main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF Portugal Tourists & Visitors - Welcome to our Board.

Discussion in 'Archive: Portugal' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks, White! :)

And... [face_blush] I have almost forgotten... ;)

Nice music! :)

2. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Anywhere were i can hear a preview of Nightwish? Or wich musics (from nightwish) do you recommend i hear?

I recommend:

Tutankhamen (album: Angels Fall first)... Read the lyrics while listening to it... there are references to Stargate and Carter [face_blush]
    The Riddler (album: Oceanborn)
    The Pharaoh Sails to Orion (album: Oceanborn)
    Wishmaster (album: Wishmaster)
    Dead Boy's Poem (album: Wishmaster)
    10th Man Down (album: Over the Hills and Far Away)
    End of All Hope (album: Century Child)
    The Phantom of the Opera (album: Century Child)

There are lots more that I just love, but those are the ones I definitly recommend. :)

3. AlmaMavisTaraza

AlmaMavisTaraza Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2002
    Lady_Jedi_Carenix: i love jhonen's jokes [face_love] my favorites stories are the ones involving Squee, the little kid next door. johnny's trip to hell is very amusing too ;) and the one where he kidnaps a guy and makes him taste the stuff in his fridge! [face_laugh] not to mention Pepito! [face_laugh]
    ok, i just love all of jhonen's work [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    i wonder how his name is pronounced though... :D ?[face_plain]
    oh yeah, don't just ask for comida...you'll probably be directed to a macdonalds :p
    if you want tradicional stuff, ask for sardinhas or bacalhau. don't let a guy go asking around for bacalhau though...it's slang for something naughty [face_blush] he might get slapped! [face_laugh]

Skiara: sure, abreviate all you want :)
    the beach isn't the most important thing in portugal, but we get the feeling that's the main reason tourists come here :_|
    although i'm sure some come for the monuments. sure, we don't have things like versailles or the bradenburg gates...but we still got neat stuff like the jerónimos, the tower of belém (that's it up there, on palpatine's left! yes, it's in the water :p), the pena castle...and lord byron's favorite, sintra, which is just fabulous if i say so myself ;)
    and more stuff! :D
    hmm...rechts! thanks! :D
    now...how do you pronounce that..? ?[face_plain] :)

4. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Hey Lady Jedi Carenix! You're back!
    Missa so happy to see you! :D :p ;) *pics up LJC hands and shakes them*
    Thanks again in your compliment regarding the banner :) It really satisfies me. :)

(...)and the panel with a knife flying through the air has a little label "For the vision impaired - a knife is flying through the air". (...)
    [face_laugh] LOL. that one is really a mean one. thsc thsc :p
    * shakes head *

Ok DarkWoman, i will try to find those musics you listed. Thanks for the detailed info regarding from which album each music is.
    Anything you can tell me about the group?

Well talking about comics, i really like Zits. Anyone knows? :)

don't let a guy go asking around for bacalhau though...it's slang for something naughty [face_blush] he might get slapped!
    ROTFL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    I'm just imagining the scene and i can't stop laughing! [face_laugh]
    Beware, the Alma's warning is for real!

the tower of belém (that's it up there, on palpatine's left! yes, it's in the water)
    to avoid confusions from our visitors: his (palpatine) right (our left) :p

Our banner has pictures from several places in Portugal, including our islands.
    If you are interested or curious i can post from which place each picture is. :)

--- edit: ----
    Btw, for any current or future visitor that does not know where portugal is, just visit this page i made years ago explaining it :p

5. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Ok DarkWoman, i will try to find those musics you listed. Thanks for the detailed info regarding from which album each music is.
    Anything you can tell me about the group?

Well... nothing like checking out their website: www.nightwish.com. :)
    I think they're taking a 2 year break after they recorded Century Child last year. Tarja (the lead singer) is having singing classes in Germany if I'm not mistaken... ?[face_plain] and the rest of them are dedicated either to their personal lives or to personal projects.

6. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    "the phantom of the opera" was written by andrew loyd webber. that's garanteed quality there, folks ;) :D

(i still say sarah brightman sings it better... :D)
    *runs*

7. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    *runs after Alma and throws multiple objects at her* :p

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    *holds DarkWoman back* I need to explain something to Alma. After that I will help you... perhaps... or her... I have to think about that. ;) :p

How is rechts pronounced? Mhm... good question. It's a bit difficulty for me, because I do not know portuguese and so I can't compare with that... ;)
    I am sorry, but I really tried to find english words (letters) that are exactly pronounced in the same way. But I can't find a "ch"... [face_blush]
    But I think it is easier for you to pronounce it in the right way than for the english men. ;)

The beach is really interesting but it would not be the only reason why I would visit Portugal. :)
    It would bore me soon. ;)

Now I have to work on my thesis... ;)

See you all soon! :)

9. Aragornllum

Aragornllum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    rechts = direita

At your service, milady!!!

;)

10. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, next year lets make the European meeting in Portugal. :) Go to the beach, etc etc. :) Portugal is cheap when compared to other european countries. So despite those 2 things in favor, 2004 is also the year in wich the european soccer tournament will take place in Portugal, so in that year portugal will really be popular to visit. With lots of Tourists from all over europe and the world. :) So that's 3 things in favor. ;)

So what do ya think? :) ;)

11. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    a european meeting here? that would be cool! but a nightmare to organize, i'm afraid :_|
    still, it's a nice idea ;)

oh Skiara...i just love those rolling rrrrrrrs! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    today my brain decided to function and as i read your post i remembered that my mom knows a bit of german [face_blush] :eek: so i asked her! i now *hope* i'm saying it right :D
    and you're right, i can't think of any word in english that helps ?[face_plain]
    but don't worry, "ch" exists in portuguese and it's pronounced exactly the same way. it must have a vowel attached to it, but the sound is the same ;)
    the plural of our words uses that sound too. we just add an 's' to the end and pronounce it "ch" (it's the same in english, but the sound is much more sibilant) :)
    anyway, this summer i'm thinking of signing up for the intensive german course they have at the goethe institut here in lisbon! it's not very expensive and i've heard they have really good teachers and facilities :)
    unfortunately the courses usually start before my college exams end :_| ...we'll see :)

12. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Ah, language knowledge interchange? :D

I only know english and portuguese, suck at any other language... Though today I managed to more or less understand what a man was saying in french... And managed to cook up a couple of phrases to talk with him... But couldn't tell him what time it was because I forgot how you say it! :(

As for the beach thingy, Portugal is well known for the sun and summer... (Like every other country doesn't have it. :p) Expecially around the UK people, who make up the most of our tourists and come here almost solely for the beaches...

"The sun gives us light, warmt and tourists." -> Suposebly truthful answer given by a student on a test. ;)

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ah... thanks, Alma! :)
    Now I know a bit of how to pronounce portuguese words. [face_mischief]
    But in german we haven't have any rolling "r". But you are right, it really sounds good! :)

Although I am very bad in languages at school, I like to learn new ones! :)
    So I know a bit of some languages! ;)

Btw: If you like to speak german (after your german course) or have a question, you can allways ask me! I would be glad to help you! :)

Perhaps you should ask for a meeting in Portugal, White! ;)
    I would like to come, if it is possible for me. But I do not konw what the most other think about that... perhaps it will be cost to much (flight)...

You managed to understand a frenchman without knowing anything of french? Respect!! :eek: :) I would understand only "yes" and "no"! ;) :p

Does anyone of you live near the beach?

14. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, i supose many of us live nor far away from beaches. Many of us live on Lisbon (or very near it). And we have plenty to choose from. But the best beaches are on the south of Portugal: Algarve.
    Even warmer tempuratures there also. :) Say about 37Cº or 42Cº :p :D

Where are my sun glasses? ?[face_plain]
    Oh there they are...
    *picks up glasses*
    :cool:
    awwwwwwww...

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Around 40°? :eek: But only in summer, right? ?[face_plain]

16. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Yep. On summer time. :)

17. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah on summer.
    On winter we have about 15ºC sometimes 10ºC (if really bad) other times 17 or 18ºC (also on winter).
    I'm talking about Lisbon of course, as the temperatures vary depending of the place in Portugal. Being normally the north colder, and south warmer. Lisbon is located along the coast of portugal, between north and south of the country.

18. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    [face_laugh] @ the forum announcement

I don't want to go home and rethink my life. I want to go to the beach! ;) :D

*gets out sunglasses* :cool:

A fanforce gathering in Portugal sounds very cool. I doubt I could go, though. :_| Poor college student syndrome. ;) :)

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    Thank you, LJC, I haven't noticed it till now. ;) :D

Mhm... I think I will go with her to the beach. It will be more fun than at home. ;) :p

I know that syndrom very well. [face_plain] ;)

20. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Check out this link. :)
    http://portugal.org/

A good date would be 11,12,13 and 14 of June. (friday saturday sunday monday) And normally has nice weather. :)

June 2004 would be a very nice date because of our Popular Saints? Celebration in Lisbon. Think you would love that. :)

Well you are in the USA, for you it would be a intercontinental flight. It would get more expensive than others. Heck, it would always be expensive for ya, no matter where in europe the metting takes place. :(

---
    Beach would of course be a must.

And yeah, i also like our announcement. :)
    Was inserted yesterday night. ;)

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I have seen your thread "Euro 2004". If I am correct you ask all portueges people what they think about a Meeting in 2004 in Portugal, right? ?[face_plain] :)

That date sound really nice! :)
    I am curious about what the others will say! :)

22. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    coff coff. :p
    Not actually that.

Euro 2004 is about the Soccer Euro Championship 2004, that will take place in Portugal. I created the topic because today is the first game of preparation to the Euro.
    A friendly match is taking place at this precise moment. Italy vs Portugal. I'm watching it on TV (normally i don't pay attention to soccer, but i like to see our country in championships)
    At this moment: 25minutes of the first half. 0-0

But yes... About portugal hosting the european ff metting in 2004. i think we could all talk about it here. :) So that you can also participate and understand what we say. :)

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ups... [face_blush]
    Ok, you all know, I know nothing about portugese. ;) :p

If you want you can start a new thread in portuguese. ;) IMHO it is your (portuguese people) to invite others, so we have not to understand everything you are talking about that. :)

24. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    ;) Made the topic.
    I presented the suggestion, and offer myself to be the organizor of such event (if approved).

25. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    thanks Skiara! i'm going to need someone to practice with, and a native speaker is the best person for that! :)

funny, i don't like the beach very much... :p
    anakin said it best about sand: it's rough, and it gets everywhere :p

ah yes, the saints! imagine carnaval in rio de janeiro, now take away the nakedness and the samba, and add portuguese folk music! :D
    *ducks sharp object thrown by WhiteHorse*
    well ok, it isn't exactly like that :p
    but the underlying concept is: each "bairro" (neighbourhood ?[face_plain]) of lisbon dresses people up in brightly colored costumes, writes a song, and then dances and marches down avenida da liberdade (liberty avenue ;) ), and people watch the parade. at the end, one of the bairros is declared the winner. i don't remember if they get anything or if the glory of being the people's favorites is enough :p
    then there are the "arraiais", improvised street parties in the oldest neighbourhoods, near the castle :)
    these feature the most portuguese of things, the "tasca", which is a place where you can get tradicional goodies like grilled (on coals) sardine on bread, a soup called "caldo verde", grilled pork, and the ever present chouriço, farinheira, morcela... here are some pics of them :D
    they all look extremely gross, but they are just delicious ;)
    (you'll notice we love tascas so much we have a thread to serve as our local tasca ;) )

now...getting here...anyone in europe can come either by plane or train (except the irish, no train for them :_|)...but anyone is the US would have to take a plane. i don't know how much the trip costs, but i don't think it's cheap. :(also, i don't know if US citizens need anything else besides their passport to enter portugal ?[face_plain]
    the EU members citizens only need their Id cards :)
    unfortunately WhiteHorse, the dates you picked are right on exam season! :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.