main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania General Hypocracy Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    Ender, act your damn age, your continual baiting to simply get into an argument is unbecoming to someone such as yourself who claims to be mature and educated.

2. Darth-Tom

Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2001
    damn and here i was thinking 24 is young???

i'm 23, does that mean it's all over for me next year?? :(

For what it's worth age and wisdom never seem to be relative.

p.s - i find that the people who like to claim that they're 'educated' are usually the ones who completely missed the point.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    The behaviour of the Redfurn rioters is grossly unacceptable, and proof enough that those involved were moronic thrill seekers trying to gain some sort of quasi-phallic power trip by fighting "the Man". Some old granny interviewed with a bandana around her face (how bloody ridiculous) claimed that she would "lead these kids to their deaths for the glory of her people."

This is what we are seeing here people. A suburb where most people have nothing to look foward to, no employment, no lives beyond hanging out on street clothing, no pride except in their mates and stylised bloodline, who've decided to take an unrelated tragedy and turn it into a crusade. A crusade brings meaning to their day, brings a purpose to their lives, and they've trivilised the tragic circumstance of a young man's death so they can get their thrills by assaulting innocent police officers doing their job, vandalise property and turn our civilised society into a pale mockery of Australian ethics and values.

What disgusted me even more than the gross number of police casualties was the paucity of arrests. Four arrests? I would of put a curfew over the whole town and went door to door until everyone of the ringleaders was put behind bars where the ill-informed, drug addled rhetoric can't infect the minds of the redfern youth any longer.

Before the body can recover and thrive, it is important we cut out all of the cancer. Redfern will only see more of the same for as long as Police aren't empowered to prosecute to the nth degree those who would cause such civic disorder.

4. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    I heard the police were going through news video footage in an attempt to arrest known offenders?
    We can go on all we like about how they must feel oppressed and waiting for the urge to strike out against "the man" as you put it.
    But I agree it's disgusting. Wherever that young boy who died now is, I'm sure this is not how he'd want his family and friends to be reminded of him.

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Didn't the kid break an AVO and that's why the police were after him?

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    The police maintain that they weren't chasing the boy, AFAIK. They're unlikely to change that story unless new evidence comes to light.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And here I was, PoT, expecting you to recite Franz Fanon's mantra about violence, being employed by the oppressed against the oppressors, always being just... ;)

I don't care what the kid did or didn't do; nothing justifies a riot. Nothing. Not WTO or War in [Insert third world nation here]. Nothing.

E_S

8. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I agree wholeheartedly with the latter part of your post and am continually frustrated by the former as it shows people still expect me to break into marxist song at any moment.

For the record, no, I do not believe violence is justified, excepting in extreme cases of self-defense and inasmuch, when the State (through it's Policing force) is in a position to defend the community by means of force.

I hope every single one of the idiots trying to get a bit of a thrill from assaulting police officers have the time behind bars to reflect on their actions and hopefully through the morass of simpleton logic, perhaps glean some sense of regret from it, lest they never become anything of use or value to society.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    continually frustrated by the former as it shows people still expect me to break into marxist song at any moment.

Diddums. :p

Come on, you used to be so much more radical, we're allowed to not let you forget that. Please play fairly. ;)

Could be worse; you could be left and then swing ultra-right... Not that it'd happen in FF Oceania... [face_mischief]

E_S

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Kilz al nonwhites! I just red a websight about eugenics and itz al tru11!1 !

11. letsburn00

letsburn00 Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2004
    (yeah I know you were kidding but you brought up eugenics an area I always found interesting, and no I'm not complaining about word usage etc (except where it actually matters I never really understood why people complain about grammer on boards))

The interesting thing about human eugenics (I don't think anyone has issues with the of sheep,cattle etc, especially with australia built on the merinos and steer(chops,yum yum) trade)the fact that it is so often it is mis-applied/named(not by you, but by certain ****ers who still claim it is a viable idea, despite it being mostly disproven from the "superman" experiments . not to mention to human cost would make it impossible in all but the most controlling 1984'esc societies).

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/eugenics
    it's interesting to look at the differing biological and Webster's definition, they might look similar, but they are in fact very different. Apparently (I'm not even vaugely knowledgable on the subject, but eh I don't think anyone expects a peer reviewed thesis,lol) it was more interesting that during the NAZI era, the biological definition was claimed as eugenics. (for their political/government/society the definition of desired holds).

Of course most people find the idea of being highly controlled as a symptom of opression, and being controlled in that private an aspect of your life about as off as you get. It's probably a side effect of being raised post WWII that I find the whole idea disgusting, yet the lens of history always does show up interesting perceptions at the time.(It was too long ago that i studied germany 1933-45 for me too remember much of it, sorry).

Sorry for being annoying about nothing, I just read a word and I'm kind of bored while reading through some of the board and felt like saying a little about something few probably care about. This post was dead almost 2 months anyway, though the shifting of discussions even furthur from it's original purpose would make an interesting mathematical/psycology study,lol(It's funny that this one was started talking about a show about male strippers)

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You made an entire post about eugenics without once mentioning the mustard seed law. For shame! ;)

E_S

13. letsburn00

letsburn00 Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2004
    Oh yes, my apologies *puts hand to head in hyper-melodromatic way and gasps* :)

14. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    13 detained in Tiananmen Square
    16:27 AEST Fri Jun 4 2004

AP - Police kept China's symbolic heart of Tiananmen Square free of demonstrators, detaining at least 13 people while activists abroad marked the 15th anniversary of the deadly attack on pro-democracy protesters and pressed their demands for political change.

The detained middle-aged men and women were apprehended in twos and threes in separate incidents throughout the morning in Tiananmen Square.

Reporters couldn't see why they were dragged to waiting vans by police, but security forces were trying to block public commemorations for people killed in the military crackdown.

The square was open to the public and hundreds of tourists with their children were strolling under a light sprinkling of rain.

Though extra guards were on duty, security was relatively light compared with other politically sensitive dates.

Troops from the paramilitary People's Armed Police dozed aboard two parked buses. Security agents in civilian clothes moved among the crowds.

Since the June 4, 1989, military assault that killed hundreds, and possibly thousands, in the vast plaza, communist leaders have made many changes demanded by the dissidents, scrapping rules dictating where Chinese could work and whom they could marry.

A decade of stunning economic growth has also given millions new choices in life.

But the closed, secretive ruling party that crushed the protests still permits no independent political activity and has jailed or driven into exile most of China's active dissidents.

In advance of the anniversary, Chinese authorities had detained activists and relatives of people killed in 1989 or ordered them out of Beijing as early as last week.

Broadcasts of CNN to hotels and apartment compounds for foreigners in the Chinese capital were blacked out repeatedly when the network showed reports on the crackdown.

In contrast to the quiet in Beijing, veterans of the protests and other activists commemorated the deaths with vigils, marches and hunger strikes in Hong Kong, Washington and Taipei.

In Hong Kong, thousands of people were expected to attend a candlelight vigil.

The anniversary is especially emotional for the former British territory because Beijing recently ruled out full democracy there, stirring fears that it is losing the freedoms and autonomy promised when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

In Washington, a veteran of the demonstrations was in the midst of a fast outside the Chinese Embassy that began on Tuesday.

"We should not just sit and wait for change. We've been waiting for 15 years and it hasn't happened," said Liu Junguo. "We will probably change our approach."

The 1989 protests drew tens of thousands of people to the heart of Beijing to demand a more open political system and an end to official corruption.

The violent government response plunged Beijing into international isolation and set off an upheaval in Chinese politics.

Zhao Ziyang, the Communist Party general secretary, was dismissed after losing a power struggle, and still lives under house arrest 15 years later. Jiang Zemin, a former Shanghai party leader, was plucked from obscurity by then-supreme leader Deng Xiaoping to succeed Zhao and went on to lead China through a decade of stunning economic growth before retiring as president last year.

"Fifteen years has marked tremendous progress economically, but still the biggest obstacle is political," Wu'er Kaixi, a protest leader who survived the 1989 assault, said by phone from the United States.

Beijing is still trying to repair remaining damage abroad from the bloodshed, lobbying the European Union to lift a ban on weapons sales to China imposed after the crackdown.

Communist leaders are experimenting with what they call "village democracy."

Non-partisan local elections let tens of millions of Chinese pick officials for low-level posts, though winners are required to carry out policies made by unelected figures higher up.

President Hu Jintao, who took power last year, has called for

15. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    If they follow precedent, then their relatives can expect a 13 cent bill for the bullets used to kill them.

Bastards.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    13c now, is it?

I thought it used to be 7c for 7.62mm?

Inflation in China is a killer... [face_plain]

E_S

17. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Inflation in China is a killer...

Nah, that's the 7.62mm. :p

Sorry, tasteless joke.

b4k4^2

18. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I can't remember the exact cost of the bullets at the time, but for some reason I thought it was 13c.

Not exactly an important point in the context of things.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually, it was 7c US... So we were both right sorta

E_S

20. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have some hypocrisy to vent ...

One of my female housemates is dating a guy, who she says she loves very much. Yet, every other week, she meets some new guy, goes out with him, and then spends many hours late at night with the other female housemate giggling and talking about how cute he is and how much she likes him, and then struggling to decide which guy she wants to see and which one not to see - while still dating her "boyfriend" and keeping all of this from him.

Now correct me if I'm wrong - but if a guy was doing that, wouldn't he be castrated on the spot?

21. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Only if he was caught. ;)

Edit: I should clarify that I hope it'd be the same for a girl. If she gets caught by her boyfriend (the long-term one) I hope the guy dumps her flat on her arse, she deserves it. Women shouldn't be able to get away with it any more than men can.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but women will maintain an open double standard and then moderately surprised and annoyed if you dare to question them on it. It's called "liberation", or "political correctness" if you translate from the BS.

E_S

23. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I've encountered that. The Wom*n's group (yes, they censor it themselves) at Monash is...vocal. And militant. And not exactly representative of the rest of the female student body, who are quite happy to maintain their upper hand through sexual manipulation.

24. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Are they lobbying to change the name of walkman to walkperson? :D

25. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Wouldn't surprise me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.