main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU fans...How do you personally view the SW continuity?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kane_Skywalker, Aug 10, 2001.

?

EU fans...How do you personally view the SW continuity?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2001.
  1. Only the Star Wars films are canon. If George Lucas didn't write it, it's rubbish.

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. I consider the films, novelizations, scripts and radio dramas to be canon, but nothing else.

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Only that which Lucasfilm Licensing says is canon ( Everything except the Infinities products. )

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. It's all canon and can all fit. That includes TV specials, cartoons, kids books, videogames and the

19 vote(s)
    27.9%
  5. I only accept the stories that I like. Goodbye Glove of Darth Vader!

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kane_Skywalker

Kane_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2001
  2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Oh. To be clear...the choice "Only that which LFL says is canon ( everything except Inifnities )"...That doesn't include more apocryphal stories like the 80's kids books, Rebel Assault, Star Tours etc. If you see those as continuity, pick "All of it". Obviously, something like A New Hope Infinities is not part of the official timeline, so there shouldn't be any question about that. The "All" choice does not include the basic elements of that story.

Er, yeah... :p

P.S. - Kane is my loyal sock puppet.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    sturm according to lfl, guide to characters, and game interviews for rebel assault(either in galaxy or insider, I think), lucas interviews from the 80's for star tours, all of those things you are trying to denie are valid, and same level(or higher) as other sources.

guide to characters, and star wars encyclapedia etc, has the list of 80's children's books, documented in the back, as sources used to write the book. nothing saying it's not valid. (note out of print does not equate validity) several books are going out of print as we speak, or already are(galaxy of fear, Farlander, stele chronicles)

Early star wars interviews, with lucas, said that star tours was an sequel to the movies, and the ride itself was filmed at lfl studios, produced by lucas. Infact a new series of action figures based on the ride's characters will be sold by kenner as exclusives. you know that will explain some of there histories on the back of the boxes.

the game related article for rebel assault, set a date for the game, and discussed places it visited and how it fit in with star wars: anh.

So none of those are less appochryphal than any other source. They are still listed as valid parts of the star wars Continuity.

The only things that have been marked as more appocryphal by the way, is devil worlds, tales and infinities. So those are the only things that count as not being part of the timeline.

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I agree with Val.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I know. It's just that there's so few references to them in the more popular literature. It's not the fact that they contradict anything ( which they don't - especially with our fixes ) but the fact that they aren't as well recognized in the continuity as they should be. Like the Marvel comics. I don't consider them apocryphal at all, but some people do. I wanted to make sure that all facets of the continuity, and how people view them, had a choice for the poll.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Your placing your own view. Not what LFL dictates, that comes before putting are own beliefs on anything. that one answere on your poll better fits lfl's over encompassing view.

as for stories hardly getting refrences, what about short stories in aj journals, or other WEG sources. quite a bit of info gets unmentioned. do we throw them out for the same logic your using?

No not at all. thats were your theory is flawed.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm just Val's puppet. :D

What he said again.

I'm lazy. :D

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Canon is whatever I want it to be. Not what I don't like or not, but if it fits in my mind.

So, I voted for If it fits...

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<Your placing your own view. Not what LFL dictates, that comes before putting are own beliefs on anything. that one answere on your poll better fits lfl's over encompassing view.
    >>

I tried to let all the various continuity outlooks have a voice on the poll. That's why I added the one about "Only the movies".

I'm not debating what is or isn't canon. Been done to death, and I accept almost all of it anyway. As you know. But some people don't...so I gave them their own poll choices.

<<as for stories hardly getting refrences, what about short stories in aj journals, or other WEG sources. quite a bit of info gets unmentioned. do we throw them out for the same logic your using?
    >>

No. I'm just surprised at the lack of references sometimes. I mean, I think Star Tours has been referenced like 2 times since 1987, to my knowledge. A couple of comments in Specter ( Karrde's droid and Mara mentions tourists and Starspeeders ) and an AJ story where two Rebel operatives take a Starspeeder to some planet. I wish more authors would use stuff from the things I listed.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Don't forget stele, scans a star tours company shuttle in Tiefighter novel/strat/game.

but one reason i'm complaining is you changed the meaning of that vote choice, before I knew about it, and I already voted on it because it was the best vote going by a LFL, and completists stance. the one below it was kind of redundant, and implying somethings were less than equal.

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Oh yeah...TIE Fighter.

Sorry. Well, hopefully others will see what I mean. But your choice was still a good one, from our point of view of most or all of it fitting together.

12. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    You'd get a completely differant response if you posted this in the Attack of the Clones board.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    funny how number 1 can cover all those stories filmed and written by lucas. (sextology, ewok duology, star tours, droids, ewoks.), ;)

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I know. But the canonists would never swallow it. :)

C-3PO ( Goldenrod ) I agree. But they're full of [edited by the Force] over there.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "I know. But the canonists would never swallow it."

Some do, some don't, some accept only some, some are Only OT purists, some that even accept Holiday Special as canon, etc, there's dissention, and splitting views in the canonists ranks, kind of like different church denominations each selling there own view, ;).

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I guess they're kind of like us with our books then.

What I can't understand is why someone would accept Caravan of Courage and not Heir to the Empire. :D

17. stephengraves

stephengraves Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    I can't understand the dogmatic view most SW fans have about canon. I'm a fan of Doctor Who, and the situation is very different over there. There's a tv show, there's comics, there are audio plays, there are books and films, and novelisations, and there are contradictions between them, some big, some small. But, for the most part, we just say, "you make your own canon." That's what I've done with Star Wars. Doctor Who has got to the point now where the tv series is no longer the main source material of DW. There are stories now which celebrate the impossibility of fitting so much contradictory stuff into one canon, and the absurdity of even trying to do so.

I think the difference is, in part, that DW had many, many productions teams, and, over the course of its thirty-year history, the tv show contradicted itself more often than not. In Star Wars, of course, there's one guiding influence behind it all - George Lucas. Which means that SW fans can always fall back on the "divine word of GL," to stamp out any arguement, dissent or individual choice. And that's quite depressing in a way. Why *should* I be forced to exclude, say, the Thrawn trilogy? It's a far better story than The Phantom Menace...

SG

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    stephen...That's how me and Valiento see it.

I say it all fits. And if it doesn't, then I'll get Chewbacca to cram it in for me.

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sturm...
    "What I can't understand is why someone would accept Caravan of Courage and not Heir to the Empire"

What I can't accept is whu someone would accept Heir to the Empire and not "The Third Law" (to use but one storyline).

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I know, Genghis. People's dismissal of the Marvel comics gets to me too. The first thing they always say is...( and we always see this at the SWG boards )..."Well, they contradict ESB and ROTJ". The only one that does ( that I can see ) is "Hoth Stuff". Not so much the films of course, but the later stories dealing with Wedge and Janson etc.

Has there ever been a good fix for the Skye story, with Obi-Wan, Anakin *and* Vader? :)

21. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    I'll vote: I try to not let it bother me--too much.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never read any of the Marvel series, but I'd only read the ones that are worth reading.

That said, I would consider most everything canon except the Glove of Vader series. That one really stinks.

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Darth-Sinister...
    "I never read any of the Marvel series, but I'd only read the ones that are worth reading."

You'll find that the Essential Chronology explicitly lists the ones that are worth reading in its bibliography. Essentially, the ones worth reading are only #1-#107 and Annuals #1-#3. The ROTJ adaptation (#1-#4) is good, but is simply another movie adaptation of many movie adaptations.

24. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    Being as this is GL's universe, both in his mind and in copyright, he is the only one I can see who determines what is canon and official and what is not. We can of course make up our own canon, but when it comes down to official continuiy it is GL who determines it.

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Major Klivian...
    "We can of course make up our own canon, but when it comes down to official continuiy it is GL who determines it."

And of course those representatives he authorizes with the authority to do so as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.