main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gd Rapids, MI Group Fanboys viewing???!!??

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by lovelucas, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    I propose that we converge - February 6th opening....
    or are there plans already to costume?

2. Count_Scoobith

Count_Scoobith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Sorry I've been out for a while....
    What is this about?

3. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Originally Fanboys was about a group of friends who find out one has cancer and may not live to see the theatrical release of Star War Episode 1. They concoct a plan to break into Lucasfilm to steal the film so he can see it.

Then the Weinsteen Company got their grubby little hands on it and decided teen movies should be vulgar and crude and made them do re-shoots and take out the cancer plot entirely so it was just stupid Star Wars fans who try to steal a movie. Real life Fanboys took to the internet and created enough demand that the original film will be the film released.

For a less biased ;) history see:
    http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2008/07/25/fanboys-triumphant-kevin-spacey-crashes-fan-movie-awards/

4. Count_Scoobith

Feb 11, 2004
    huh... didn't know that, thanks. :)

5. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    I saw a good chunk of it at Celebraton IV - the entire cast, writer, director and producer were all there for Q & A. They were great together - obviously a lot of shared talent, humor and love for Star Wars - and Kristen Bell wore a Slave Leia costume (not at Celebration!) - The audience was totally stoked, responsive and could hardly wait to see the entire film which unfortunately got kidnapped and held for ransom - it was originally suppose to come out in the autumn of 2006.
    George was totally supportive and even kicked in Skywalker sound etc. You'll also find these people in the film: Carrie Fisher, Kevin Smith, Ray Park, Seth Rogan, William Shatner, Billy Dee Williams, and lots of the 501st.

so....anyone else want to see it? That is, if Grand Rapids is even on the list of "limited release" cities.

6. Count_Scoobith

Feb 11, 2004
    Sounds good to me... :)

7. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    I'm checking with Celebration Cinema...

Would be terrific if GR actually does get this on its official premiere date but....might be stretching it, however I did see that poster indicating it's in queue to arrive

8. pretender

Mar 8, 2001
    I think "Celebration! Cinema Grand Rapids North", on Knapp and East Beltline gets a lot of "limited" movies. That's where we went to see "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" and where I think I'll have to go if I want to see "Slumdog Millionaire". Both were "art house" films.
    http://www.celebrationcinema.com/?pid=30002

It may be the best hope of having "Fanboys" opening day.

9. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    Fanboys isn't showing here on February 6th just in select cities.

10. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    Non-fanboy has seen it:

When Fanboys finally hits theaters it?ll be the end of a rather bumpy, protracted ride. The production earned the cooperation of Star Wars creator Lucas, allowing Newman to cleverly incorporate actual Star Wars sound effects. But after picking up the project in 2005, the Weinsteins ordered re-edits, which infuriated the Star Wars Diaspora, prompting boycott threats and online petition from fans, including some who donated their homemade costumes to the production (some from MICHIGAN!). The most contentious back-and-forth dealt with Linus (Christopher Marquette), Eric?s cancer stricken brother. Fans wanted Eric?s cancer in. The Weinsteins wanted it out. The resulting compromise does not help the movie. The issue is introduced and dropped quickly enough so it?s not a story burden, then resurrected when emotion is required. As deals go, that was not a smart one.

That aside, Fanboys benefits from a surfeit of cameos, including a couple from the original Star Wars trilogy cast and one iconic Federation Starship Captain. There?s also an extended cameo by that rarest of creatures in a movie about dateless wonders: a girl. Kristen Bell (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) enters the film?s opening Halloween party dressed as Picasso?s Blue Period. She returns in time for the gang?s attainment of Nirvana, the infiltration of Lucas?s ranch. Those who wonder if Lucas has become a creatively bereft slave to the continuing financial prospects of his bygone movie creations (answer: yes) will find further ammunition as Eric and friends rummage around the director?s memorabilia room, basically a wet kiss to the Lucas empire. Then again, what card carrying nerd wouldn?t want to frolic in the garden of their dreams made real, even if it is through an improbable act of forcible entry? So whatever Fanboys lacks in polish and whatever obstacles it overcame on its way to an overdue release, it mostly makes up for in good-hearted humor and remembrances of films past. Its target audience may be thin, but they will decide whether seeing their lifelong cinematic obsessions poked fun at and ultimately celebrated was worth the wait (answer: yes).

It will be in Chicago on Feb 6th...I'm still searching for the petition to request more cities -
    NEW YORK ? 5 out of 10.
    More theaters coming soon...

LOS ANGELES - 5 of 10.
    1.Mann Chinese
    2.Arclight Sherman Oaks
    3.AMC Santa Monica
    4.AMC Rolling Hills
    5.Regal Long Beach 26

Philadelphia ? 3 out of 5.

CHICAGO ? 3 out of 3.
    1. AMC Pipers Alley
    2. AMC River East
    3. AMC Barrington 30

SAN FRANCISCO - Also Houston, Seattle and Austin

AHA!~ Here's the site to biotch and demand (or request in a nice email voice) that Fanboys come to our town:
    So, if you are interested in contacting Weinstein Co. to let them know you want to see Fanboys in your city, please drop them a line at Fanboys@weinsteinco.com. Be sure to let all of your Star Wars buddies know about this email address. Post it on bulletin boards, forums, MySpace, Facebook, your mom's fridge, and anywhere else you can think! Let's pull together and get the word out on this one!

Also if you live in or near any of the cities showing it, please make the time to see this film opening weekend so that our voice is heard!

p.s. - I just sent me email and am forwarding address to buds at work

11. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    w00t! Philadelphia Inquirer puts it on their "recommended" list:

Our critics recommend...

Movies
    Opening Friday

Fanboys In the late '80s, four childhood friends and Star Wars fanatics drive across country to Skywalker Ranch to see an advance screening of Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

He's Just Not That Into You Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Connelly and Drew Barrymore star in this comedy about a woman who can't figure out the men in her life.

But then again - they also have Pink Panther 2 there.....

12. pretender

Mar 8, 2001
    The negative review LoveLucas posted is from someone named Mark Keizer at BoxOffice.com
    http://boxoffice.com/reviews/2009/01/fanboys.php

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Fanboys_Chicago_Premiere_Report_120762.asp

13. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    ^^^cool! thanks for that update - and here's a way to make our voices heard -Weinstein Inc replied to my request:

Sent: Monday, February 2, 2009 10:10:17 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
    Subject: RE: Please bring it to our side of the world! - MICHIGAN

Thank-you for contacting us. We are taking all requests into consideration and we will keep you and your fellow fanboys posted. Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----To: Fanboys
    Subject: Please bring it to our side of the world! - MICHIGAN

We have several hard core Star Wars groups in Michigan - we're meeting regularly, costume at events to raise $$$ for Make A Wish and other charities. We're in all parts of the state - Holland, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Farmington, Traverse City, Muskegon and more. If you bring it, we will come!

14. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    Okay - finally a review from someone I know and who I know knows her Star Wars:

Yes, I'd finally watched "Fanboys"...I give the movie two lightsabers up!! :p There was the famous scroll to explain the movie. :D Awesome!!

It is truly a fanboys film, with some naughty humor and the true spirit of SW fan debates: Luke & Leia's kiss in Empire Strikes Back, as a perfect example in one scene. LOL! Some of the humor I felt was kinda forced in the beginning of the film but when the boys and one lovely gal take off in their journey to the Skywalker Ranch, it's hilarious and heartfelt. As for the plot of one friend's cancer diagnosis, it gave the movie its purpose for these fans to go on their mission. Not that it matters anymore, but I can't see how the screenwriters pull off another plot to make the movie work. This plot worked well, in my opinion!

LOVED the cameos of Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams (still smooth and suave), Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes (aka Jay and Silent Bob) - I laughed through their quick cameo; Seth Rogen captures the fanboy
    spirit VERY well, especially the SW vs. Trekkie, er Trekker face off scene. LOL!! There were other actor cameos I didn't recognize but of course, Ray Park's cameo was adorkable and delicious at the same time. ;) Ha ha!! Linda, Karen & Colleen, help me with this one: when we saw the movie clips @ CIV and the director Kyle Newman and the actors spoke afterwards, didn't Kyle say George granted him permission to his Ranch to reshoot the break-in scenes? I don't remember. If it was so, that was ACE because I so want to visit the Skywalker Ranch and geek the hell out in there, with love. LOL!! :p

The critics may have different opinions (read: OPINIONS) about this film. But who cares about them right? ;) If you love Star Wars and you remember how giddy and geeky you were when Episode I was finally released in theaters, AND you know your SW trivia, you'll love this film! :)

15. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    ROAD TRIP??? MOTOWN???

UPDATE: So we already have more info via Kyle on Facebook. Looks like Fanboys will be expanding to 10 more cities starting on February 20th. See the list below:

1. Boston, MA
    2. Washington, DC
    3. Detroit, MI
    4. Atlanta, GA
    5. Denver, CO
    6. New Haven, CT
    7. Orlando, FL
    8. Phoenix, AZ
    9. Columbus, OH
    10. Raleigh, NC

16. Count_Scoobith