main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Favourite Moments In RPGs

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    This is a random question that came to mind this morning:

In all the games you've seen, what was your favourite moment?

'Moment' can mean anything - a scene, an event, a storyline, whatever you like. It doesn't have to have happened to you, or in a game you were in; it just has to be your favourite. (Or favourites, if you can't decide.) I'm curious about what sticks out in people's minds: the truly memorable moments that you remember, maybe even years after the fact.

What happened? Why is it your favourite? What is it about that moment that makes it stand out? Tell us everything!

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It's hard to think of a favorite event in a game, but I definitely remember the launching and events leading up to the launch of the NSWRPF being extremely exciting. All of the potential ideas and games that were being thought up, it was sort of a new frontier for us and opened the doors to an explosion of creativity. I think my first game was a short lived Justice League RPG. Those were good times.

3. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I fought a giant robot in Xavier's as a samurai. Aka best experience I have had as a RPer.

As for a feeling, I remember when people were just dropping game after game in the NSWRPF. It was a ridiculously fun era.

-b

4. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    So limiting this to these boards, I´d say we got a clear winner in the NSWRPF here. While I largely enjoyed all of ABYverse and especially some of the storylines I think there is nothing quite like:

The Sins of the Saints

The whole damned thing. Just sitting there and see Nepal, Corben´s Inn, Boston Hospital and the oh so familiar Hamburg take shape, connect, drift away from each other and slowly, slowly building up a feel of dread and mystery that seemed to go deeper with every month. I think Thomas killing Laura would be my favourite of favourites. That and Lilith and Rufus finally ending up in bed. No, between those I cannot decide. The whole Corben´s Inn was ne cauldron of brilliant players doing there thing. A man with a shotgun became so much more profound as a danger as a threat for the world. I knew what was coming and then every day something else came . . . which was better.

5. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    If i had to choose one it would be changing an ill fated genre in the NSWRPF. There really hasn't been any anime rpg's that were successful. Until I made Way of the Ninja. It's a proud moment for me and I learned alot from GMing it. I also had a great cast of players that brought the rpg to life.

I personally think the NSWRPF is the most fun because the worlds that are created are more diversed.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    For me there has been nothing quite as magical as the synergy between myself, Sith-I-5, darth-bojangles, Rilwen, Lightwarden, and Dubya in OHMSS and Carboneye. From the Flak-Twist incident to Nifesta-Sadira 'shipping, to the final showdown on Mytus VII, those were darn good times. It might not have been the cleanest or the most graceful of RPing (unnecessary limb amputation comes to mind :p ), but it certainly was the most fun. :)

-I_H

7. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I don't think I could ever pick just one defining scene or plotline as my favorite, but I can pick a few off the top of my head.

First off, my favorite gaming experience on these boards would be my close to two years in a Tide of Flames. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in that game and I owe most of my Improvements as an RPer to it as well.

As for exact moments in a game I enjoyed?

SRs #2&#5 In the Galactic Senate RPG. Those were the true definition of fire and brimstone verbal slugfests. I still reread them occasionally.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My earliest moment was a Buffy/Angel game, where I and other Slayer-y types happened upon a family of demons at an airport pizzeria. My character was on the floor with an oven or fridge about to be pulled down onto her, and another player, who my memory is convinced was jedi-padawan-leigh, arrived in time with a heroically well written post that was just amazing, and felt like I had actually been saved in the nick of time.

It is moments like that, so far back in my post history, that I hope we don't lose when we move.

For the longest time, I held Livi-Wan in the highest regard for, on the second or third page of the original 007 game, From Ryloth With Love, having her Markus Carfax character shakily lighting a cigarra in response to a starship emerging from hyperspace almost on top of us. The realism blew me away.

For me, On Her Majesty's Security Service, us good guy agents were defending the main highway in Theed, Naboo from threats to the queen, and it was the greatest fun. Tanks, roof snipers, one shape-shifting player (DarthVadersCousin) changed into a cigarrette vending machine, and LiviWan's Carfax straightening a coat hangar to get a free pack out of it. Great times.

Sigh.

Last one, a rare moment, where research and posting time felt of the essence, and a race against time. In Galaxy of War III: Schism of the Sith, all the players were gathered for a long-organised (months!) fleet engagement, Imperials versus CIS, on tenterhooks waiting for things to kick off, and LordDarthUmbrus, whom we had not seen for ages, pops in with an apparent space probe broadcasting an unknown language.

No idea what most of it meant, except for a single Mandalorian word that I recalled from a Karen Traviss novel - beskar. I had to rush off and do Wiki research to extrapolate the rest of the broadcast, for my characters to piece together an analysis, all without knowing which of us would get a response up first.
    That was a blast.

It was that exercise where I learned there was a whole Mando'a language!

9. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Circumventing the question slightly, my favorite moment has yet to come. What do I mean by that? Well, I've been around here for over a year now and have begun to participate more broadly than just running my own game (which, I don't have a favorite moment from yet, per se, but there's a moment that will come, that somebody's got to do eventually, and if they do it right it'll be awesome) and things I'm participating in right now have a lot of potential to simply blow my mind.

So a non-answer, but essentially I say that, for me, the best is yet to come. ;)

10. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    First off, SotS is my number one game. NO Game could EVER compete, even though there are some others I really enjoy. There were some very special moments in SotS, like the fight scene between Sumiko and Karl. It wasn't very large, but I enjoyed it greatly. There are several others, just can't think of them at the moment. More great scenes will surely come from the new SotS!

11. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    It is almost impossible to say for me. Because two large elements defined my RPing here and little else left an equal impact on my personally. The first thing that came to my mind was Sins of the Saints, as I was a ready from the start and from the first spoiler to the last post, argh to the damned MOVIE they made out of it it´s just a piece of art. My own part in it as partially timetravelling, doomed to be killed Laura Blohm was AMAZING fun. The game as a whole . . . is for those who dive into it simply mindblowing. I dived as deep as I could, before returning to the surface and catch my breath.

Then there is this other tale that consumed my creative centre for almost three years. Kira Kara Romar, if I have a trademark character it was certainly her and god, from Borosk over Eydan Skorne to the confilct with more lightsided Jedi and finally the amazing 133 ABY, where she went full circle, all her mysteries were revealed and it all ended in her death and resurrection and redemption . . . it is the most complete character I ever played and I love her so much I even miss her sometimes. So depending on what day you ask me, it is these two.

Then I got a favourite which has nothing to do with me. :) It´s an old one. TheSithGirly and Saintheart playing together in "KesselBreak". There was an amazing GM in a great game, with an amazing character (the aging but very sexy assassin) having an amazing chemistry. Damned, I needa put KesselBreak on my interview list for Saintheart!

I guess I forgot a lot.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Really enjoyed my time in Man Cubs, that's up there, but in so far one of my favourite moments has to be when Evelios D'Rtan managed to talk down an angry mob by making them angry at him.

13. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    It is hard to say. There is a certain moment some games generate, when characters become so alive that their natural interaction seems to become more than players writing posts. They really come alive. It usually only happens between players and without GMs even though I felt certain GMs can do it, too. Sometimes even one player alone can do it. These are the moments I am looking for. It is when the interaction of RPing becomes much deeper than any book or movie. Examples come to my mind in the hundreds.

Rufus Jameson sleeping with Lilith. God was that heartbreaking. Only two characters sleeping with each other I can think of. Kira Romar being accused by Kai Lonati of not being a Jedi anymore. Kira Romar produced a lot of them actually. Kira and Jello´s Fel. Priceless. My own Eydan Skorne being confronted by Umbrus, LordDarthUmbrus Sith spectre. Sumiko and Carl in the desert. EVERYONE in the Corben´s Inn just having coffee. Cara Ta´Manis denying the redemption Mitth old Jedi offers to her. Eloa Lan and Kiar playing Vong mind games. Reborn Palpatine and his almost sexual gentleness towards Crimson. Everything Han Solo and Leia did in AFAS. Saintheart´s Lando in every damned post with anyone! The Myrkr crew in ManCubs. Ratep Sentarin and Kol Skywalker. Bakara and Elora screaming at each other. Darth Wyyrlok turning a Jedi Master over Bastion by denying him a fight. Xelon Tarn and Zurin Arctus conflict aboard the bridge just last week. Kyle Katarn meeting Jaden Korr again in Asylum. Andy and Vincent. Just to name those I did not have the fun and honor to be in! I was blassed with quite a few of those myself. The tragedy is, I might have missed so many more. I heard Dark Tears had plenty of those. I am certain GAW had a lot. And games I never read or heard of. But these are the moments I am doing this for. They give me great joy. If they don´t happen anymore, if RPing doesn´t reach that depth anymore . . . I am out of here. But looks like we´re on the way to more depth instead of less right now.

For all those uninterested in long tale about RPing, please stop reading here and let the above be my comment.

All others continue from here, with a little ABYverse history.

So my favourite moment. It is the connection of two. I´ll give a little story about them. Far, far away, many many years in the past a creature called Xenly was developed by a GM you guys know as SonofZeus. Despite it´s unique persona and obligatory great power it had a very special habit. Seducing people to the dark side with the help of visions. Breaking them in the process, before killing them. That was before all the EU crap ruined that idea of seduction. It was solely build on the Throne Room scene in RotJ. It broke characters by doing the worst, the absolute worst to your character it could do in the vision. Taking it from you subconsciousness and let you experience it. It worked. Every single time. Before these boards were known to me I failed the test twice. No player I knew actually did succeed in it. In 2007 LordT imported Xenly into ABYverse. The same year the first player was tested. Darth_bojangles Twi´lek Jedi Master on Roon failed miserably (in an amazingly written scene by him). Other players asked literally for mercy. In 2009 I centered my plot for 133 ABY - The Dark Odyssey around Xenly and his full force reawakening, that came with an evolutionary leap for his hivemind. I soon found a victim for him. Sarge´s Tenk Qatar failed miserably on Gesaril, when he was shown his wives failures.

But we would have a refight. Finale! It all went downhill. Our poor Kira Romar finally snapped and unleashed hell onto the Galaxy. Characters were dying left and right. The one Dark Jedi who could control Xenly had been tricked, defeated and killed by him. A single Vong tried to stop the DARK GOD as he called him. And Tenk Qatar, blinded, exhausted and unweaponed was challenged a final time inside his mind. And he lost ground so fast . . . trying to redeem Xenly, and then understanding Xenly was not able to change his mind anymore. Forever fixed

14. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    For me, besides LightSideApprentice's BoP and IBOP as a whole entity (and anyone who knows me has heard me sing this song countless times ) one of the most memorable and unforgettable experiences as a PLAYER
    was taking part in Saintheart's Enter the Matrix game. ( I think it was 'enter' and not 'reloaded', I could be wrong)
    I remember running home just to post and the adrenaline rush I felt as I read his updates. I just couldn't post fast enough. Then he upped and got married!! :eek: 8-} :p

As a GM, I totally enjoyed all of Xavier's. That pushed me to my limits and beyond, and exhausted me to no end, but it was tremendous fun and all the players were so awesome, always excited and full of ideas. I'll never forget it.

Good times. Thank you RPF. [face_peace]

*bows*

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    It was The Matrix: Brave New World, grey. I promise I'll make another one, someday. :)

In terms of peak experiences in RPGs ... I've had a few such that I can't reeeally split them up.

As a player, I think the limited time I had to play a Jawa Jedi was tremendous fun. Other good experiences I've had were in the old, old Graven Bay RPG because it felt like a John Carpenter movie, and of course in IBOP, especially when Lightside_Apprentice let me set up my own B-Wing squadron. Playing Lando in AFAS was a lot of fun, too: it's nice to be able to set yourself up as a sacrifice and watch Xan tear her metaphorical hair out in character as she tries to arrange a rescue effort. And then variously act terrified, noble, break down crying, and still be able to refer to a smooth smile as your best asset.

Although, all due respect, Fins, but you rocked K'krukh. All I had to do was play off your characterisation.

But I've been overwhelmingly a GM, and watching my players has been some of the best fun I've ever had. If there was one character moment I've enjoyed best, it was (who else?) ramza's Evelios giving a monologue to a captured goblin ending off in "so I think you will understand I am being very understated when I say TALK." In ToF, the occasional bickering between party members is a treat -- as is (I have to admit) the sudden fear and "AUGH WHAT" moments when I managed to take the party off guard. There are more moments than I can point to. Supplying background detail out of nowhere for my players has been tremendous fun: it's an area where I can shamelessly import and invent without scaring people too much. I've also had guilty pleasures in godmoding some of my players in dream sequences and assorted things like that.

I think I've had the most fun writing the 'victory' scene at Rhest in Tide of Flames -- there was just some beautiful about switching to first person, into italics, and just drifting through little vignettes for each of my players. I had a chance to drop in a filk from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which just seemed to work for Livi-Wan's Skadi, which I'd always wanted to do. I don't think I've written better than I did during that scene. I don't care that I'd just finished reading The Dark Tower and was heavily inspired by it. There are phrases in there that just came out of nowhere and sent tingles up my spine when I wrote them.

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I had a lot of fun writing space battles in AFaS, particularly when there were Mandalorians involved, particularly when one of those Mandalorians was the Saint's Karm Ahto, nee Rahm Kohta, whom we retconned into having been born a Mandalorian, tearing things to pieces on the back of a bes'uliik. Also the crowning of Sel Nephrite as Mandalore. Frankly, the entire beginning of AFaS was pretty great, too, establishing the world as an AU: Lando and Chewbacca over Dagobah as Leia talks to Yoda, while Kyle Katarn infiltrates Jabba's Palace under the Tamtel Skreej alias after entering into Jabba's demolition games (as Lando did).

Kyle Katarn won the games by punching General Otto's AT-ST to death.

I have to say, though, playing with blubeast in my game Jurassic Park: Murphy's Law was this lovely, Whedon-esque experience. It was great when we were just punching each other out.

EDIT: Holy crap, Saint I had forgotten about when Lando gave himself up to Winged_Jedi's creepy/awesome inquisitor. And Leia going into the dark side cave and meeting Darth Caedus.

17. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I read this a while ago when I skipped randomly through old threads looking for something. And I was totally amazed by that one. It was, in RPf historic terms, sooooo ahead of it´s time! Spycoder´s Quarantined and Republic_Anvils games totally breathed the same spirit years later. It is the one game I am sorry not to have been around to play. Okay, this is not the history thread, right?

Actually, we don´t have one, have we?

Anyway. Wanted to say so. :) And Saint, thanks for the kind words, but I did do nothing with K´Kruhk. I was just suddenly possessed by a spirit of a crazy old Whipid when I found a strawhead in the street. :p

Next to Eydan Skorne I´d say Gurn/K´Kruhk might be my favourite played character of all times.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    [image=http://rawologie.webstarts.com/uploads/rice_hat.jpg]

19. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    I haven´t been around for long and only a handful of characters I have played. Thrawn and my crazy Dark Jedi were fun in AFAS. Reprising The Vulture was obviously wonderful. I am sure many memorable moments will come from ToRR, although I think it is too early to judge. But my favourite moment was an exposition to a game I envy. I mean it. I am jealous of Fin for The sins of the Saints. It is not a joke. It is a confession.

Corben´s Inn. Sitting there. A father trying to connect with his son. The son flirts with the young waitress. The older waitress serves an old musician and then the staff giggles as they realize it is Johnny Cash. A preacher gets a breakfeast and a coffee and finds a connection to the superhot younger waitress through the word of God. One round of updates. A second. Nothing happens. We talk, we eat. It´s hot. The place is nice. Not luxurious, but I can feel the wood, smell the fat from the kitchen, taste to good eggs. A forth round of updates and we might begin to guess the Preacher is a troubled man, my Johnny Cash lost his wife recently, the boy lost his mother and his father tries to make it a good holiday. Hell I liked that father. The young waitress comes from a very christian family. The other one arrived only recently but people quickly made her feel welcome. I get my food. One of my Johnny Cash songs played. I think it was I Hung my Head from the America III. Nothing really happens and slowly the frightening realization comes to all of us, this will be nothing like the ordinary RPing. This will be terrifying. And so it was. When Fin hit us, it was a simple incompetent madman on a killing spree who shot the father, by accident. But God, it had impact to have a character dying there, with no doctor nearby. I CARED ABOUT ALL OF US! From there it all went to hell. Literally. I always felt the title originally planned for it would have been more fitting. An American Nightmare. But it was quite a ride and as expected, there were no happy endings ofr those people.

This silent, authentic atmosphere and the subtle dread that swept into it made Corben´s Inn my RPing experience around here. And certainly one of the best in my life.

[face_peace]

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    LordT's introduction as reborn Palpatine in AFaS.

Not only was it an awesome post. Not only was it a lot of fun to put his IC post before his CS, forcing the reveal.

It was a lot of fun to watch people react to the twist in Hooper's. :p

21. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Hurrah for some of the mentions in here! And did I smell someone (*cough*Saint*cough*) mentioning The Dark Tower Series? I say, Bravo for that as a brief aside! (huge fan for years)

Anywho, favorite moments here? .... Are you kidding? There are too many, Lady Xan. *contemplates quietly, stroking his chin*

Far, far too many...so many utter experiences both OOC as much as IC.

One current 'favorite' I suppose you could say, is watching the entire RPF from the shadows and seeing it slowly still plod on into the future. Watching the very progression of the games, the players, the styles, and the interactions between you all.

Long Live The RPF and May The Creativity Be With You All.

22. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    :cool:

Well obviously my best/favorite RPF moment is in fact what occurred in Odyssey :p Let it be known that I didn't come to that post easily and this not-so-little article explains the creative process that went into making a post that ended up saving the game and at least a fraction of the good guys [face_laugh] But pretty much it was just Fins backing me into a corner and I just happened to lash out the right way in order to get my character out of there :p My emotional investment into Tenk Qatar that had started in Sinre's previous Sith-Imperial War also gave me the extra incentive to make sure that he did not die [face_skull]

All in all, an epic experience and I have a feeling it will be a long, long time before I'm a part of something like that again.

......Though I'm not sure if I do want to be part of something like that again [face_worried]

23. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    I remember that moment as the greatest moment as a lurkore ever and on any board. I was vaguely familiar with the Xenly brain-war theme and I really considered it unfair Fin put someone through this who did not know about it. But then I realized it was probably the key winning for Sarge. I loved how this went down and actually begged to Fin to be allowed to save poor Talia in the end, which I did through my Vulture.

Actually a character I might reprise here one day if the opportunity arises and anybody needs a Prince of Crime in their game.

This article I got mailed some time ago by Sarge when we discussed Tenk. I can only strongly recommend it. It is an excellent and insightful piece of hhow to create a MASTERPIECE of a post as you can only do it in such final moments of a game. And it is a great read.

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    There are so many things that I remember with great joy. It is easy to fall in love with a game and scene when things seem to work out themselves.

As a player I think my time with Darth Zorn and Umbrus on Ryloth is my favourite storyline. We three agreed we wannted to do it a little different this time around and had so much fun. It MADE 128 ABY for me.

As a lurker I am drawn between almost anything Kira Romar ever did, I felt so deeply sympathetic with that character it was like Claire enchanted me there. And then there was Chessboards, which combined my two favourite freetime activities and was so much fun to watch and discuss. It was so Polcyc vs Brandl and the same time Sinre vs. Fin. I loved it.

As a GM . . . oh I think I will leave my opinion to the interview with Claire about myself as a GM. Let´s say I liked my players most about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.