main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Found some great Clone Wars tie-in at Chapters. The Clone Wars Visual Guide is a great looking book - and at just $22, is a pretty good price too. BE WARNED: If you don't want to know about the upcoming movie, don't flip thru it yet. I made the mistake of doing that and it kinda ruined a scene I didn't know about - but at the same time, makes me ache with NEED to see in on the big screen!!!

Also picked up a couple of kids books too - The New Padawan (Ahsoka focused, obviously), and the book adaptation of the movie. Certainly geared towards the younger fans, but has fantastic pics. Great way to hook the younglings in!!

2. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Was the movie book the one by Traviss?.

3. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    No - that one wasn't available in-store when I asked about it.

4. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Just picked up the Karen Travis novelization of CLONE WARS at Costco for $12.99 (hardcover). I was at the south location - they had about 50 left.

5. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I finished the Clone Wars novel the other day. While Karen Traviss is not one of my favourite authors, I did find this book one of her better offerings.

My only gripe is that she spends too much time on describing battles and what the troops are thinking, and skips out on the rest of the characters. She did spend some quality time on Anakin's character (which was great!), but I think that's only because he's the leader of the 501st (obviously her favourite division/battalion/group/squad??). She all but ignored Kenobi, Ahsoka and the others. Seeing as how many of the clones adopt the behaviours and characteristics of their Jedi Generals, I think Traviss could've spent more time expanding on those Generals and the relationships with their troops.. Here's hoping further books will capitalize on that :)

Clone Wars has definitely broadened my respect and understanding of the troops that fought for the Jedi and the Republic. I very much enjoyed reading about their comraderie, dedication and fierceness.

6. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Well Traviss tends to gravitate more toward the clone troopers anyway; she has a real appreciation of them from her works in the Republic Commando series, so it's natural she'd gravitate more toward them in the adaptation.

I will say however that I was pleasantly surprised by her handling of the Jedi Knights in the book as well as Palpatine. Her insights into Anakin's motivations and how he deals with the dark and violent things he does in the name of the 'greater good' were very telling. And Palpatine shows us just how much he owns the whole show, playing both sides against the middle and actually finding himself rooting a bit for both. . .

Entertaining stuff, well worth checking out. 4/5 from me.

~StacyD

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    [deleted reference to American Gods]

I went back and re-read the board. Looks like we officially dropped "American Gods" around C4 time.

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Yes - we decided a while back that the FF bookclub would actually focus on Star Wars books, instead of general fiction. What can I say? We love STAR WARS!!

However, if you'd like to start up a non-SW book club, please feel free :)

9. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    2 more books to go before I will start Clone Wars. I just finished Fury and all I can say was Wow. It was a great book. I loved the end when the Jedi sneak aboard the Anikin Solo and fool Jacen into thinking they are there to confront him While Leia sneaks around and rescues his daughter. I would have hated to be a trooper on that ship after the Jedi got away. Jacen would have been pissed off to no end. And Ceterpoint Station destroying itself. Just awesome. Now for the biggest book of the series Revelation. I can just imagine how slow a read this is going to be. I don't want Boba to be an old fart in this book with all his problems. But I know it's going to happen.

10. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    I've been toying with the notion of maybe alternating between a SW-book and a Non-SW book for each month and then talking about it on the forums or via a get-together.

~StacyD

11. Obi_Wan_Cody

Obi_Wan_Cody Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2007
    I just finished reading Jedi Twilight. I have to say it was a lot better than the medistar books. I really enjoyed the ending and am looking forward to the next chapter. Now onto Clone Wars. I'm about 35 pages in and so far I love it. It's different enough to keep me interested but it still has the movie feel. We'll have to see how it turns out.

12. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Finished Jedi Twilight and have to say was surprised by it as I was not sure what to expect from the announcement of the Jedi P.I.. But have to say pretty good read loads of action, some character's I wasen't expecting to show up did, setting was good months after 66, and of course it had Vader. Overall a good solid read and worth checking out book 2 comes out tomorrow so make sure to pick it up.

Should be done Clone Wars this week too then going back to finish up some books I put on hold (Death Star, Cloak of Deception, and maybe Alliegence).

13. Texanadian

Texanadian Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2008
    Just finished Clone Wars and I have to say it was a good read

After I finish up Spectres of the Past and Visions of the Future Im gonna go track down the Republic Commando books

14. Tionne_Calgary

Tionne_Calgary Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2008
    The Republic Commando books are awesome! I am reading my way through the expanded universe and have just discovered the Dark Horse future series Legacy, Shards, etc and wondered if anyone has read that and how it compares with other Dark Horse collections?

15. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Finished the second book in the Coruscant Nights series a few weeks back. Pretty good. Although I'm still not sure why Vader is looking for Jax...?? Also, I think they should've taken more time in making Vader - well, Vader. This series takes place months after Order 66, so Vader would still be coming into his own. In the series, he's automatically Vader of the classic trilogy - it should take more than a few months for him to adjust to his environment and cement his 'new' personality I would think.

Also, the new Star Wars enclycopedia is due out December 8th:

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=SWRHBCSWE&rid=SWFEATURE40

Looks pretty sweet!

16. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Millenium Falcon came out this past Tuesday - how did I miss this?:confused: Taking place 2 years after the Legacy series, this one should be interesting...

17. nobodyfresh

nobodyfresh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Although it does take place a couple years after Legacy it starts out at the start of ROTS only read a couple chapters good so far.

18. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Picked up my copy of Luke Skywalker: The Shadows of Mindor today (was supposed to be released on Tuesday, Dec 30th). Chapters has their copies out early and they have 30% off all hardcovers - go get yours!;)

19. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    I just finished it. I'll put in a more succinct review later; for now though rest assured it gets my patented seal of approval. :cool:

~StacyD

20. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Ahhhh............dang! I missed this!!! :mad:

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Wild Space

Admittedly, when I first saw this book, I just glanced at it and thought, 'geez, another book about Clones' and just kept walking. Probably because the cover just has Rex and a plethora of Clones on it. The Clone Wars series has definitely heightened my respect for these faceless warriors but really, it's no secret, I LOVE JEDI.

After Christmas, I was perusing Chapters, and came across the book again. This time I actually picked it up and started to read the first few pages. WOW. I mean, WOW. After reading a couple of pages I had to have it.

PLEASE READ THIS BOOK.
    It's absolutely amazing - one of the best EU books I've read. Based on the look and design of it, it looks like a kids book. But it is NOT. The opening chapters pick up right after the Battle of Geonosis, where Yoda and Mace Windu are watching the Clones pick up the bodies of Jedi that were slaughtered in the battle. And they're shaken. Really shaken by the turn of events. Anakin and Obi Wan have been transported to Coruscant to receive medical attention and the Jedi are worried. Seriously worried about the Chosen One - and his maiming. What will it do to him? Can he overcome it? Will he lose his power??
    Then the story jumps 7 weeks ahead to after the Battle of Christophsis. Anakin's given his first command and is headed off to protect Bothwaui from being captured (in the animated series - see Downfall of a Droid). Obi Wan is still recuperating from injuries sustained in a Separatist attack on Coruscant. Bail Organa receives some information that is vital to the Jedi Order but doesn't feel capable of approaching them because he doesn't know any Jedi - he goes to Padme instead. Padme contacts Obi Wan and he meets Bail. He and Bail don't see eye to eye but decide they must investigate this threat. Needless to say, Obi Wan goes to hell and back - but in the end, he and Bail form a steadfast friendship and mutual respect for one another.

The conversations between Obi Wan and Bail, about politics and the Jedi Order are facinating. The character development of Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, Mace, Bail, Palpatine and even Padme are incredibly insightful. I really liked Karen Miller's writing style -simple yet poignant. And it was great to have the story woven inbetween episodes of the current animated series. When we were wondering 'where is Obi Wan??' during some of the CW episodes, after reading this book, you'll know why he was absent [face_mischief] While the animated series is sometimes a rather light-hearted view of the war, this book delves into the deeper problems encountered by the Jedi, the government, politicians, and everyone involved. Palpatine is sinister, evil and totally in control. He is THE baddest mofo in the galaxy.

Karen Miller - I'm sorry I misjudged you. MORE PLEASE! And I'm happy to report that it will be a 5 book series (thanks for the heads up, Dooks ;) ).

22. Tionne_Calgary

Aug 17, 2008
    If you guys have someone leave the book club I'd love to join... I have just taken a two month hiatus from the expanded universe as a result of a terrible book by Sean Williams, but Karen Traviss and Order 66 brought me back. L.

23. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Hi Tionne,
    no one has to leave the book club in order for you to join. All are welcome! The club doesn't have regular meetings, and there's no set agenda. Those of us who read the books generally talk about them here on the boards, or at our monthly meetings.

So come on out!

24. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Posted the years release schedule on the cantina boards so check it out as it's going to be a big year in the expanded universe.

25. Tionne_Calgary

Aug 17, 2008
    Great! I will get back to reading and checking these boards... T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.