main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gift of the Crimson Flower (Qui, Obi) Complete Vignette 1/27/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Please read the summary and note to understand what this is and why I wrote it. :)

TITLE: GIFT OF THE CRIMSON FLOWER
    AUTHOR: Cascadia
    TIME: 7 years pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 18
    RATING: PG
    CATEGORY: Drama, Non-Slash
    SUMMARY: A missing scene from my fic, Remnants in the Mind, set immediately before the epilogue - where Obi-Wan is in the meditation chamber. That story can be found at fanfiction.net This may not make a lot of sense unless you've read it.
    NOTE: I wanted to make it clear what flower it was that Qui-Gon gave his padawan. The clues were there, but I should have had this little scene to make it clear.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask first. Sites who have previously archived any of my stories may archive any of them that they want to without asking.
    DISCLAIMER: All recognizable characters are the property of Lucasfilm Limited. All the rest belong to me. I receive no profit from this.

GIFT OF THE CRIMSON FLOWER
    (a missing scene from 'Remnants in the Mind')

It had only bloomed this evening, its velvety crimson petals shyly peeling back to open to the twilit sky overhead. Just as in the Eroleen Gardens on Rymie, the pale splendor of its large pistil glowed with a lovely pink luminosity against the shadows of night where it sat hidden in the corner of the balcony.

He knelt beside it, eyes the shade of sapphire gemstones roaming over the young Sandriffa flower. This had been the seed that had been given to him by the Premier of Rymie. Now in its blooming stage, it easily rivaled any exotic flora imported to the Core.

Ignoring the chilly wind that sifted through his robe, he picked up the blue glazed pot that he had bought in a merchant shop on the same planet. The plant had taken nine months to sprout and bloom after he had planted the seed, but it was just as beautiful as those that it had been taken from.

But Obi-Wan would not remember.

Not after the mental invasion that had taken place. Not after the padawan's mind had been ravaged, leaving him only partially physically mobile and his most immediate memories . . . lost.

Recovery had been difficult . . . and was ongoing.

He remembered how the boy had looked hours ago, how frustration had rolled off of him in tidal waves. How Obi-Wan had held his tongue when words of impatient anguish warred to pass lips pressed tightly together.

"Obi-Wan," he had said, infusing his baritone voice with as much tenderness as he could. "It will all come back . . . in time."

Then those luminous eyes that gleamed like a tropical sea had darkened, the pale skin that surrounded them flushing charmingly despite the solemnity of the situation.

"I doubt that, Master," the cultured voice had replied in all seriousness, while slender hands tangled in the dark folds of his robe.

Qui-Gon had touched the young shoulder, drawing the boy's gaze and smiling in reassurance. "Never doubt that the Force has a way, young padawan. You *will* remember everything that was taken from you. And you will be stronger than you ever were before."

Something akin to hope had glimmered in Obi-Wan's eyes before full lashes swept down to conceal it.

Qui-Gon snipped the crimson bloom from its sturdy stem and stood, gazing down at the fragile beauty in his large hands. Its light in the darkness pooled in his palms. Its scent entranced him and stirred images of glittering dripping frost, a crisp carpet of snow, and the fateful encounter at the garden tower when Obi-Wan's anger at him came to an abrupt halt after words were spoken in complete sincerity.

It was a harrowing time. But a time that also held clues to an evil man's identity.

A man that Obi-Wan could not remember.

Would possibly . . . never remember, according to healers.

The padawan always meditated in the same chamber on the mezzanine level late each night before retiring to bed. It was a habit that he engaged in, fervently entreating the Force for complete restoration, under the comfort of shimmering stars.

Tonight would be

2. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
  3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Have time enough only to say: "Great story." :D I'll say more when I get back. I just wanted to get you off your misery as soon as possible... just kidding, of course. ;)

EDIT: I suppose "Great vignette" would be more appropriate. 8-}

Aunecah

4. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Lovely, CAS - a great blend of melancholy and hope - and sweet tenderness, Master to apprentice. And you should do more than 'consider' a sequel. :)

CYN

5. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I was so surprised and pleased to find this addition to Remnants . It was beautifully written in the same tradition as the original story. Now the flower takes on a whole new meaning. The first two stories were so wonderful that I certainly hope you do more than consider a sequel. :)

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( Yes we must have a sequel! Wonderful!

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    WHAT a pleasant surprise, Cas!!!

:D

Just beyond beautiful. Every word was perfect and fluid and.... *sighs with awe*

This was just remarkably good. I loved it very, very much.

Sequel? Sequel?!

**dances uncontrollably**

8. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Aunecah :D Thanks! You helped alleviate my misery. ;)

CYN Thanks! I always love hearing your comments. [face_love] And what I meant was I'm still trying to come up with a storyline for a sequel. I'd love to do one, but I need to have an idea first. :)

Sheila Thanks! :D I didn't know if story behind the flower was too subtle for most readers to remember that it was the same flower from a few chapters back.

obi_ew Thanks! :D

LE Thanks! I'm so pleased you liked it. [face_love]

9. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
  10. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Here's an up for ya, Cas.

An amazing thing like this shouldn't be allowed to fall too far. ;)

11. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Great emotion **sigh**

You can feel the hurt, fear and compassion.

Lovely.

I'm all for a sequel to "Remnants".

12. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Nice addition Cas, it does add just that perfect little bit more to your closing post on Remnants. I loved it!

Great job. Just happened to pop in and saw this, had to check it out. Glad I did :) Catch you later.

--Shan

13. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    LE Here's an up for ya, Cas. An amazing thing like this shouldn't be allowed to fall too far.

[face_blush] Thank you!

*^*
    Jovieve Great emotion **sigh** You can feel the hurt, fear and compassion. Lovely. I'm all for a sequel to "Remnants".

[face_love] Thanks! Remnants will have a sequel if I come up with a good storyline. And don't worry. It probably will. :)

*^*
    Shan Nice addition Cas, it does add just that perfect little bit more to your closing post on Remnants. I loved it! Great job. Just happened to pop in and saw this, had to check it out. Glad I did Catch you later.

Thank you! I'm glad you caught it here. :D I'll probably post the sequel here at TFN too.

14. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    I very much enjoyed your addition to an already wonderful story Cascadia! Keep up the amazing writing. I look forward to reading more of it.

15. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    *^*
    NyghtFyre I very much enjoyed your addition to an already wonderful story Cascadia! Keep up the amazing writing. I look forward to reading more of it.

[face_blush] Thanks! I hope to continue this storyline in the future. :D

16. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Just want to let those who have been reading the Silent Shattering/Remnants in the Mind(Maybe I need to come up with an overall name for this story. Any suggestions?) storyline know that I thought of an idea of how to continue it a few night ago. I'll get started on it after I finish my other fic, Breath of Night. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.