main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Frank Darabont defends TPM!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Luukeskywalker, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
  2. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    "I think PHANTOM MENACE will be assessed some years down the road more fairly than it is now."

Bingo.

This is the kind of article that should be on the TF.N front page. Not SW is dead crap. Glad to see T'Bones knows how to run a fansite. :)

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  3. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    George Lucas is capable of many, many things. But making you feel like that wonder-struck eight-year-old again isn't one of them.

Frank Darabont giveth, and Frank Darabont taketh away.

[face_laugh]

It's hard to have perspective when you're in the heat of the moment. I think PHANTOM MENACE will be assessed some years down the road more fairly than it is now.

Well, it's been the better part of four years since I saw TPM, the heat of the moment has long since passed and my assessment of TPM is that it is an incredibly bad film.

Bingo!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

4. YodaYodaBinks

YodaYodaBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    some of the bashers will just say Darabont didn't want to say bad things about the film, given the chance he would work with Lucas again

*shrug*

but thanks for the article!

others wish they could create a film as brilliant as TPM

5. YodaYodaBinks

YodaYodaBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    this article also puts to rest the basher-made theory that Lucas didn't ask for help to write the scripts

that makes TWO people now that he's asked for help from: Darabont and Kasdan

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    But Star Wars did make everyone feel like a kid, that was the key to its success.

TPM failed to do that.

g

7. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    The fact still remains that EVERYONE here as well as billions others across the globe had the highest expectations for this movie.

There was no way in hell that those could be totally met. The SW films have become so iconic over the years, to expect these new films to please as many people as the old films, is a bit unrealistic and unfair.

No "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.

8. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    well i was 10 when i say tpm (im 15 now) so i can tell you that it may not have been able to make 30 year olds feel like a kid but when i saw it words dont describe how amazing and how captivated i was

9. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    The fact still remains that EVERYONE here as well as billions others across the globe had the highest expectations for this movie.

Wow. Not only do you feel qualified to speak for everyone here, Luukeskywalker, but you also feel that you can speak for billions of others???

Well let me burst that little bubble of yours by saying that I did NOT have "the highest expectations" for TPM. So you can put that "fact" of yours back in the faulty goods box you got it from.

:)

10. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Very very cool Spring Warm.

Those are the kind of things that I like to hear. :D

Were you a fan of the old movies when you first saw TPM? Or was TPM the first Star Wars film you ever saw?

11. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    JenX, there is two options for a film of this magnitude that followed three of the most loved films ever.

You either have high expectations for it (ie you think it will be good and enjoyable).

Or you you don't have high hopes, which means that you expect to be let down.

I guess it is possible to get into the category of believing that it is gonna be the best movie of all time.

But just because you have high hopes doesn't mean you expect that.

Unless, you had some brilliant jedi visions of your opinion's future, you couldn't have expected it to stink.

12. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    Luukeskywalker, do you mind NOT telling me what I think, please? No offence, but a couple of posts ago you were telling me that I and everyone else here had the highest expectations for TPM. Now you are saying that I could only have had one of two expectations for TPM.

Putting aside the gaping holes in your logic (what, only two options? What if I expected the film to better then good? What if you expected it to be brilliant? What if I expected the film to be just ok?) you have neither the knowledge or the authority to speak for me, so stop it.

Thank you! :)

Two edits! Must not watch Baseball whilst trying to compose posts in future

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well my expectations were colored by the SEs 2 years earlier - George had made some poor decisions with that, so I was hopeful that TPM would be good but I certainly didn't have high expectations.

g

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    But Star Wars did make everyone feel like a kid, that was the key to its success.

TPM failed to do that.

For you maybe.

15. sith99

sith99 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 1999
    No kidding, how the hell can some of you sit there and say SW don't captivate kids anymore. Are you a kid? My nephew saw it when he was 4, and let me tell you he's 6 now and it's all ON. The kid can't stop talking about it. I think his parents wished he would have never of seen it. I can't wait to see if my daughter will dig it or not. I'm going to have her watch it 1-6. Even though SW is more of a boy thing IMO.

16. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "TPM failed to do that."

So certain are you? Do you speak for everyone when you make this sweeping generalization? Do you know how I felt when I saw Episode I at the Cinema with my friends? Have you got into the minds of every single living Human and devouded their opinion from the Brain? I thought not.

Don't make generalizations please. :)

17. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    YYB: Yeah, he asked for Darabont's help. And if you believe that interview, when he agreed, George just totally ignored him and in favor of doing it himself.

And I seem to remember the reason Frank didn't write the script was because he was in the WGA. Very suspicious.

18. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Hooray for Frank Darabont!

I was 24 when I saw TPM and it made me feel like I was 8 all over again. (And I think I'm a fairly cynical person.) Great movie magic!

19. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    And I seem to remember the reason Frank didn't write the script was because he was in the WGA. Very suspicious.

Let me see if I understand you: We must be suspicious of anybody who has anything positive to say about the prequels while rallying around those who criticize it. Right.

20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    THis is an awesome find Luukeskywalker. I must commend you for it. Unfortunately, you will never find this peice of news in Entertainment Weekly, Time Magazine, USA Today, or any of those other publications, because that would be fair and balanced reporting, and the media just cant have that now can they?

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    rpeugh -

TIME magzine gave all 5 SW movies a positive review, is that unbalanced reporting.?

g

22. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    it is kind of strange that Lucas asked for Darabont to write it but then went ahead and wrote it himself. was he just paying lip service? did he forget he asked Darabont?

23. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    My apologies gezvader, I forgot about the positive review of AOTC by TIME magazine. I remember being very happy about that. But my point is that a lot of magazines out there are going out of thier way to trash the prequels (EW is one of them.) They go out of their way to bash them even when they are doing stories about other movies. That's the thing that really irks me. I'm just saying that it would be nice to see something like the Frank Darabont article in USATODAY once in a while.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Evazan: Read the interview again. Darabont explains it pretty eloquently.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree with Darabont's assesment of the STORY of TPM being one of the best, second only to ESB.
    But many fans don't understand mercantilist politics or want them in the Star Wars universe period.
    IMHO, TPM has a great underlying story that is sometimes clumsily and awkwardly told on the surface.
    Lucas combined some great political allegories with some too distracting antics of some of the characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.