with a grain of salt, naturally, but it suddenly seems very likely. :D

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    JJ Abrams

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    JJ Abrams

I don't want anyone that will add "their thing" to it. Del Toro/Burton etc

11. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Peter jackson....bugger I dont know....who ever it is I already feel sorry for them

12. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Steven Spielberg or Dave Filoni.

13. Drunken Jedi Master

Drunken Jedi Master Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 1999
    Peter Jackson is kinda busy for the foreseeable future.

14. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    After seeing John Carter, which in many ways 'felt' more like Star Wars than the actual SW prequels did, I think Andrew Stanton could be a good choice. Of course whether Disney would let him anywhere near it is another matter.

15. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Alfonso Cuaron.

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Francis Ford Coppola.

But I wanted him for the PT & it didn't happen. It'd be a consolation prize, nothing more.

17. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    I don't even really like Guillermo del Toro that much. But I totally agree with this. Totally. Star Wars is Star Wars no matter who directs it. So your going to have a very Star Warsy movie no matter what. So the best thing to do is bring in somebody who 1. has some style and 2. has a style that seems like it would be a benefit to Star Wars Del Toro fits that bill perfectly.

18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Episode 7: Steven Spielberg

Episode 8: Joe Johnson

Episode 9: Peter Jackson

19. captain_trips

captain_trips Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    ...Uwe Boll....

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Jim Jarmusch

21. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Totally disagree. As long as "their thing" works for Star Wars I say thats exactly what is needed. Burton A million times NO WAY. Del Toro. Yeah. I could very much see that as great addition.

22. captain_trips

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't honestly say JJ Abrams.... every lightsaber battle would be blinded and washed out with lens flares.

23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Because every film made by the same direction has to be excatly the same?

If I was at Disney and I owned Star Wars and Indy I'd reach out to Spielberg and Abrams. I'd want Spielberg making Indy 5 ASAP. Its another valuable brand their own, and if they can get another movie out and get people excited about Indy again, it just creates more oppertunities for them. I'd want Abrams on Star Wars. First, he is in the prime o fhis career and I'd want one direction for the whole trilogy. One guy, one vision. Second, he is a self-proclaimed Star Wars guy. He likes the franchise, he is a fan/was a fan growing up. Third, he is a lot like Spielberg in that he knows what makes a good story, how to tell a good story, and how to make those stories look great on the screen. Fourth, like having Whedon direction Avengers, Abrams buys you time from the fan base. He is a direction who is popular, has a body of work that many of your fans knows and likes. It will be one less thing the fan base as a whole will be second guessing you about while the movie is made. Fifth, you steal away the guy who was making your biggest competition in the Sci-Fi action/adventure space.

24. captain_trips

Oct 31, 2012
    Every recent film I've seen by JJ Abrams has been riddled with lens flares. And I can't imagine that effect with a movie that the primary device of ultimate awesomness is one big ass string of light. Much less a movie set in space with giant glowing stars and planets. Attack of the Lens Flares. Revenge of the Lens Flares. The Phantom Flares. Whatever you call it, there will be lens flares if JJ abrams gets ahold of it.

On side note, I do love Super 8, so at least Abrams has that going for him.

25. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It doesn't sound like Disney has any desire to touch the Indy franchise - despite buying the rights to do so - at the current time because of the complicated financial entanglements Paramount has with regards to that property.

Concerning possible directors, here's my Top 5:
    1. Lawrence Kasden & Stephen Spielberg (TIE)
    2. Joss Whedon
    3. Peter Jackson
    4. James Cameron
    5. Roland Emmerich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.