main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fanfic/Fanart ideas -- we have replies from the indexes !! ^^

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kiyuuchan, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    Call me crazy, but earlier I PMed several fanfic indexes on the subject of putting a fanart section in the index.
    This came from an idea I had for a while about getting more exposure to the forum and our wonderful artists >
    basically with loads of people visiting the fanfic indexes they would be able to veiw our fan art there and links to our threads.

So... no replies yet since I've just sent out the PMs, though I definitely know of one index tha will let us have a fanart section.

I started this thread to keep everyone updated on which indexes allow fanarts, and if U want yours submitted, to reply here :) I'm really excited to get this going !

Indexes I PMed

Anakin/Padme
    Jacen/Tenel Ka
    Luke/Mara
    Han/Leia
    Siri/Obi-Wan
    Anakin/Tahiri
    Young Jedi Knights
    Monday Mush Mania

I think that's it

The Jaina/Jag index already allows fanart but I'm asking the Jag Fel fanclub to put a section up too
    And the Ben Skywalker index also has a fanart section

So, I'll let everyone know when the replies come in. What d'you think about it ?

Han, feel free to lock or move this if its in the wrong place :)

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great idea for a thread!

So, basically what this will be doing is incorporating fan art links into the different fan fic indexes? Sort of like a mini fan art museum in fan fic? If things work out, perhaps the folks involved with the different indexes could also request pieces of art of their favorite couples. There's so many possibilities and I can see this really turning into something great. It would also help with fan art/fan fic relations.

On that note, I have plenty of Han/Leia pieces that I could submit to their index. And I'll have plenty more in the works. ;)

3. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Yep, that's how I'd like it to work ^___^
    This is mostly a fanfic board, at least that's why people visit the most and how I got here. I think if art and fics are in the same place it would make sense, they're both creative outlets.

Actually I was wondering if it would be asking someone higher up if they would consider moving the fan art forum (this section) from where it is now
    Jedi Council Forums> Fan Activities > Fanart
    to
    Jedi Council Forums> Fan Fiction> Fanart

fanart and fanfic often overlap, and a lot of people draw and write... just seems to me if it was in a much more popular area of the boards we could get this place booming.

I have no idea who to ask... or why they would listen to me ;) Would U mind asking, if there is a chance they might say yes ?

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    [:D]

You are full of good ideas, Kiyuuchan. Let us know how things will come out.

:D

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree that fan fic and fan art often go hand in hand. There's always usually a fan art section on fan fic sites and writers love to have their stories illustrated.

I could see some sort of thread in Resource for fan art, but I'm not sure how far that would actually go. I have a feeling it might sink rather quickly.

With that in mind, I can go ahead and talk to the powers that be and see what they think of the idea. I can't really guarantee anything either way, but at least we would've gotten the idea out there.

BTW, did you hear anything back yet?

6. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    [face_praying]

I hope things can get arranged.

[face_batting]

7. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Oh yes ! Thanks Han [:D] Maybe they'll consider it. Maybe the powers that be would agree to it on a trial basis ? I don't know how difficult it would be to set that up, so I'm not sure how much I'm asking for

A thread in resource would be a good idea, it would probably be a better place for the request thread. I can see it sinking too, but if it was a sticky fan art request thread, that might work.

I haven't got any pms back, though I didn't expect any for a bit since I guess no one checks the index socks as much as their own names. I could pm the people who own the sock, or post in the thread...
    I'm happy to wait at the moment, if it gets to 2 weeks and no reply I'll do something else ;)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, the Jaina/Jag index has had a fairly big fan art section for years :) And people tend not to check sock often, so PMing the owners would be faster.

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks. Good to know.

10. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Well, nothing back yet :( I'm an impatient person :p

So, I'll do as Nat suggested and PM socks owners. Some don't have owners listed, like Han/Leia, but the thread is posted in regularly, so I'll post the request there. Do people mind if I use some of their art to excite people, question to mainly HanSolo29 and Azure cuz I know you've done Han/Leia stuff, anyone else of course most welcome [:D]

I'm also going to start a thread in the request forum .... and see what happens... I'll let you know if it gets a good response. I'm also letting fanficcers know about the idea to add fanart to the fanfiction sections (by the way, did u get a chance to bring that up yet Han? ^___^) Imagine an army of fanficcers on our side :p .... well, not quite like that, but the more people say yes, the better ^___^

Ok that's it for now ^^

11. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    I just posted the thread in resource
    I'm so nervous !!!!

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Great news! Keep us posted on how that goes! :)

You're more than welcomed to use my work to recruit people. I take it this will be for the Han/Leia index?

I left a note with the fan fic mods a couple days ago. As of right now, I'm still waiting to hear back from them. As soon as I do, I'll let you know.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/art/anipaint2.jpg]

Old picture of a piece I did a while back - started doing other works instead of Star Wars but I thought I'd throw this idea out for you guys...

A lot of people have veered into Original characters (I myself have three generations worth!) and would LOVE to see how the written word comes across...

In some cases, we have 'real' people they are based off of (for example, I've used Judson Scott as a basis for one of mine) and in others, we just have a rough idea...

Anyone want to pick up on this?

14. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    The resource thread has gone VERY well ! ^___^ I'm so pleased.
    Also thanks Han for mentioning to the mods, I had a reply from Jedi_Trace that said they were "ironing out the details".
    So it's sounding like it's being considered ^___^ Wooooooooohoooooooo [face_dancing]

Something else a lot of fanficcers are saying, the fanfiction cover artists have seemed to disappear, and the request thread is in a pretty bad state :( The main response I got was we needed better communication between artists and writers... how to do that I'm still thinking. Although if fanfic and fanart are under the same category, it shouldn't be too hard.

Cover art We've got more requests for cover art on a large scale, I just told people to find an artist they like and contact them directly? Is that ok? It's just the fanficcers are sort of upset about not getting a response (not blaming us, but it's true), so I said if they pmed artists they would most likely get one, yes or no :)

DarthBreezy
    Lovely picture ^___^ And yes lots of people are doing original characters. It would be nice if we could set up a little adoption scheme, where ficcers and artists can swap ocs for inspiration. Any thoughts?

15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I am pleased that you took on this subject, luv, and try so hard to achieve things here. I already got contacted by somebody I knew from the Newbie Party mostly if I could paint s.th. for his fanfic.

Only twice I developed a story first and developed paintings for it.

Normally I just do fanart for myself and suddenly stories spring into my mind.

So if there is a place, where all of those story and the stories that are still to come can exist, then let me know... and please give me a link, luv.

16. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Thank you - I gave teh original to a very dear freind...

Yes, I think you'll need to 'reign it in' fairly quickly otherwise you'll be overwhelmed with request to read epic fics (You think Artist are bad? writers are REALLY feedback junkies! :p)

MY suggestion is that people can post exerts from stories, all in one thread (the fan fiction awards have a traditional limit of 900-1000 words including authors notes) and links. You may want to put a limit on the number of works/characters that can be requested at once.

I would pick 3 'authors' at a time to highlight, ask for an exert and a VERY BRIEF description.

For example, I have a short story which encapsulates a moment in my 'universe'.

"Love as Hard as Nails" (In this case, link is in my sig)

Characters:

Luke Skywalker (10 years post ROTJ - needs no description really),

Aube 'Nails' Canaille Skywalker, Luke's wife. She is a former member of the Rebellion and fellow Pilot, as well as Luke's 'Jedi student'. She is Corellian with short dark curly hair, brown eyes and reminiscent of a curvy, taller Audrey Hepburn. At this point, she is about 5 months pregnant with their 'second' child.

Pemberian Skywalker, their daughter. She is nine standard years old with long curly brown hair. But for her eyes (which are unmistakably Luke's) she looks like her mother.

(links to other stories, other author's important notes here)

Requests:

Would love to see a 'family portrait', especially done as 'realistic', but am interested in any style.

Boom. That's it. Clean and simple and hopefully enough to capture some interest....

(BTW... if anyone IS interested... [face_whistling] :p )

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The request thread is quite a mess. I just stopped updating it for the past couple of months because it got to be too much and I was playing around with different ideas on how to improve it. Since most of the requests are fan fic related anyway, I think it might be a good idea to start fresh with one just for fan fic request and then have another for RPG characters if that is popular enough.

However, I do like the idea of maybe working something out with the fan fic folk to have a request thread that will expand across both of our forums. It will be for spot illustrations, covers and anything else that the authors would like to see.

Glad to hear it! I'm gonna go ahead and pop my head into the thread and post some of my thoughts on the subject. :)

It would help to have both of us under the same category, definitely. And if the change does take place, purpose using the Resource thread to have Fan Art topics as well (request threads, cover art, list of artists, etc). Even if we don't get moved into that category, we can still have those things going on.

Also, on the topic of cover artists: I think the big problem may be a lack of communication. I know I'm eager and willing to do cover art but nothing has come my way. Where do artists go to get involved? Should we create a place for them to get involved? I think if we start some threads in Resource, this may help in solving the problem.

I also saw that the artist mailing list has been mentioned as well. I have signed up for that over a year ago and I have no received one e-mail for cover art. Perhaps the mailing list isn't working?

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see this up and running and also in resource.

have PM-ed Jacen and got a request to do some pictures for him.

And for OC's One I had painted first before making a story about him

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/kaagison4.jpg]

(the little young boy) and recently I have painted the father with the boy Marhin as a baby.

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/kaagi10b.jpg]

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I also find your efford here amazing, folks! :D

20. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Earlybird So good of you to take on requests ^___^

Darth_Breezy Thanks for contributing your great idea

Han We couldn't do anything without you ! [:D] Thanks for being such an awesome and caring mod ! [face_love]

I just looked in the resource thread *weeps with joy* I never thought it would really take off like that. Thank you EVERYONE for your support and ideas [:D]

I took tahiriveilax's request :)

21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    And I also took on a PM request from somebody, last week already. More is revealed soon!

:D

22. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Thanks Azure [:D]

If you're after more veiws, try posting in fan clubs in the EU community section. That's how I got some more fans, by posting art in the Princess Allans fanclub ^____^

I know I'm supposed to be posting some of our art around the index threads, it just takes a long time to upload the images to my hardrive, then imageshack. It seems my computer has had enough and is crashing anyway :( I promise I'll get it done next week.

I checked the pms I sent out and none have been read T__T... guess it's true people don't check socks.
    Big hugs to all visiting the thread in resource... I can't believe it's still there on page 1!

Han, I had no idea you were interested in cover art. That would be interesting to have hand drawn covers since everyone thinks cover=photomanips. I'm doing a hand drawn cover for a fanfic. Maybe I'm biased as I prefer drawings ^^

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, I'm very pleased with the feedback we've received so far! Now we just need to push this into a more official capacity and setup some kind of network between our two forums. I wish we could hear more from the fan fic mods on this, but I suppose they're busy keeping up with their forums. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back.

I've always been into the cover art thing. A great cover usually draws in the readers and I used to sit here and go through the fan fic index just to look at them. And of course, my favorites have always been the hand-drawn ones, so I'm determined to continue that legacy. I'm working on a few requests now for cover art and spot illustrations for a couple stories, so we'll see how that goes. :)

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Honestly, I don't think that 'Cover art' needs to be the focus, after all, there are far more stories/authors that don't 'do' the archives, and maybe it won't necessarily be the 'cover' idea that captures an artist imagination.

In fan fiction, it's always been a case of if you want 'feed back' the best way is to participate' - so this means fan artist need to also dive into stories and interact with the community.

Rest assured, you'll see a lot of 'cross posting' if you do it, and things will take care of itself.

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Definitely! I was just expressing my own personal tastes and why I'm interested in doing cover art. :)

In terms of participating in the stories, I think we have quite a few artists doing that already. I used to post quite a bit, but slacked off lately, but I still lurk. From going in there every once and a while, I notice a couple artists participating or even writing their own stories, which is great! But yes, I can definitely see the benefits of this and how cross-posting between our communities would start to develop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.