main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This is a general thread for Game of Thrones. House of the Dragon-specific discussion can be found in THIS THREAD (follow link).

Original Opening Post Follows:

Edit: This thread has been altered to a completely non-spoiler thread. Once TV episodes have aired then information about those events (and their conterparts in the books) can be discussed, otherwise all other material cannot be brought into this thread. A thread for discussion of the books (and therefore TV series spoilers) can be found http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/31785666/p1/?48]here[/link[/URL]].

I know next to nothing about this series which debuts tonight on HBO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones]Wikipedia[/URL] entry

http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1160215p1.html]Review[/URL] ONE http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/game-thrones-tv-review-174120]TWO[/link[/URL]] http://www.denofgeek.com/television/833989/game_of_thrones_episode_1_spoilerfree_review.html]THREE[/link[/URL]]

The first episode introduces a dizzying array of plotlines, almost to the point where you wonder whether writer/creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss can keep all the fantastical plates spinning. There are all kinds of treasonous intrigues and clandestine affairs going on, and it's to both the credit of Game Of Throne's cast and director that the show remains a gripping watch, in spite of the amount of dialogue and backstory it has to impart.

Sean Bean heads up an exemplary, eclectic cast as Eddard Stark (his friends call him Ned), the lord of the northern castle of Winterfell. As Game Of Thrones begins, Stark is asked by his old friend, King Robert, to become his left hand man, after his previous employee died in mysterious circumstances.

It later becomes apparent that sources close to the king are all plotting to overthrow his reign, while far away to the east, two factions are joining forces to make their own claim for the throne.

Game Of Thrones is gory, adult stuff, and appears to have been designed specifically to rile Daily Mail readers, with its foul-mouthed young princes and unapologetic nudity. The rather self-consciously sensationalistic moments don't always sit well with its grittier, more dramatic points, but then again, it would probably feel a little too po-faced without a few moments of crude levity

My only experience with GRR Martin stuff is his Wild Cards series which I have followed for literally decades now, and I have heard good things about the Game Of Thrones books overall. Some 6 million dollars have been spent on the first season and the reviews are good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2022
  2. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Yeah looking forward to this, was about to open a thread about it, but got lazy. I wouldn't have topped your copy/paste, italics and link TRIPLE COMBO though.

They're only airing it a day later in the UK, so I'll be watching it tomorrow night.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Also don't know much about this but I'm thinking it will make a good 'catch up' show on DVD.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    From what bit of googling I have done it appears magic is either low or nonexistant. There appear to be dragons forthcoming, I assume perhaps there may be other fantasy creatures but I have yet to locate a bestiary.

[image=http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westeros_Maps/map_of_westeros.jpg]

There are other continents besides this.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Magic is viewed as largely myth and tricks, but it exists.

Looking forward to this, though I probably won't watch until a few episodes are out (and the new book has arrived. :p)

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    the books are pretty badass.

got a bad feeling about the teevee version, tho

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Visually this is very impressive.

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Don't know what a purist will think of it, but I thought it is was pretty good. Never boring and had me wondering what was going on or what would happen next. Already enjoying some of the characters. Good start.

And I pretty much knew when I first saw them together that the queen and her brother were skrewing.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just saw it. Glorious. Some alterations and misplaced scenes, but I don't care. Stellar adaptation.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Tyrion. Is. Awesome. Love that little guy.

11. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    A little too graphic for my taste, but all around awesome. Now I want to read the books.

12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Incest, awesome

13. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I came in here to say that.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Since I and everyone I discuss this stuff with read these books 5-10 years ago it's quite cool to see people that have no idea what's coming. :)

I'm guessing we're spoilers free (for the TV show only obviously) in here?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, let's do that, since the Amph is being inconsiderate. :p

Luna: Books are just as graphic. Also, it's HBO. :p

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, the books are plenty graphic. I just started Game of Thrones early last week, and now am midway or so through Clash of Kings... and more than a few times I've had the thought "HBO's going to love that scene".

The books are awesome, and I'll check out the show when I can. I don't get HBO though, and have no interest in the channel, so it'll have to be online or some other method.

18. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I watched this show and enjoyed it.

I liked specifically:

1) the giant sword
    2) the little girl (not like that) hitting the bullseye
    3) the little boy's (not like that) precocity
    4) the hooker's boobs and the blond girl's butt and hips (like that)
    5) the imp (not like that)
    6) the teen girl acting like a teen girl (not like that)

and generally:

1) everything else. I could go into it, but I'm not going to write a long post that nobody reads.

I'm excited for this show.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Could anyone give me a gauge of how far they got in this episode? I'm curious as to how the pacing's going down, considering how gigantic the books are.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They got to the Jaime/Cersei scene, with Bran climbing

21. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I never read the books. The T.V. show looks interesting. I don't have HBO may have to catch it on Hulu.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    How quickly do episodes go up on hulu for most shows? I've used it on occasion, but not frequently.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think HBO full episodes go up on Hulu.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Fairly certain HBO doesn't participate in hulu, holmes.

Might I suggest A Song of Fire and Ice, by George RR Martin?

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Thought I'd seen somewhere that this was going to be on hulu, but I could be mistaken. Or it could have been a mistake wherever that was mentioned.