main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Fan Force Chapter Open Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sereana_Nightstar, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    It seems that fans are not happy with how the chapter is organized at this time. Since the chapter is made up of fans that participate....and this is supposed to be democracy based...everyone has the chance to voice their say on Oct. 8th at the open meeting. I will be presiding over the meet and each particant will have an equal amount of time to have the floor.

Please write down what you feel the problems are and a reasonable solution...please keep points simple and a truely rational solution to the problems you see.

I do want to point out that previously a more structured format was used and was unsuccessfull. According to fans that participated, they wanted a more loose format so that members could just enjoy doing workshops, planning and going to events together and have fun with Star Wars and other sci fi fans.

This led to a handful of fans taking care of all the obligations of keeping the chapter going. This is alot of work, time and expense. So please really think about what you will be presenting to the other members.

Yes, this is like having an arbitration...but it needs to be done. There will be elections coming and all positions will be open for nominations...anyone who wants to be nominated needs to voice their interest in the position/positions they want to be nominated for. There will be a period of discussion and then elections. Positions that are not challenged will remain with the current person continuing...unless that person wishes to step down.

I am hoping that this will be a productive discussion group on Oct. 8th and am setting up a Yahoo, closed chat room. You can do with it what you want...I do not feel that posting on the TFN appropriate and the chapter will no longer exist according to the staff and moderators.
    Please remember what you say now will only cause more hurt and bad feelings in the future. We have all said things in the past and have probably done things we regret....so let's try to get this group on an even keel and have some good times with friends.

I would like everyone to please PM or emal me with their opinion. I will also be setting up the yahoo private chat and I will moderating it for ideas. You will need to identify yourself by name or screen name.

Thanks and I hope to see all of you on Oct. 8th.

2. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    At this point, i dont know if the Tampa bay fanforce is meant to be. Since the days of Ron, we've always had issues with "authority" who gets this position or that, and so on. I really dont know why. At this point its time for a *DISCLAIMER*

Im a "non active member" at this point, havnt been active for 4 months, so my say doesnt count. However, I am known to be outspoken so i will have my say regardless. *END DISCLAIMER*

this is a FAN GROUP. We are a group of people who love star wars, and hang out ONCE A FREAKING MONTH (if that) to be around other people who understand, and even participate in our obsession for Star Wars. We all have busy lives, and in todays modern world, "free time", truly is a LIMITED RESOURCE. Now My question, is this:

Why do we even need a President, or a treasurer, or ANY of this stuff. I dont come to meetings, spending my limited free time, to be restricted by guidelines, and whos in charge of this or that. One of the things ive always hated, since my first meeting years ago, was the "meeting structure". Taking down minutes of a meeting, and so on.

When I come to a meeting, it is for these purposes.

1) to meet new people, fellow fans, and hang out with old friends etc.
    2) discuss collecting or whatever other SW related pastimes i wish to discuss.
    3) see Ross's badass customs (that he should make into a business because he's so damn good at it.)
    4) have a good time.

it is NOT, to sign a membership statement. It is NOT, to follow rules and guidelines. It is NOT to whine and complain about another group of fans. Face it, we're all mature adults, and if someone gets out of line, one of us will usually say something. We dont need rules to govern our behavior. Rules work for Fortune 500 companies. For fangroups, they just piss people off and drive members away. I know most of you pretty well, and we are not a rowdy group of teenagers that needs chaperones or a rules structure. If i wanted to spend my free time folowing rules and being all tight-assed about everything, i would just stay an extra day at work.

Now i dont have all of the story, but I am hearing things that sound EXACTLY like when Ron ran the group 2 years ago. New members coming one time and leaving unhappy. Is this true? If so, i say the Tampa FF is a group doomed to failure.

I'll close with this: If we want the fanforce to continue, we need to do away with positions entirely, and just focus on the basics: Fellow fans hanging out, discussing SW and watching movies. If i want politics, I'll watch C-span. If I want fighting, I'll watch Jerry Springer.
    If I want both, I'll just start a political discussion with Kris (xyber hex)

I want Star wars fandom, and shouldnt that be enough to base a group on?

Rant over, continuing onward.

Edit x2 I cant spell. Forgive my ignorance.

3. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Your opinion does count Jace! and I beleive you have the idea of a grass roots group.

4. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    What time and place on the 8th? LMK -jace

5. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    I am looking at Beef's if I can get it, time 2 pm.

6. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    I cant make it until maybe 6 on the 8th, but please dont change the time on my account. I rarely ever attend meetings anymore, so my opinion really shouldnt count. Besides, if anyone wants to know my thoughts, they can read 4 posts above :)

onward!

7. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    That's ok and others can post too.

8. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
  9. codemaker

codemaker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2003
    Jace hit it right on the nail. When I was down there in May at Maria's house for a meeting, I heard 1 voice the entire time, and I said to myself "here we go again". One person should not run the entire show. With a group the size of Tampa's, it should be less formal and more open discussion friendly, rather than the same mouth trying to run the whole meeting. Obviously it's not working and changes need to be made in order to preserve the group. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

10. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    Yes yes kiddies, it is time for Tampa Docking Bay 1138's very own black sheep to give his insight from the book of Hex.

We are not some starship in space, we are not some elite fighting group in some futristic military, hell I do not think we are even allowed outside if the street lights are on.
    We are a group of like minded people, with common interests, who enjoy spending time hanging out with each other and discussing this and that.
    Some like dressing up, others like collecting, some just like to drink....(well I have to fit in somewhere right?).

A little structure is a good thing, too much is called a cage.
    If egos need to be fluffed or something I am sure we can make some little hats or something that say 'special' or 'important' on them.
    All through out this group from when I first started watching it, until I finally came out of the shadows, even until now and this is the case in many groups online and offline, people come and always think things can be better, bigger, and then they go.
    Longevity is the key and something must be right if people keep coming and the web still grows.
    There is always room for input, and improvement , denying that is vanity.
    Hmm I will continue this later.

11. HippieTrooper

HippieTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    When something stops being fun, its not worth doing anymore. Many people quit having fun some time ago. Thats why they quit showing up. That is why change is needed.
    Later

12. TK-3150

TK-3150 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2005
    I, for one, am all for just casually hanging out.....that being said, there does need to be some structure if the group wants to move from "hanging out" into "doing events" and "getting the groups name out there". Personally, organizations that I have been involved with in the past always seemed to work better when there was a goup consensus on everything and a nonpartial chairperson that had no vote or opinion except in the case of a tiebreaker. That way there was no control issues. But hey, I would rather just hang out with ya'll rather than trying to organize a bunch of events on top of all the other events I already do with the 501st, my band, work, church, parenting, etc.

13. LukeCeremonial22569

LukeCeremonial22569 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 2002
    We have not had a chnace to have fun since the movie premire. When things come up or ideas are brought up for things to do, people say yeah that would be cool and then those same people back out a week before or at the last minute do to plans with another group. Wonder why that is?

PS. more to come later on this subject.

14. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    I understand that the Yahoo groups room is now showing up.. TDB1138 under Yahoo groups. This way you can say what you want without all of us being banned.!

15. HippieTrooper

Aug 31, 2005
    If you are reffering to the DVD/game release, we all already told you that our plans with the 501st and Rebel Legion were made since before Dragon-con.
    Like I said before, this is supposed to be fun, the minute it starts to feel like you "have" to chose between groups, it is no longer fun and not worth doing anymore. Everyone has the right to choose to do whatever event they feel like with their own time without having to explain themselves to certain people. That is why less and less people show up every month to meetings and events.
    And the coin goes both ways, I have tried from the begining to make ALL groups act as one, but what happened last month at the toy con? I invited this group to it, but it was run by the 501st and no one from here, even those who said they were coming (names withheld, you know who you are), ever showed up.
    Its real easy to say "501st and RL wont help us with our events and dont show up" but it seems to be really hard to admit "I didnt go to their event" even after you said you would.
    We are just beating a dead horse here so Ill quit now.
    Later

16. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    i typed up another long winded reply, but after re-reading it i'll just say this:

So long, fanforce! (again)

17. Hopkins9482

Hopkins9482 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Please let me know when the bickering ceases...those of you who really care know how to get a hold of me and till then, have fun.

18. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    what if I change this event to sunday, would people be happy then?

the date is not set in stone yet with the store it can be changed if poeple will come on sunday I can make it sunday?

19. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Previous post was supposed to be Luke Ceremonials.
    Forgive the confusion.

20. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Now this is my actual post.

I have participated in many fan groups over the past 11 plus years. This problem ALWAYS rears it's ugly head.

First, we must remember that STAR WARS is a fantasy UNIVERSE...not the real world even if occationally it does mirror it. Politics is not really something that should be played here. Second, we are a DIVERSE group with ONLY ONE basic tie, we love playing STAR WARS in our freee time. WE all part company on many roads beyond that basic interest so we can't please all of the people with all of our actions, but rather should be tolerant within reason to our differences.

This is our playtime. WE need to keep it light and not take ourselves so damn seriously. There are issues which we can address on a more serious level, but this does NOT have to be the place. Charitable contributions of time, money and effort should be left to the groups who have that as one of their main functions, ie 501st, Rebel Legion, The American Red Cross, etc... The FANFORCE is playtime and the sooner we stop trying to make it OUR JOB and OUR IDENTITY, the sooner we can get back to having a good time with our similar interest.

Personaly, if I want to do something charitable, I would like it to be out of the goodness of my heart, not because it was mandated by an organization I participate in. I would like to do charitable functions, but let the other organizations organize them, spend their money, time and energy while I come to lend my support when I can. I like to do public appearances to raise awareness of a cause or raise money for it. I like to help carry banners or help get the word out by participating. That is the extent of my desired involvment in community events.

My whole reason for being in a fan club is to make friends with other fans, play fantatsy games, dress as a character, entertain folks with my fun, get out of the house and see things that interest me in reguards to SCI-FI. Nothing more, nothing less. I never had a desire to hold an office or direct the chapter only to help it continue and to have some fun doing it. If I have done anything political, or stepped on anyone's toes or taken myself far too seriously, I do sincerely apologize. But I have tried to play fair, be productive, and have fun. I have not tried to do that at anyone else's expense and apologize if it has ever appeared that way. I do feel I have much to contribute to continuing the chapter, and will continue to do my best to do what I can to keep things on the high road side.

My interest in fandom is as follows:
    I love costuming, movies, LARPing, reading, going to conventions, meeting celebrities and entertaining the mundanes with my passion for SCI-FI. I have a small collection of toys, books and working on enlarging my artwork of same genre. My closet is full of costumes and I sell a few to the public. Other than that, I have no political aspirations or desire for leadership postions.

Nuff said...

21. HippieTrooper

Aug 31, 2005
    S P A F O S
    Later

22. Ravenjack

Ravenjack Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2005
    Sunday would be better for me

23. Jedijace007

Oct 3, 2002
    ditto, sunday for me also.

24. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Is this day change for the TRU DVD release or for the thread of the open meeting?

As it stands now the open meeting will be at a public venue instead of my apt. I am unable to secure anyplace for the 8th. I can secure Beef O' Bradys for Sun. the 16th. This is located in the Tri City Plaza next to Public's in Largo, down the street from my apt. I need to hear from everyone who is planning on attending as I Beef's now is following other establishments and requires a deposit for the back meeting room. Please let me know ASAP.
    Thank you

25. I_heart_Fetts

I_heart_Fetts Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2005
    Either day is fine for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.