main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Futuristic Cityscape

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by shkumbin, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shkumbin

shkumbin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2006
    I have worked for quite a long in this project, well my PC is pretty bad, so the max was crashing all the time, and many times I lost loads of hours of work and all that.
    Anyway I managed to make a shot of this small part of it. I actualy have in the background loads of buildings and stuff but I wasnt able to render cus my pc crashes, thanks god Im getting a new PC tomorrow and Ill post progress as I go!
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/devil2k3/test3.jpg]

2. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    Good start. Can't say I'm crazy about the textures though.

3. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    I know textures arent that good,I pretty much suck in texturing.
    I have 5 months "experience" in 3D.
    Anyway Im trying :D ,thanks for the comment

4. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    WOW, you downloaded meshes from scifi3D and put them into the same scene, amazing. And you almost got the textures right, I'm speachless

5. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    I guess I said something like "I have 5 months "experience" in 3D"

6. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Good start.... It will look better when you go further :D

I don't see any models from scifi3d....or i'm blind :s

7. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Yeah, it looks like all of those are from Scifi3d, besides the greebles-generated stuff. It looks like you need some DOF added, more buildings, and what are those lines for? They don't look like traffic at all, and it looks like there is some traffic in the back but the ships are too large if that's the case.

However, it won't look bad if you fix up the textures, and then just add the ground.

8. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    as I said in my previous post i have a lot more buildings added in the background but it wont render as my pc isnt good, im getting a new one today and Ill render it when I get to start using it.
    Btw for the lines they arent actual traffic lol , they are like lines which hold "buses" or whatever, plus Im gonna add air traffic.The buildings some are from sci-fi some arent, its not that I cant model those myself, cus its pretty primitive shapes but why not use some when easier :p, I guess thats why they are there,the textures though need work, I just cant kinda ever decide what exactly should I use, lol i always change my mind, try something and then something else and it looks crap in the end, anyway Im gonna work a lot more when i get my new pc and I guess faster.
    thanks for ur replies

9. dvdcdr

Aug 8, 2006
    cgtextures.com

You'll find some cool stuff there. :)

10. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    mayang.com/textures. Over 3400 textures, but you can only download 20 a day, otherwise your IP will be blocked. All free, all the time!!

11. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    I know that one, its cool
    Thanks for efforts guys :D

12. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Update, I just worked like 1 hour or 2, I was so busy with school and work so I had a little time and I came here, I bought
    My new computer as well so it works a lot smoother now, and the scene isnt heave for this PC :D
    Comments and suggestions please?
    PS . I might model more buildings, so I have my own better than just getting those from sci-fi3d.com :D

[image=http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7901/test1mj4.jpg]

13. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    It looks much better, but I would try to model some more buildings because there are several that have copies. It also needs a bit more texturing, it looks too simple. And it kind of looks like part of the Padme Apartment isn't touching the ground, that 'pill' shaped part. But it looks much better.

14. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Yes I will model more buildings for sure and I will definitively try doing more work on texturing.
    I had an accident 2 days ago and Im still kinda not totaly recovered so I didnt have much time to work, but yes
    Hopefully in the next 2 days Ill find some hours free and model some new buildings.
    And the big building I think should go away, it doesnt seem to fit there I think.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Cheers

15. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    That might be a good idea, people will probably recognize that it's Padme's apartment really easily anyway. Hope you get better, remember when you get sick or injure yourself it usually means more time to relax and watch good movies so it's not all bad.

16. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    thanks man a lot for courage, to be honest im not sick or hurt but I was robbed by a guy with a knife, i was with my gf coming from work,it was terrible cus we were scared an stuff,it just sucks,and its like lots of stres and stuff.
    Anyway yes I will modell some new buildings and see how that comes.
    Any ideas what kind or any reference? I though have in my mind some!
    Cheers

17. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    It might end up real cool. Just keep modeling, blank places must be gone ;). U have to get it eventually reallly detailed and tight.
    As of references, just look up factory, city photos of nowadays etc..

Lookfilms

18. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    I was held at knifepoint once too. I dislocated the guy's shoulder.

19. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Update:
    There is some more buildings I need to model and some more lights added and stuff, but generally i think its kinda taking the feel pretty much now, of course there is a lot more to be done.
    Cheers

[image=http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/7231/test1ss0.jpg]

20. dvdcdr

Aug 8, 2006
    a big improvement. I'm not that crazy about the buildings themselves, though. You need to do a bit more with them than downloading from scifi. I'd either model more detail into them, and subdivide or somethng, or get high resolution textures and bump/displacement map. Also, materials. it looks kinda like a video game. there are textures but no materials. you need to play around with the way the buildings recieve light and everything. but so far, very good. i never have the patience to create a full coruscant city.:p

21. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    basically I didnt want to create like a full coruscant with high details city and stuff, as this is gonna serve the purpose for website only, it is gonna be an animation therefore maybe very very detailed buildings, textures arent nessesary. anyway I would like to create better textures so it looked nicer and more detailed, but as I have mentioned in previous posts I am new in 3d and I cant texture almost at all, I just suck at it.
    The big buildings u see now are my models and not from scifi.com and soon Im gonna model more and make most of them my own, maybe just some of sci-fi3d as far background buildings.
    Obviously a lot more to do, but its past midnight here in London now, so for tonight Im gonna sleep and i hope tomorrow I can model more stuff and try to texture more and hopefully will look much better!
    Thanks for support guys!
    cheers

22. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    it's getting better.
    Here are my advices: The environment map is a spherical map, but you applied it as a screen map. Go to the map property and set it to spherical or cylindricale, it will look better.
    The water is a good idea, but you have a scale issue. The waves on the surface are way to big: if you compare them to the size of the buildings, all these waves would be like 50 feet high.

23. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks for advices ,u have a point...

24. shkumbin

Oct 25, 2006
    some buildings I modelled to fill up empty places, Any good?

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/devil2k3/fill_buildings.jpg]

25. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    They look awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.