main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Falcon's Art--Index Pg.1--Replies and Update [04/05/09]: Darth Caedus... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FalconFan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    You changed his costume ? It looks very much like the one he wears in LotF, so I thought it was...
    That's the one I didn't like :p

I'm afraid I might not have been clear [face_worried] , I DO love the way you drew it... I just can't see Jacen dressing like Vader as soon as he becomes a Sith Lord. Bit of a giveaway... [face_laugh]

I hope I didn't offend [face_worried] It's all amazing !

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think Jacen may be my least favorite character in all of Star Wars, but you captured him so well! If you look into his eyes long enough, he's bound to give you goosebumps. It was very effective to have the majority of the drawing done in graphite and just to have that splash of color in his eyes. It really gives it an eerie feel and you can tell right away that he's not someone to be messed with. I'll even go out on a limb here and say that this particular pose reminds me of one of the publicity photos of Tarkin from ANH. So, I think you captured the whole evil thing very well!

Very professional looking and as always, I love your soft tones and the attention to detail! Nicely done! =D=

3. Saith_Vaapar

Saith_Vaapar Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Ohhhhh ! Everytime I look at it I'm as amazed as the first time. There's so much in it that one can notice something great about it each time he looks at it. I can't stare at it enough.
    You already know what I feel about it but I'm gonna re-post my comment here :

"OMG ! I love it ! I think it is one of your best work (and that's a hard thing to do), and it definitly is my favorite Caedus art (official or not). You've pictured the character so well. I mean it sure looks like the Jacen we saw on canon depictions (especially the japanese ones), but he seems more mature (the lines really work well on his face), more calculating, and somehow very ambiguous. I love his toughful and quite mad expression. The Sith eyes give us a great focal point I think (his stare is the first thing we notice). The chair he's on looks like a trone, is he acting all sith lord on us ? grin
    As always your work has so many details, the shadings is perfect (gives it a dramatical effect), it's really impressive. And great work on the costume. We do recornize the costume from Mara's funerals picture yet you added details to it. "

Really congrats on this, I can't really express with words how much I'm in love with this piece. And I think that everything everyone said about it is right.

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    One always knows when one has done a character properly when there is much controversy over what is done and what becomes of that character.

You did a fabulous job with Caedus, the glove really catches my eyes, after the hair and eyes...stangely in that order. The wristlink and the way the armor is presented helps clarify what it should be in my own drawing(Thinking of scrapping and redoing that one), the chair, what one can see of it gives the wannabe ruler feel to the image. He hasn't earned a personal meditation sphere, or the full blown Emperor ruling capsule, but he has earned his eyes and the sharp points, leaving very few curves or soft spots left in his life. And even those are receded and removed from the drive of his purpose and that which he try's to meld the darkside to create.

Unfortunately he never understood and grasped that no being of flesh and blood and bone can change others, a nation, a world, or a galaxy without in turn changing oneself. Not to mention he missed his target so many times, but never would look deep in the mirror enough to see that it was the arrow or his instruments, target, or the wind of his adversaries that made him miss. It was him and what he was becoming from what he was using.

Just my two very long cents.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's one striking portrait! Very powerful face - I assume you spend a lot of time searching for the right model for a character, going through lots of magazines until you find one with a fitting face and expression - and, imo, it's time well spent.

Your technique is excellent, with the viewer's attention being drawn straight to the portrait's eyes - the coloured eyes are great, but I also notice you've lit his face with a stronger light than anything else in the picture - quite subtle, but effective. I'm also impressed with how you've managed to integrated the armour and clothing with the head you've used, something I've always had trouble with, but you've done it without getting any "floating" effect at all. Very impressive.

It's all beautiful... the eyes, the face, the hair, and, of course, the hand... perfect. Your work is pretty much flawless these days!

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Caedus is breathtaking. He draws me in. Gorgeous.

I don't know how you do it. You are able to capture and translate different textures so smoothly and effortlessly (it looks effortless!). I mean, the way you handle lighting and shadow, it just blows me away. People and objects in your work have weight. They interact with each other in a way that makes them look like they are connected - touching - like his hand on his chin, it looks like his head is resting on it...you know what I'm trying to say? That's not easy to do, but you make it look so natural. You rock!
    And then there's the face and hair. Gah. It's gorgeous. I'm speechless, or wordless, for expressing how much I truly love your style and talent. Another fantastic job!!! [:D]

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Happy Easter Everyone! **passes out the caramel-filled chocolate Easter eggs** I've been gone from home most of the weekend, and it's such a gift to get back, check in on the thread and see that folks are still commenting on this piece--many humble thanks, everyone! [:D]

Kiyuuchan wrote: "You changed his costume ? It looks very much like the one he wears in LotF"

No, I didn't change it--it IS the one he was depicted as wearing on all the book covers (I think the type of cloak/cape I put on him is different, but not much aside of that). I agree with you, though, that it was all a bit too "Vader-ish" (which made it kind of obvious, IMHO). What I meant in my last to you was that Jacen Solo would probably NOT choose to wear Vaderish clothing--that his choice would tend to simpler, more practical things (just as I never thought Mara Jade Skywalker would forever be wearing the black leather catsuit and goggles all her life, either! lol!). I used the familiar book-cover-depicted armoring simply to help identify this as Darth Caedus, so people would have another way besides just my saying so to identify this AS Caedus. I hope that clears up the confusion!

Mme. Moderator/Burdgeoning Sketch Card Artiste--Thank you SO much for weighing in--and most especially since this character never "did" anything for you anyway (that makes it all the more special!)! I'm smiling over your "goosebumps" observation--I was hoping it would have that effect! The eyes really seemed to ask for something to intensify them, somehow (weird, how the muse can goad that way!), and this seemed the best way to go about it...even as "allergic" as I am to color! lol!

I'll even go out on a limb here and say that this particular pose reminds me of one of the publicity photos of Tarkin from ANH.

Ha! Something that never clicked with me until this moment, reading your observation--there WAS a photo of Tarkin, sitting almost like this: kind of glowering, hand to his chin...wow! I never realized I was channeling that until now--I just found the magazine ad photo and squeaked: "Eureka!" and just went from there! [face_laughing] Very cool you remembered that and mentioned it--and I'm so glad it seems to fit for Caedus as well! ;) Thank you so much for taking time to comment! [:D] BTW--can we expect anything new from you any time soon...? **Easter-bunnylet-begging-eyes** ;)

Saith wrote: "I mean it sure looks like the Jacen we saw on canon depictions (especially the japanese ones), but he seems more mature (the lines really work well on his face), more calculating, and somehow very ambiguous. I love his thoughtful and quite mad expression."

Thank you, my friend, so much for re-posting all of this--and yes, there IS a touch of madness, isn't there...? I meant for there to be, as he was slowly sinking into that toward the end--had he continued to live, I'm sure it would have consumed him utterly at some point... You're very kind, and especially with as wonderful as your work with Caedus is, I am very touched by your enthusiasm for this portrait! Thank you!

Mitth_Fisto--Thank you so much for the effusive comments! I'm so glad this seems to fit for you--and I'm going to discourage you from changing your own concept because of this: there is plenty of room for interpretation on costuming/armoring/accoutrements for any character--use your own imagination and creativity to depict the character as YOU envision him. I "borrow" things like costume details simply because I'm no good at inventing my own, lol!--honor your own muse and create according to your own vision (I'll be anxious to see what you come up with! [face_dancing] )--you'll never be sorry! :D

He hasn't earned a personal meditation sphere, or the full blown Emperor ruling capsule, but he has earned his eyes and the sharp points, leaving very few curves or soft spots left in his life. And even those are

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Holy smokes! :eek: That is amazing, FalconFan =D= One of your best yet!

9. DarthBellumSolo

DarthBellumSolo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    FalconFan!

Simply perfectly well! Jacen (mmm...Caedus) such thoughtful... And beautiful. Thanks you big for such works!@};-

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    forgot to drop some words here about this wondeful portrait. Differences aside of how we saw him, that cannot detract from how awesome this art is, dudette. Very lifelike and again, I love his eyes. :)

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow. Amazing work. =D=

12. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Wow :eek: That is exactly how I pictured him. It's like you took it out of my mind. Amazing.

13. SteveS490

SteveS490 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2008
    That IS Darth Caedus. There are so many things to be said about this work of art, how beautiful it is, how real it looks, how powerful the vibes coming from it is. But I just have to say without a doubt THAT IS DARTH CAEDUS, perfectly captured.

14. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    wooooooooo :eek:Your darth caedus is the coolest piece I have ever seen of you .It looks awesome. It is a Caedus that looks his age, his mental state everything - It exactly hits the spot ! it is too good to find any words for it :eek:

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Man...I'm getting so insanely busy with DRL...so sorry everyone, about the long delay in replies! :(

Yoda_Kenobi--Thank you so much for the kind comment--if it fits into your image for Caedus, I'm glad! :D

DarthBellumSolo--Many thanks! I'm glad you like the portrait, and truly appreciate the visit and comments!

Striker wrote: "forgot to drop some words here about this wondeful portrait."

No worries, my friend--I certainly appreciate the added comments, especially as it doesn't really "fit" for you--you're very kind! [:D]

Qui-Gon_Reborn--Thank you so much--I'm glad you like it!

tahiriveilax wrote: "That is exactly how I pictured him. It's like you took it out of my mind."

That's wonderful to hear--artists sometimes get lucky that way: our own vision of a character's appearance actually jives with that of others! Thank you so much for taking time to look and for the comments, too!

SteveS490 wrote: "That IS Darth Caedus."

Thanks so much for that! I'm very glad it seems to fit for you--and I'm delighted to hear that you get "powerful vibes" from it, too--I had hoped to convey that! Thank you again for the visit and kind words!

morrison85 wrote: "It is a Caedus that looks his age, his mental state everything - It exactly hits the spot!"

I'm so happy you think so--I wanted to try to capture his appearance as I read it: still the handsome form that Jacen Solo once was, but with the simmering lust for power and drive that seem to characterize all Sith... Thank you again!

____________________________________________________________________________

I just want to let you all know that I'm probably going to be MIA for a while here--perhaps through mid-June: I have a LOT of things going on in real-life that are now demanding all my time and attention, and I'm just not going to have any free time to call my own for a while. To those that drop in and visit and comment: thank you so very much! To all whose work I love to see and comment on: please accept my apologies for not getting in and doing that--I promise I'll try to get caught up if time ever allows. And to all of you here at TF.N: May The Force Be With You!

Hugs--

FF

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hurry back! [:D] And may the Force be with you.

17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I do know exactly how you feel, dear FF. All the best until we meet again.

[:D]

*has to go to bed now in order to give okay lessons tomorrow and fulfill other teacher working tasks she has on her school, such as administration work*

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Whoa! That is terrifying, FalconFan! Well done! :eek:

19. Shinfei

Shinfei Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2007
    haaaa finaly Darth Caedus:p I love it, particulary his hair and his eyes, so evil[face_skull]

Great Job=D=

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    :eek: You're fantastic artist FalconFan!=D= @};- =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, that is AMAZING!! First of all, you just did a fantastic job drawing and shading. And I love that you had everything in black and white except his eyes. That's an awesome contrast and really makes them pop.

22. Squishy_Vic

Squishy_Vic Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2004
    Amazing Caedus portrait. Simply awesome.

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    *hopes you will be back with new great work and are relaxed then with no RL issues pressing you!*

:*

24. jedipencil

jedipencil Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 1 VIP

Oct 30, 2006
    Absolutely wonderful, touching, and well executed piece!!! (so to speak) This is a lovely portrait. I have no crits.... the light is so nice, form is well done, hair is gorgeous, and expression is perfect. I might have pushed the yellow even more in his eyes, but on the other hand this is so thoughtful as it is. Bravo Falcon!! Love it!! =D= [face_dancing]

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That picture just leaves me speechless. Well done! =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.