main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas is Retiring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

to your first sentence, whats the difference?

and you saying people that laugh at car crashes are NOT idiots? :confused:

2. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i don't know, maybe they're retarded. i've never seen anyone laugh at a car crash so that seems like a rather useless example. and as to my first sentance, southpark is a show on television. it is generated for the purposes of satire and entertainment. car crashes are typically accidents and little to no thought is put in making them happen.

3. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    then tell me cuz I'm really interested to know, how is a bunch of guys in an office saying "i've got a great idea Bert, lets show Speilberg and Lucas sodomising each other *beavis and butthead laughter*" any way near thought out?

4. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    it isn't. never said it was. it's a meme, people know about it. they used it on their 'show', which as a work of satire, is typically rather well thought out. do you regularly watch the program in question?

5. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    on whether I watch the shows in general, I've seen enough to know that I find both rather needlessly offensive,

anyway, what I was saying is that the poster was saying he said people were watching that particular episode because they found it funny, I'm disagreeing by saying a lot probably watched to see how shocking they could go or most were wondering what all the fuss was about.

6. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    are you a 40 year old woman?

7. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    what does my age and sex got to do with the topic at hand?

anyway, like Anakinfansince1983, I don't see the point of continuing this rather pointless conversation,

until someone has anything relevant to add to this disscussion I'm out.

[face_peace]

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [image=http://www.afpt.co.uk/media/image/blogs/richard/vic___bob_handbags.jpg]

No need to sling around names and generalisations people. Sistros has every right to find certain animated sitcoms needlessly offensive and tasteless and have an opinion on why people watch them.

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    You know, this topic should be about Lucas retiring, seems to be moving away from that in a bad direction.

10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

Edit: I think in conclusion what I have to say is enjoy the retirment Lucas, at the end of the day you created Star Wars, the reason why we are all here, and no my enjoy retirment wasn't direct or subtle hit.

11. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    i only ask because it seems that what with the world being the way it is today, most people i know don't find southpark to be "needlessly offensive" unless they are a 40 year old woman or tom hanks or someone else that southpark has offended personally in some way. that being said, i do know forty year old women who do watch and enjoy southpark so i was just trying to gather some information for my own personal research. after all, that's what this is all about, isn't it?

but yes, back to the topic at hand. george lucas retires. hmmmm...
    that's odd isn't it? i mean, really. we have many famous directors that have garnered their fair amount of respect over the years. speilberg and scorsese come to mind. also, neither of them are 'retired' or retiring for that matter. what directors have retired in the first place? typically directors don't retire, they die. and then when they're dead they're done. or they just stop making movies. making an announcement about retiring seems to be a rather pointless effort and perhaps just an excuse for lucas to gather attention/sympathy/pity... who knows? but it is a little weird, right? i'm just saying.

furthermore, the whole criticism of his business doesn't have to be a personal matter. he just fell off, man. i caught an interview that david letterman did with han solo before the movie Indiana Jones Meets the Aliens came out. what he said really stuck with me. letterman asked him exactly what it was that lucas provided to the films. solo responded that "george provides the 'mcguffin' for the movies". they all had a laugh because let's face it, mcguffin is a funny word. but it really hit me when he said that that what george lucas does is finds the seeds for great ideas. he's good at it. but he's kind of a lousy gardner. i mean, let's face it, movies aren't the work of a single man or woman. they're collaborations that have input from multiple sources and arise successfully through compromise. imagine if lucas was working as director on ESB and han did his whole "i know" line. lucas might have chuckled at it and given the actor a pat on the shoulder, but in the end he most likely would've requested that han say his line as he was supposed to and just go on with the rest of the movie. now sure, han couldn've told leia "i love you too, hunny-bunny.". but that isn't our han. harrison ford had a feeling for the character, improvised, and the director loved it. he realized that this moment became a realization of the true character and that that character needed to be realized.

what i'm saying with all of that is, many people like ESB and ROTJ the best. i don't have polls or facts or figures, but i have friends. i have friends that like star wars and talk about it, who have friends that talk about it and so on. maybe i'm wrong about which star warses are the best, statistically. but then again, maybe i'm not. and the facts dictate that ESB and ROTJ were the movies where lucas provided the "mcguffin" and then decided to step back. and in so doing, he created fabulous films that were utterly timeless and loved by millions. then the re-issues happened... i can get over whatever they did to ESB and star wars, they're not ruined or detracted in any major way. but those new musical numbers in Return of the Jedi are downright cringeworthy. really. they're bad, m'kay? and why did they need to happen? you've made great movies, george! people loved your work! so you went back and reneged? whyfor?

and then there's the idea of revisions. speilberg made "revisions" to E.T. when it was released, listened to the reviews, and put it back. sure you can get the revised edition of E.T. if you're really worried about your kids seeing guns in the hands of federal agents or you really loved that eliot and e.t. in the bathroom scene. but you can also get the original theatrical version that you grew up loving and have a nostalgic attachment to. EVERYBODY WINS!!!

i don't have a problem with lucas, never did really. but i think that the dude needs to know his role. he made great movies. we

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Hmmm quite...

If you like South Park fine. I like the early stuff myself, but think it has progressively gotten worse since about season 6-7. But I can clearly see what Sistros is saying about the episode he has in mind. It does not mean that he has some sort of vendetta against South Park because it poked fun at him somehow, or that he is a prude for not liking it. That's his business.

13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I would tell you why I find it offensive, but I'd probably get ridiculed and mocked for it, something I don't come on an internet forum for.

however people can watch it as much as they like, i'm not out there in the street with banners trying to get them cancelled or anything.

and now this has really gone off topic, so again Lucas thanks for STAR WARS

14. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    i'm pretty sure i put it back on topic with my following five paragraphs which everyone seems loathe to quote. but that's fine, i don't care for being quoted on an internet forum.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm afraid the final word on a subject isn't as easily decided as saying "But I put the thread back on topic." Not to mention there is an irony behind coming back to complain about people derailing the thread again while being off topic yourself.

But as you say, Lucas in retirement. End of an era, for better or worse and what not.

16. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005

17. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I really think Lucas has a touch of OCD

heres why:

I think he views the O-OT as dirty, something that needs to be cleaned, but no matter how much he changes them, to him they are still dirty, so what happens when you obsessively clean something? you damage the product.

the same thing with another symptom:

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think he is artistically a perfectionist and may be a perfectionist in his personal life as well, but I hesitate to label him with OCD.

Does make me want to pull out that Lucas bio that my brother gave me several years ago and re-read it.

19. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    As an OCD sufferer, and as long as you're not a fellow OCD sufferer (which it seems to me you're not), you better take that back or I'll report you. You have no idea what having OCD is like.

20. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Sistros not an OCD sufferer? Sistros has one of the worst cases of OCD in someone I've met with it in my entire life. He suffers with it on a regular basis and I've seen him have battles with it that cause him great strife and pain.

Please do not troll or make threats when you have no idea about somebody else, nor should you make presumptions as you have, since you are asking for a fight.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    May I suggest, user to user, that none of us try to be armchair psychiatrists? [face_peace]

22. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Who is being an armchair psychiatrist? There is nothing wrong with Sistros bringing up an idea stemming form an observation he made and comparing it form something he suffers.

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    thank you for your posts JM [:D] MUCH APPRECIATED.

And JM is right, I wasn't bashing the guy, I was merely stating that Lucas has similar traits to me,

I wash myself till I bleed sometimes, I was saying it seems to me (notice I didn't state a fact) that's what he is doing with the films.

24. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    Then I shall apologize. But I do take heart on making a comparsion about that illness with a light heart regarding to the same, or using it to justify the actions of someone he doesn't even remotely know. It comes across as tactless and OCD doesn't stop at dirtyness. That is all.

25. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

and I know that OCD does not stop at dirtiness, I've a whole load of symptoms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.