main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Group/Forum Stereotyping and Flaming (please read)

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 5' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't see that anything has really changed - I guess you are just pushing the point home that we run the risk of getting into trouble if we're perceived as baiting or picking on a particular group.

Precisely. I think I've said something very close to that in another thread, and I know I have in a PM somewhere (not that you could have known about the PM, obviously). Its less of a change than it is a reinforcement/reminder, both to users and to the moderators, because it is a problem that is worse now than I've ever seen it previously.

However, the issue is that people who get offended easily will be bothered by both expressions, and they need to learn the difference.

Well, its both. Those who offend easily do need to learn the difference and just ignore it, but I've also seen more than a few statements recently that have crossed the line.

I hope the MS will support my right to hold a personal opinion as readily as they'd edit something which is inppropriate.

Certainly, you have a right to have your opinion. That said, sometimes an opinion can also be a flame, and that's when its a problem. Though you're an experienced enough user that knowing the difference is not usually a problem.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    just purely for my benefit, can you give an example?

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    "In my opinion [insert user name] is the stupidest person on the planet and utterly worthless"

That would be an example of something that is not and hasn't been acceptable.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Actually, that's just a flame. And I guess that's been my point all along. As a mod, you guys know what's a flame and you don't have to create a "policy" or even a statement on something that (to me, anyway) is pretty cut and dried.

That statement above is a flame - no doubt. It's also a personal comment directed at a user.

Malkie's example above about "Fan Ficcers needing to get out more" is about his opinion, and is akin to something like "as a Christian I believe all those that don't believe that Jesus Christ is their saviour are going to hell".

Yes, it may "offend" those that aren't Christian, but it's not a "flame". In a conversation on our forums, depending on the discussion, it could very easily be a bait, but again, that's something our long standing rules would address.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Which brings us right back to this statement of malkie's: I don't see that anything has really changed - I guess you are just pushing the point home that we run the risk of getting into trouble if we're perceived as baiting or picking on a particular group.

It is less of a change and more of a reminder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.