main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    It was sarcasm...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If that T-Rex does not jump out of the screen and eat the lawyer off the toilet in the middle of the aisle, I'm going to be disappointed.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You think they'll have that on the tour?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    And so the balcony is closed once and for all as Roger Ebert goes on his way.

I never let movie critics tell me what to watch. I like movies they don't and they like movies that I don't. That's life. Still, I always liked watching "At the Movies" and I did occasionally drop by his website to read reviews if only because I was curious what he thought of them.

I feel old.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Off to check the news.

I never read movie reviews, ever. If I want to get a feel for a movie, I'll ask a friend who either knows or shares my taste. I won't read the review of some stranger who purports to be an "expert" but has no idea what kind of movies I want to watch.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I think you can use movie reviews as a very general "guide" to if a movie is really bad.

But, yeah, tastes. I have a guilty pleasure in the Saw series of movies, and I think they have an average of 2/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. :p

Unlike video games, where gameplay is quite an objective thing to judge, movies/TV are very subjective.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Just found it. Sad about Ebert. I wasn't sure if he died or if he had retired.

8. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    In regards to the Saw movies, who thinks up half that stuff? A bit concerning...

The first movie I'm really interested in is The Great Gatsby, can't wait. And Kill Your Darlings, The Bling Ring, and Star Trek Into Darkness are definitely on my radar. The last one mostly because of Benedict Cumberbatch, but stil...

R. I. P. Ebert.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Dang, I knew he was pretty ill, but doesn't make it any less sudden. I always like his reviews, even if I didn't always agree with them. I don't really remember Siskel and Ebert, but Ebert and Roeper was always a fun critical duo. :(

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm actually in it for the plot.

No, I'm deadly serious. The first film actually doesn't have any gore until the last five minutes. It's entirely centered on the characters and their motivations. In fact, I like the later films a lot less, because I think they did start to degenerate into gore fests, and the character studies of the first three films especially were lost in the blood.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Narrated by Kenneth Brannagh, came out 1999? Any of these sound familiar?

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never really looked at Ebert's reviews. But it's still depressing. Like it will be sad when Hulk Hogan, Chuck Norris, Oprah, etc. die. People that I am only vaguely familiar with though that are iconic in their particular field and even if you didn't know much about them you still know of them and have for as long as you can remember.

I knew of Siskel and Ebert and then Ebert and Roeper. If I thought of film critics, such names were the first to pop into my mind, even though I had very little knowledge about them

----------------------

Avery Brooks did the narration in the American release of Walking with Dinosaurs.

I also loved Walking with Prehistoric Beasts and Walking with Monsters (called Before the Dinosaurs when released in the US).

The latter two I felt were a lot more interesting because I had zero familiarity with the animals that lived before the dinosaurs and was really only familiar with the recent examples of prehistoric animals that have existed since (like the Wooly Mammoth or Smilodon). Meanwhile I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid and checked dinosaur books out from the library weekly.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Siskel and Ebert used to do point-counterpoint reviews as I recall.

14. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009

Captain Sisko compels you to watch Walking with Dinosaurs.

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I second third fourth whatever Walking with Dinosaurs. Awesome.

I didn't realise post-cancellation would be such srs bsns. I'm getting some burns from all these heated discussions in various threads.

Here's a cute lamb: [​IMG]

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently it's all srs bsns now.

I know what we need:

You people all spoiled Star Wars for me! It's not fair! I didn't know that Anakin became Darth Vader! Why did you have to tell me that he's Luke's father? And what do you mean, Jedi can use the Force? And Chewbacca is a Wookiee and Han's sidekick?

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

...Annnddd look at that moon. I think it's full enough for a party at KenobiSkywalker's neighbor's house.

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    To whomever it may concern, dissertation update: 5,167 words done. Officially over halfway. Doing the little extra bits (e.g. intro, conclusion, context and historiography) tomorrow, then it's just one big case study to do.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Awesome. :) I know you'll be glad to have that behind you.

In other news related to moving away from srs bsns, my Minecraft-fan 5-year-old just showed me this video. I thought it was funny, but oy...blowing **** up.

07jonesj likes this.
  19. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    anakinfansince1983

This one's made by the same creator. Try not to cry. So many feels.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    RIP Roger Ebert. =(

Oh man, the new episode of Archer had me in stitches with the Sealab 2021 jumpsuits and the appearance of Captain friggin' Murphy.

Walking With Dinosaurs is awesome. My favorite Dinosaur documentary is Dinosaur Planet. I really liked Walking With Prehistoric Beasts. I've always been fascinated by big cats and that extends to prehistoric cats like Smilodon, Homotherium, and the American Lion.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I've only been at uni two days, and I already so tired I feel like I'm going to just fall asleep on the spot... Waking up at 6 am sucks... But hey, it's the weekend now, so yay :D

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh yes, weekend! :D Today will be the last day of the workshop with myTransylvanian colleagues which was all srs bsns, heavy stuff and totally depleted my battery. Starting this evening, I'll finally have my dose of hubby, kid and puppy.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  25. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    So Vader versus Yoda then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.