main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESPN The Mag or Sports Illustrated?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by NorCalBirdz, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I like both mags, but Sports Illustrated is far superior in my opinion. ESPN the mag tends to focus too much on personal stories and not on the big picture. Some might like it that way since so much sports information is available on the net anyway, but I think Sports Illustrated is just a better overall package.

On the other hand, I've just got to have that ESPN Digital MP3 player that comes with an ESPN the mag subscription. I mean, look at it, it must be at least 512MB!!!

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    SI is time and newsweek quality, and is much more professional. Journalistically speaking, it has no real rival as a sports magazine.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I've never spent much time reading ESPN the magazine, although I may be getting it soon (really more for the insider articles online), but I was never very impressed with SI back when I got it a few years ago. Seemed rather mediocre at best and not worth the cost.

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    You can't beat SI's brilliant photography. I also enjoy many of their writers and sections. I should get a subscription myself (I just mooched off my brother before). :p

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    SI is better than ESPN the Magazine, as is The Sporting News, which is oft-forgotten.

ESPN the magazine is too much like ESPN the network, focused on bludgeoning you to death over the hype of whoever is the latest future hall-of-famer that never ends up working out.

SI focuses on the writing, and with guys like Reilly, Verducci, and Deford, my personal favorites, they are far superior.

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I've never really read SI, so I'd have to say ESPN the mag. Of course, with ESPN you get access to the insider sections on ESPN.com, which is simply awesome, so even if SI is brilliant, I dunno if it can make up for that.

7. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I like them both... But I'm more a fan of Sports Illustrated. That's my personal favorite (awesome stories and photos)...

8. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I refuse to get a subscription to SI until I can get the championship pack for one of my teams. You know, the book, video and ball? So it might be a while.

9. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I was thinking of the same thing actually, but considering my neurosis, I didn't want to jinx anyone. :p

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have both, but got neither for the magazine. I got ESPN as a bonus for being a .com insider, and I got SI when I wanted the Steelers championship pack.

I won't be resubscribing to SI, but I probably will renew with ESPN

11. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Heh, I was convincced I was getting this for the Mets this year.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait for the Jets.

:p

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't think I've ever had a doctor's appointment where I didn't come out of the office with at least 4 issues of S.I. snuggled safely in my purse. [face_blush]

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    thief!!!111!!!

:p

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I prefer to refer to it as recycling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.