main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grub's up - the Best Restaurants in Town!

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Lord-Tice, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    London is officially one of the best Cities in the world to eat, although that?s if you have several hundred pounds to spend on the posh restaurants :p

None the less, we have some great outlets that cater for all tastes and budgets. If you?d like to recommend a place, please feel free to post it here.

For me, the best place in town is Wagamama?s. It?s a Japanese restaurant and they have shed loads of outlets in London. The food is by far the tastiest, most filling, healthiest and resonably priced in London, and they do great fruit drinks too. Service is very quick and lots of choice even for veggies.
    You can find out more from their website here:
    Wagamama?s

That's my recommendation, more to follow soon I'm sure ;)

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    There's a company in West London which does Chinese buffet, I haven't been to both stores but have been to the one closest to Big Ben.

Gourmet Buffet - 37 Strutton Ground, London, Westminster, SW1P 2HY. It is about £8 for all you can eat. The nearest tube stop is St James (One closer to Big Ben and Buckingham Palace)

The other location is 44 Horseferry Road, London, Westminster, SW1P 2AF.

JD Wetherspoons (pub) is also pretty good and pretty cheap as well. They are pretty much every where and you can get selected meals on offer, 2 meals for about £8.
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  4. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Was this the place you were telling me about when we met up in London before?

5. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    yes, and I really want to go back there.

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I never got the chance to before moving, if we manage to go I'll try and get Mike and I there :D

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    There's a place in Wood Green somewhere, not sure what it's called, but it's the best Indian Restaurant I've ever been to. Decent food, good service, and damn cheap :p

8. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    there's this one restaurant... they have a few of them about town.
    mcdonalds.
    mmmmmm......
    mcdonalds.
    mmmmmm......

9. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    You can't get any better than some Portugese Chicken from Nando's who have several restaurants in London!

http://www.nandos.co.uk/

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We have one of those in town here. Never eaten at it though.

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Nando's is pretty good actually, I used to go to them when I went to Collectormania.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Usually if I pass ours at lunchtime it's full of shoppers with screaming kids - not really my cup of tea.

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ah you need a midweek when it isn't lunchtime ;)

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    mcdonalds.

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Sacrilege. [face_sick][face_shame_on_you]

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol what about Pizza hut then?

17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I won't even eat there, and I live in the US!

If I want Pizza, I'll do smaller places - or NY.... I know of a place in a village called "Brick Oven Pizza". Once you go NYC, you never go BACK.

Places to be scratch off of the culinary list for visitors:

McDonalds*

Burger King

Pizza Hut

Starbucks

KFC

Wendi's

*note to vegetarians - McD's UK actually has a VERY interesting veggy burger with a hint of curry, worth trying once, but really, part of visiting another country is partaking in the cuisine. Hell, my old roommate tried 'Black pudding' once - he didn't care for it and after he was sure he didn't like it, it was only then we told him what it was made of....

For the curious Black pudding is also known as blood pudding.
    [face_sick]

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    You know, I haven't seen a Wendy's in years.

Perhaps it was just where I lived (nearest stations being Angel, Kings Cross and Farringdon).

I'm tring to think of other places that are good to eat at but all the places I know are like Oxford St, Angel, Les Sq, Liverpool St etc as that was where I lived until last month :p

19. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    mcdonalds.
    no,i'm being silly...
    actually,just round the corner from earls court there's a filthy keeebab shop that has a little seating area out back.
    we went there after the londonfilmandcomiccon...
    i thoroughly recommend it to our american cousins.

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Brick Lane is home to the Curry house, so if Curry is your thing then Brick Lane is the place to be!

I actually liked Wendy's a lot but sadly they no longer have outlets in the UK, they all went a few years ago :(
    But the best burger I've ever had was a few months ago in Richmond. It was a rather posh pub but it was seriously the best burger ever. The meat just melted in your mouth and the relish ws gorgeous.

21. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I'm partial to Yo! Sushi Bar. Even if it is a little touristy, it's fun!

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    There have been a few sushi places which have popped up now which are good, I know near where I lived (Chancery Lane) there were some decent ones and weren't expensive either

23. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Sees to be quite a few "Yo! Sushi" bars in London -

http://www.yosushi.com/restaurants.php

Think I'll be out of that one, being vegetarian and the one type of meat smell I am not good with being fish :p

Wagamamas on the other hand, I love. Been to the Bristol one now Matt, very good :D

Good Indian restaurants? Mexican?
    Maybe we could go Australian - Walkabout - http://www.walkabout.eu.com/060drink.html
    They do vegetarian (bean burgers etc)

Maybe we could do a European themed thing - eat at different European style restaurants: French, Italian, etc each night?

24. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    help me out,here...
    i know matt/lordtice has mentioned this wagamamas place before...
    what is it?
    i've never seen or heard of it before.

25. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    It's a Japanese restaurant (link to website is in my first post). They have loads of outlets in London and have now spread across the country (it used to be exclusive to London pretty much, and part of me is disappointed it isn't anymore :p ). Their food is gorgeous and you can have either soup, noodle or rice based meals. Perfect for veggies and carnivores alike ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.