main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Fan Film Convention

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by scvp, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Ok, moving this thread from the SCJ Palace Theater BDay Party thread.

I'd like to hold a Star Wars fan film event at the Palace either this Spring or early Fall. Trying to get ideas for shorts to show - especially anything produced in Northeast and recent (but open to classics, rare things, etc). Strawberry mentioned making this the event to vote on the fan films before the awards in Pittsburgh, and that is certainly a good option to consider. Only thing is, we'd really have to haul AND hope the Palace has an open date before 4/28. It may be too close for this year to do...

When is SU out? Any idea? I think around mid May, which means by early May exams start kicking in, so we'd have to roll before then to do this (or wait until the fall).

Other ideas - we could top the event off with one of the Star Wars movies, or the holiday special (I "know" of a different cut of it, with fan shorts in place of some the worst moments of the special).

Would probably do a Sat or Sun thing, 11am-5pm...

-Ron

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Some great ideas!

If having it before SU lets out is the priority then maybe you should see when the Palace has openings and then there'd be a goal date to work towards. Otherwise, I would aim for after they're back in session in September as a goal. That gives plenty of time for gathering fan films, reviewing them (don't want to show anything you have seen just in case there's something inappropriate in it) and advertising the event amongst the local fan clubs and the general population of SW fans that don't belong to any of the organized clubs.

If there are a lot of submissions (10 or more) for the NE FanForce Awards then that would make sense to try to push it before April 28th. If not, then I think we should give this event it's own mission instead of combining it with the Awards Cermony.

Here's my notes from the b-day thread:

~Doc_Bev

3. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Im very relieved to hear that the recent sci fest was nothing like we discussed. It was a little discouraging seeing that literally at the time of discussions. LOL Thanks for not giving up on it :)

Yes SU gets out in may. I thought there was discussion of having open dates in march?

Is that possible? Is the idea of having an after party upstairs still an option?

4. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    if we are going to do March we would have to finalize a list asap - I'll go visit the Palace this week to see what dates are open.

We'd need like 3-4 hours of material I think.

I need at least 3 and ideally 4 weeks to promote. I'm also out of town last weekend of March/very beg of April.

Upstairs is an option for party but there would be a larger price tag with it - I will find out how much. It might be a case where you guys would have to handle this yourselves - I'll handle theater booking at such, but the expense of the upstairs would be beyond my budget for this.

On that note, other fan film events like this, can they charge admission for something like this?

-Ron

5. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    March sounds too soon to me.
    I would shoot for the first weekend in May.

~Doc_Bev

6. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    May is too close to C4 and the college students are nearing the end of the school year for them.

If you need that many hours material we should see if other Fanforce REgions ahve chatpers with fanfilm submissions so we can really get a variety. I will work on that.

Just get back some possible dates and we can go fromt here. If you really want a good local response in march stay away from st pattys weekend LOL

April - alot of us are out of town last weekend in april at a convention.

If you have to stretch till May then I would recommend the first weekend.

7. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    After May 1st, my experience is the SU students are prepping for exams and won't come. Let's shoot for Sept then. Oct, btw, is the b-movie fest, and I will have my hands full for that, so would shoot for 9/7 or 9/14 (nearest weekends) for the fan fest.

Or Nov is an option.

-Ron

8. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    sept we may have a FF event in the works that isnt annouced. um... however I feel sept at this point would be the best option if you cant do march :(

9. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    3-4 hours of material would be easy, unless submissions are being limited to FanForce chapters in the NE Region.

And, no I don't think you can charge admission to view fan films.

~Doc_Bev

10. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    As I posted before I dont think we are limiting it to the NE.

Im not 100% sure about charging either, thats something to look into definitely.

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I guess I was more so asking if it was limited to FanForce members.
    I don't think any of the ones I already have on DVD are by FanForce members for example.

~Doc_Bev

12. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    no of course I wouldnt limit it to FF at all. LOL
    My original discussion we had at after the Bday party was havign a mix of fanfilms with the FF ones. the ones in the NE would be voted on for the awards there. The winner would be announced at the FF awards.
    Obviously we are not going to meet the deadline for this years awards. But definitely something to plan for next year as far as that part of it goes.

I think anyone who wants to show their fanfilm at this fest should be alllowed to by all means :)

13. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    The Palace is VERY expensive (not to mention advertising). I'd need to somehow cover the costs. Maybe if I turned it into some kind of sci-fi con, with guests in the lobby, like the filmmakers or a Star Wars actor, then make the fan films a (free) part of the event in a sense, then I can charge admission. I wouldn't be able to pull it off out of pocket.

I am at the Palace tonight for an event and will check the calendar. I think Fall makes the most sense now, so will check Sept and Nov dates.

-Ron

14. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I have to agree on that one

15. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Sept and Nov weekends are basically pretty open at the Palace right - but they will fill fast. Oct, for example, is full!

I'll start looking at guest ideas asap.

Any suggestions, send my way!

-Ron

16. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Here's the celebs I got from one contact - I asked for Star Wars but he gave me more Sci-Fi (probably because he lacked SW celebs):

DIRK BENEDICT
    RENE AUBERJONOIS
    JONATHAN FRAKES
    PATRICK STEWART
    DAVID PROWSE
    BRENT SPINNER

They range from $6k (Prowse)-$35k (Stewart), so not a cheap bunch at all.

I'll continue to break down budgets and stuff to see what can be done. I have considered the options of showing SW and nonSW fan films (like the ST shorts, etc).

-Ron

17. tomd

tomd Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2007
    a sci-fi con is good idea as syrcuse use to be one of the big towns for cons back in the late 80's and erly 90's but celebs cost a lot more now and star wars geust cost a lot and almost all live in england but thair a lot of star wars guest out thair that where just in a cutom in the backgund but most fans i think rather met someone that had a major role over some one who was just a background extra. You can go to www.wattographs.com thay can but you in tuoch with over 75 sw celebs most of witch live in europ and must also pay for travel

as far as star trek celebs go some may be cheaper as almost all live in the US but the captians thay cost a lot maybe someone from a later series like deep space 9 , Voyager and Enterprise you can rech almost all form thair personal web pages

18. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    thanks, I will look into this. I had another new lead/idea today I will be exploring too...

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Welcome to the FanForce boards tomd!

~Doc_Bev

20. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    welcome! does this mean we can play pur fanfilm there now?
    *giggles*

21. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I know of a film from The North Ridge that you could show.;)

22. scvp

scvp Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    keep them coming, I have a friend working on a SW inspired short as well. I'm still considering this, tho I have been quiet here lately. Also look for my post on a possible SW showing...

23. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I sent you an email ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.