main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Where are you getting your info? Did you rate popularity by the amount of TV coverage?

The facts are that the game is more exciting for the fans and the players are better off since the last lockout. More teams are competitive. Also hockey in general is on the rise with more and more kids around the world playing because more communities are getting facilities.

Like I said before, this lockout is not like the last one. There are far fewer issues to be worked out. There will be a regular season although shorter(which is not bad for everyone) and the playoffs will happen in 2013. The NHL has more TV deals already in place than they did in 2006.

Hockey is on the rise and will keep rising with or without an NHL this season. So in the long run this is barely a bump in the road. Anyone who tells you different is sensationalizing to sell papers or get more hits(shocking).

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think she may have been referring to the '94 lockout, when the NHL was starting to gain popularity and the lockout did set back progress. This Sports Illustrated cover from June 20, 1994 says it all:

[​IMG]

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

4. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    My mom's already getting sick of me moaning about no hockey. (She's not a fan)

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Goodbye Islanders. As a ranger fan I laugh. But as a newish Long Island resident I'm disgusted. The lighthouse project would have been awesome and kept the team. This is a case of Nassau County sucking.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I call this months ago, and Zaz / Nevermind thought I was nuts.

It sucks for Nassau County, but is probably a good thing for the franchise.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That new arena is going to be state of the art. The guy who owns the Nets is fricking loaded. I see this as a super break for the franchise.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    LOL, like the Islanders actually think there'll be a league in 2015 with the way the work stoppage is going.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    o_O

Really?

11. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    The Islanders suck. Your goalie can't even scratch his nose without breaking it! ;)

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Absolutely clueless about the current state of what was once my favorite team in all of sports, but always nice to remember happier times.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I didn't know you were such a Flyers fan. They are doing well, apart from not having a season, currently.

14. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    As far as today's CBA dealings, NGL, "I have a bad feeling about this."

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What dealings? AFAIK the NHL and NHLPA have no meetings scheduled even though today is the deadline to salvage an 82 game season.

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Fehr wants the season to be cancelled for some reason. Both sides already agreed on a 50/50 split make it happen jeez I want hockey back seriously.

17. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    You and me both, my friend.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I really felt the effects of the lockout last Saturday. I just kept thinking "Something isn't right today" and realized Hockey Night in Canada wasn't on. For me these days, Saturday night is sometimes the only night in the week that I can actually watch hockey.

20. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    At least the Steelers kicked some serious ass today. (Although those uniforms are fugly as HELL)

The local sports channel that broadcasts Penguins games is showing vintage games on the original schedule, so at least there's that. (It's kind of cool, actually) It's not quite the same thing, but at least I get my fix, plus I get to hear the local commentators. (Steigerwald and Errey can be annoying, yes, but they're still MY annoying, if you know what I mean)

Seriously, I will not be surprised if the next time Bettman's at a game, in addition to being booed people throw things at him. Why is this man still in charge?

[​IMG]

21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Kicking him in the nuts would only slow things more. Wait til he's done then kick him. But not in the nuts. Only sexual predators deserve that.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry, Guinastasia, that rational just doesn't work for Staggy and Errey. Give me Mike Lange, please.

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I love Lange as much as anyone. But he's not on TV. :( (However, when the game is on Versus, I'll sometimes mute the TV and put the radio on so I can listen to him and Phil Bourque. Yeah!)

Anyone's better than Doc Emerick and Pierre McGuirre. And I hate having to listen to Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick. UGH!!!! Both of them can DIAF.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Lange really should be back on tv. But, I will not subject myself to needless ramblings of Staggy and Errey. If I'm really feeling a Pens withdraw, that's what YouTube on mute is for.

I actually don't mind Emerick that much. I really don't like McGuirre and Milbury, but I think that's how just about everybody feels. :p

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't care what anyone says Pierre is awesome. :p But how could anyone not like Doc?? He's like the only good American hockey broadcaster.