main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Game] THE GREAT DEBATE

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Souderwan, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    THE GREAT DEBATE!!

Welcome to the first-ever TF.N International Debating Competition! I am your humble *snicker* host. Throughout these competitions, you may address me either as â??Mr. Moderatorâ?? (to distinguish me from the more erudite and brightly colored individuals of the same name that frequent the Senate) or as Souderwan, if you prefer.

The purpose of this competition is to seek out and reward the very best of our debaters here on the boards and where better to settle such a question than here in the vaunted Senate Arena? The debate truly is international and the topics we will select will represent the globalized world in which we live, though there will be a slight leaning toward western-centric topics. All are invited to participate and there will be rewards for successful debaters.

THE RULES

General

1. Each debater will sign up at the beginning of debating season by adding his/her name to the list provided by Mr. Moderator. A â??Seasonâ?? is one complete game.

2. Mr. Moderator will randomly assign each player an opponent and a topic. The player in the â??proâ?? or â??conâ?? position will also be assigned randomly, though Mr. Moderator retains the right to reassign from random selections for the benefit of the game.

3. A â??Debateâ?? will be defined as the period during which a pair of players square off during a 2 hr period (explained below).

4. A â??Roundâ?? will be defined as the period during which all assigned pairs complete their debates and a winner is declared.

5. Depending on the number of participants in the game, a bracketed system will be employed with enough rounds of debating within a Season to declare an â??Ultimate Debaterâ??.

6. Each Debate winner in a given round will be awarded a temporary VIPship for no less than 24 hrs but no more than 72 hrs, depending on the Round in which the debate is won. Each debate loser will be given a 24 hr game ban.

7. â??The Ultimate Debaterâ?? will win 2 weeks of VIPship and be given the title â??The Ultimate Debaterâ?? until he a new winner achieves the title in a subsequent Season.

The Debate

1. 48 hrs prior to a Debate during a Round, the players will be notified via PM and the upcoming debate posted in this thread. The players will be notified as to what the topic is and which position they are tasked to take.

2. Players may decline one debate invitation without penalty but declining a second invitation will result in disqualification. This does not include declining due to an inability to participate during the period that the debate is to take place. Each player is encouraged to notify Mr. Moderator of the timeframe in which s/he is available to participate.

3. Each Debate will run for two hours at the maximum. Each player will be given the opportunity to make an opening post, not to exceed 1000 words, defining his/her position.

4. Following this, the players will be allowed a period of up to 30 mins for rebuttal. This may be done through back and forth posting. Mocking of poorly made arguments is encouraged and will be awarded extra points.

5. The debate will conclude with a Q&A session, led by Mr. Moderator, who will ask the players questions on the topic.

6. The winner for each debate will be selected by Mr. Moderator, with input from â??The Audienceâ??. The Audience may voice their opinions throughout the debate but only votes sent by PM to Souderwan will be considered. Mr. Moderator retains a 51% percent vote. Objections to Mr. Moderatorâ??s decision will be acknowledged and subsequently ignored. Should sufficient dissent over Mr. Moderatorâ??s decision-making come to the fore, a debate concerning his faculties will be considered as a future topic.

7. Mr. Moderator will, during the course of a debate, assign or subtract points to players (at his whim) based on the quality of the debaterâ??s post. â??Qualityâ?? is defined as any or all of the following: evidence, logical consis

2. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Season 1 Signups:

3. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Sounds like fun.

1. Hammurabi

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I am so going to regret this. :p

So is the loser gamebanned, or is the public mockery and eternal archiving of their abysmal failure enough?

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia

5. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    No. No game bans. The shame and disappointment alone of being identified as nothing more than a strawman should be punishment enough. :p

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray

You will all soon be grovelling at my feet of intellect!!!

7. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I want in.

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    4. Jedi_Johnson

8. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    :confused:

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Mr. Moderator loses points for inconsistency.

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello

11. Lord_BlackAdder

Lord_BlackAdder Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 14, 2003

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello
    6. Lord_BlackAdder

12. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello
    6. Lord_BlackAdder
    7. Jansons_Funny_Twin

You are virran! VIRRAN!

13. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    EDIT: Double-post. Stupid laptop.

You are virran! VIRRAN!

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I want colors for posting smart!

1. Hammurabi
    2. ophelia
    3. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    4. Jedi_Johnson
    5. Jello
    6. Lord_BlackAdder
    7. Jansons_Funny_Twin
    8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Is there a special bonus round where we face off against K_K, KW, malkie, or E_S?

15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    & I looze points already 4 being unabble 2 reed. :(

16. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Kind of a "Test your might" Mortal Kombat-style thing?

17. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Exactly.

Then we can go against you in philosophy to unlock the ultra special super debate.

And it has to be in German, too.

18. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Gern geschehen. ;)

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [image=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c0/250px-W3ftpc044.jpg]

You are not prepared!

E_S

20. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I would say "Don't make me go Arthas on your ass", but Arthas was a *****.

Now Malfurion! There's a man...er, night elf. I mean, I don't remember gathering any "Malfurion's Tears." No no! It is Arthas who is the little crybaby *****.

You are virran! VIRRAN!

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Apologies, all. I was very tired this morning and didn't read my own rules. :p

Yes. Losers get a 24 hr game ban. If that confusion leads you to want to drop out of the competition, please let me know either here or via PM.

22. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    24 hour ban?

*yawn*

Sonny, there's an award in the EUC called the "Jifty Award", formally "The 'Most Likely To Be Banned For Nothing' Award".

BRING IT! FOR KHAZ MODAN!

You are virran! VIRRAN!

23. Mr_Moderator

Mr_Moderator Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2007
    At this time, I'd like to solicit topics to be added to the random topics pool, which is currently only 8-strong (therefore making it not very random). If there's a topic you'd like debated, PM me or Souderwan or you may post it here in this thread. There is no guarantee that your recommendation will be accepted, but feel free to offer it anyway.

Also, each contestant is encouraged to PM Souderwan (not me) what his/her available two-hour blocks are sooner, rather than later, so as to avoid you wasting your first refusal on something as silly as not being able to make the debate. ;)

24. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Intelligent Design: Science or Pseudoscience?

I'd like to observe this one for a change, instead of taking part.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    When'll the next round be to get in on?
    (I'm in tasmania for a week so i knew I'd be out of any activity soon)

For topic help, do you want just topics, or resolutions that have an affirmative/negative stance to take?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.