main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive GM Training Game Thought, or Alternate GMing Concept

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hmm, I definitely like the sound of this. If you need a hand, you can count me in.

On the era setting, though, I'm not exactly fond of the concept of going hundreds of years into the future. Past is okay, plenty of empty spaces in there, but unless you're specifically trying to train GMs to create and run brand new universes from scratch and account for technological advances and everything from the known EU likely having become obsolete already, it just seems like something that might become more troublesome than it is helpful. 3,000 - 2,000 BBY is mostly empty, and there's not a whole lot between 1,000 BBY and 100 BBY either, so we're not exactly lacking preexisting blank eras.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As a player/GM, LI? It'd be excellent to have you along. :D

3. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Sure, count me in.

Also, here's a thought. This is going to be a small-cast game, correct? Most successful ongoing games out there, I don't think are galaxy-spanning epic wars and battles. So, what about making this a fringe setting? The GM learns to handle a small or medium-sized group working together, and there's little difficulty with having to find room to stick in armies of Jedi and Sith whacking each other out all the time. Just steer clear of the EU's main storylines out on the Rim, and there shouldn't be much of a problem with going into the classic era.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    No, just set in the Fringe, and focusing primarily on the Rim regions. Obligatory Jedi and dark siders can come along at will. Say, in the time of the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant, where spies and plots are plentiful, the Praxeum is on the rise, Jedi are out doing good Kyle Katarn-style, and there's plenty of free room for fallen and rogue Jedi to run around as they wish, without necessarily causing a critical Sith overload.

6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ah, I see. Which also has a lot of EU baggage, like we said. Depends on the players, one supposes.

7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    A certain level of EU baggage isn't all that bad a thing, though, in my opinion. If we're including Jedi to train GMs to deal with Force-users, then they're probably also going to have to deal with navigating the intricacies of the EU at some point or another, unless they only ever go entirely AU or in giant era holes. By setting things in the Fringe with a fragmented galactic authority, unless the GM decides to have everyone go and run errands for Luke Skywalker or bring down the Remnant singlehandedly, skipping around the novels shouldn't be too hard.

8. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I´´ll be playing. And I vote for Classic Era!

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004

10. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I have made several commitments lately. I don´t know if my services will be needed in any of those, but until I know I am on hold for any further sign-ups. So consider me a big MAYHAPS on the contributor part, if you need me, Sinre.
    I hope you all agree that I don´t need GM training. I´ll always bw a crappy, player-killing nightmare of a GM :p

But do you actually need help with that, sinre?

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm meaner than you. I take out their eyes/limbs, shatter them mentally, and then kill their loved ones. Ask Winged or Sarge. :p

12. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    I don´t know, Sinre. Actually you are pretty much known as quite a gentle GM. And Fin killed two in a week and one of them probably cheated on Sarge with his wife :p If he kills a third char within´seven days, the Cruel GM throne might be pretty much his and painted red with character-blood [face_laugh] Even I hate Fin now. :mad:

I think SirakRomar might sign up, too as soon as she can post again. Can´t reach her right now.

13. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    No Sinre's plenty nasty. I swear I have rarely had to think so hard in a lightsaber duel as I did earlier in 11BBY. :p

14. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    I vote classic Era

15. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Nono, I´ll pass this one. I have no time for any further activity. Sorry.

And I have been promised private lessons, anyway. [face_laugh]

And please, people, stop provoking Fin. Or he´ll make his claim for the title undisputed by killing US ALL. :_|

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Mwhahaha! And the fun will increasing!

Either way, I can throw together concepts for all three, if it comes to it, so don't worry if we have a split amongst the players.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Here's some concepts I have in mind...

800 ABY - End Paradox

It has been over a century of violence since the Rebirth. Empire and Republic. Jedi and Sith. The Elect forced the Jedi from Coruscant decades ago, and they joined the Empire, increasing their influence to make it more democratic. But the Resol'nare, contracted to prevent Force users from taking over the Empire, resist, as the Senate slips away on Coruscant, subsumed by the Sith Council. As last vestiges of Empire resist the Jedi, and the remnants of democracy the Sith, the Revelation approaches - and the Six will be unveiled.

40 ABY - Legacy of the Force - Terror

The blockade of Corellia continues unabated, the death of Thrackan Sal-Solo causing the wheels of government to collapse. As the GA tighten the noose, Jacen Solo shifts his attention to the rebellious world of Atzerri, which is determined to free Corellia. Luke Skywalker puts into motion a risky strategy to bring Jacen back to the light, but as Coruscant collapses into Terror the government ails, preparing a retreat to Denon, a new and old foe is seeking to take advantage of the situation, and strikes hard in the sea of shifting politics...

(Takes place in the ten days between Bloodlines and Tempest. Has some cast requirements. ;))

3 ABY - SpecForce: Death Star

The second Death Star is en route to its new hiding place within the Outer Rim. Discovering a Rebel base on the heavily populated world of Drinba IV, the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader, redirects the Death Star to destroy the planet. Assembling a team of six SpecForce agents, the Rebellion dispatches a team to sabotage the Death Star's superlaser... before its too late.

500 BBY - University Wars

The newly opened University of Corellia has rapidly become a sea of intrigue under the autocratic government of King Solo. Unbeknown to them, six students of the school will decide the fate of the galaxy for the next three decades, as their childhood disputes infiltrate the upper echelons of society...

3,670 BBY - The Great War - Kanz Disorders

The Great War has raged for over eighty years, the Sith Empire grounding away at the Outer Rim, defeating the Republic entirely. The Jedi have devised a strategy to defeat the Sith, dispatching a task force of three Jedi to organise a revolution in the Kanz Sector, which has enslaved the Lorrdians for almost three centuries - and joined the Sith in betraying the Republic early on. As the Jedi make this attempt, the Sith dispatch three Sith to counter their enemies moves, knowing that control of Kanz will decide who controls the Hydian Way... and the Core...

Three are EU-centric, two are not. Of those two, one if movie-centric, and the other one is entirely off on its own limb. They're all very different games, to be fair, though the Great War has some similarities to the Paradox End scenario. Thoughts?

18. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I'm intrested, but i've Gmed many times before, mostly of TFN, double that of how many RPGs I'm played off and on TFN.

I was wondering if I could play. If not, fine.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You most certainly can, Hero, if you want to learn more. I've GM'd a few times, but still reckon I can learn, as well. If someone who hasn't GM'd at all comes up, though, between here and then, we might fiddle with things, that's all. That okay?

Cast

- Manager Candidates: Sinrebirth
    - Players: Hammurabi, DarthXan318, The_Loyal_Imperial, Sir_Draco, Hero_of_the_Force

20. Hero_Of_The_Force

Aug 22, 2008
    Yeah, it's ok. Thanks :]

21. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Hm, reading through the five concepts, I find them all rather narrow in their ways. I guess we could use something iwth a litle more freedom, couldn´t we? If I gotta choose it would definitivly be the Death Star part . . . and NOT AT ALL the LotF part, because I needed 15 pages to know I won´t waste my time on them.

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    All those seem about the same to me, save the 40 ABY one because I haven't read those novels and don't plan to. :p

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Hmm, yes, from that list, the Death Star one sounds to be the most appealing of the lot. Though, I must say, the descriptions read as very...Sinre. :p

24. Hero_Of_The_Force

Aug 22, 2008
    I like University Wars and the Death Star one. The Death Star one relates to my idea of an RPG, six Iquisitors under orders of Vader. Besides that, I don't mind either.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Opinions

3 ABY - Hero, Xan, Li, Draco
    500 BBY - Hero, Xan
    800 ABY - Xan
    3670 ABY - Xan
    40 ABY - NEVER!

Sinre did write them, Li. :p My blurb writing skills are still appalling. :p I think we're going to go with the Death Star mission, mayhaps, unless the others chime in with opinions by then. If we don't like any of these really, you're very welcome to put in your own concepts. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.