main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthXan318, Sep 3, 2012.

1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I can't be the only one completely obsessed with this game. :D It has combat, exploration, dynamic events, competitive PVP, huge-scale world-versus-world-versus-world PVP, crafting, story ... it's not funny how much time I've sunk into GW2 over the past week.

And, I mean, there are totally awesome vistas like this that look like something out of Avatar:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else play? What class/race/server? I'm Xanify.3089, Sylvari Elementalist ... and Human Engineer ... and Norn Ranger ... :-B

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I got the Collector's Edition, which is amazing and well worth it. I haven't been able to get on yet as my computer died before it came out and I'm waiting for a new DVD drive and some power cables so it all works. I should be on somewhen this week but I don't know.

As for characters, I'll probably go with an Asura Necromancer, my a Sylvari Elementalist, maybe another. I'll be starting a Charr Thief as a banking character, but mostly that'll be for storing hats.

And by hats, I mean these hats, special celebration hats. AFAIK you can have as many as you can carry or keep in the bank but you can't trade with other players.

One thing that I really like about this is that players can visit other worlds so they can play with friends. It means I can pick the best world for when I'm on my own and join friends on their world when we play together. Much better than trying to pick a world based on how many friends are on which one.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm on Aurora Glade Server with a Human Thief (Ishaps Divinity) and a Sylvari Ranger and Charr Engineer in the starting blocks.

I'm currently lvl 35 and I'm 80% of the way through Lornars pass.

I have my lvl 33 personal story quest to do and I've yet to do the Ascalon Catacombs (lvl 30) dungeon.

I am loving this game hard, my SWToR subscription has been dropped and the entire game has been given to my brother on the basis that it's crap and it's only saving grace is it's impending FTP status, that being said I get Pandaria in September (which is a major thing considering I am very anti the PTP model) but WoW is actually quite a good alternate distraction.

GW2 though is awesome and is keeping me 100% hooked at the moment so roll on Zhaitain.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, I should be on tonight (Tuesday) should all go well. Make sure you all get lots of hats!

5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Just completed next 2 quests and the Lornar's Map. so that's a good chunk of the personal storyline covered, 3 racial cities with 100% and 4 main maps with 100%.

It's a solid start.

6. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Very nice. :D I've been trying to 100% maps as well, myself - but I keep outlevelling the area and having to go to the next for my personal story ... I've spent way too much coin waypointing back to complete maps.

I really like how your personal storyline takes you all over the place (so much better than SWTOR's tunnel vision!), but it's inconvenient when you're a completist.

7. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I've not picked it up yet. I think I'm going to buy it for myself, my best friend, and her husband for Christmas.

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Outlevel an area? With the dynamic scaling you are reduced to a couple of levels above recommended whenever you zone back.

The only difference is that your damage dealing is not reduced to a stupidly low level

9. MCSquared

MCSquared Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    How is the crafting system? That is something that I felt was really missing from the first one and that many games just don't get right.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm liking it, I've never really used WoW as yet but GW2's seems good, it takes a little while to get used to the banking/storage system and there are a couple of fiddly elements but otherwise it works quite well

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    By out level, I mean there's that struggle between completing an area and going off to see a shiny new one.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    No DVD drive yet but it should arrive today!

We'll have to party up somewhen. I'm so glad it'll actually be easy to do, even if we are spread across worlds. :D

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Finally! It's been nearly two weeks but as I write this I am installing GW2! I've heard there's a giant patch to download though, but I'll be on as soon as I can be.

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The log in patch is HUGE

I'm on Aurora Glade, so if you can get on that server go for it.

I had my fist go at the Ascalon Catacombs yesterday (Story)

Is it just me or do they ramp the difficulty up to 11 for the dungeons?? I'm lvl 40 so I know I'm downrated to 30 for this instance, BUT, I have lvl 40 armor and weaponary which although is downgraded again isn't de-buffed to a stupid level and our five man group was still getting hammered by one ghost. ONE GHOST...

I think a review of traits and weapon sets is in order before I try again

16. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, it's super hard. I just did it with a group of RL friends and it took us a couple of hours, a lot of careful pulling, and nearly every trick learnt from WoW raiding to get through that.

Unlike the rest of GW2 you really do have to think about tanking and healing, and avoidance. Can't just spam AoEs on the ground in an event and faceroll to a gold medal.

17. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    lvl 53 human guardian on piken square, named Arathien :)

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Still getting hammered in the Ascalon dungeon.

I have my masters trait book so I think a bit if trait prioritizing is in order now.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm still having no joy in this damn dungeon.

Just over an hour in today, due to face one of the final bosses and one of the jokers in the group suddenly realised they had college and had to go, drop down to 4 :( one more wipe and then we were 3 then 2 then me, very dissapointed again.

20. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    :(

That's the worst. I think I was okay with it because I was playing with a bunch of RL friends, so nobody would leave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, playing with randoms can be bad like that. We should all get together, party up, and go on some dungeons. I pretty much won't leave as I won't join if I'm expected to go afk at any point. I haven't played much as I find it hard to play with the default camera angle and I'm waiting for a new mouse to arrive.

My username is moosemousse.1872

Does anyone else keep getting asked to authorise log in attempts? I just logged on to the website and it asked me then, and I get it every time I try to play it too. It also never gets my location right.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    My username is Fatburt.6518

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Master-FatBurt: I'll add you now before I forget but I won't log on properly until later tonight, which will be somewhen after Dr Who.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    You have been added as well.

25. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Xanify.3089