main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends He Always Knew (Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon) Vignette 1/25/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: He Always Knew

Author: bek

Genre: Definitely AU ? Drama

Timeframe: Two years before TPM

Character: Obi-Wan Kenobi (23), Qui-Gon Jinn, Siri Tachi (22), Kamin Tryn (Initiate), Master Kyra (Creche Master)

Disclaimer: The characters, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Siri, Windu, Gallia, and any other recognizable ones that I forgot to mention belong to Lucas and Watson. I make no profit from this, it's just a hobby. However, Kamin Tryn and Master Kyra are my creations within Lucas' wonderful galaxy far, far away.

Summary: The Jedi lose one it's Initiates; Obi-Wan takes the loss harder than Qui-Gon thinks he should.

Edits: Edits done to correct formatting error's and some grammar and spacing errors. :)

Author's Note: I'm fairly sure that I have a child of four years speaking beyond his age, and I ask for lenience if the words/sentences sound too old for a child that young. It's been awhile since my kids were that young and I am not around children that age enough to know how they speak. If you're willing, please bear with me on that part, I'd appreciate it. :)

He Always Knew

Turning away from the comm. unit, Qui-Gon absently ran a hand over his bearded chin. An initiate had died of unknown causes; and per procedure, all Jedi were called to attend the funeral proceedings. Momentarily pushing away his saddened thoughts, his brow furrowed as he suddenly remembered that his padawan had voluntarily given his spare time in the crèche over the last three, shortly to become, four years. Qui-Gon quickly discovered how much his apprentice enjoyed being around the young ones, having heard many tales concerning the antics of the initiates and Obi-Wan's new found knowledge of what a mentor must go through in raising a padawan.

He gazed at the closed door wanting nothing more than to allow his padawan more time to rest. But having recognized the name of the child as one of a few Obi-Wan had spoken so fondly of, he walked to his padawan's room and opened the door to find it empty and in disarray. Sensing the lingering trace of urgency in the air, he went to his room to dress.

He searched everywhere without success until it occurred to him to try the one place that had suffered a terrible loss. When he entered the room, the crèche master greeted him.

"Master Jinn, it is good see you." Her voice was pleasant enough, but the sadness that bled through the forced cheerfulness had him holding up a hand to forestall any more falsities.

Offering a nod in greeting, Qui-Gon's features took on an air of sorrow as he looked around at the downtrodden children. Noticing his regard, the childcare provider gazed at her students. "We're working with them. Kamin's death came as a shock to us all."

Gesturing toward her office, Master Kyra waited until Qui-Gon had entered before following. "What brings you here?"

"I received the news this morning concerning Initiate Tryn, and my thoughts went to my padawan."

Master Kyra folded her hands and rested them on the desk in front of her. "Obi-Wan is here. Actually, I called him to the infirmary last night when Kamin was rushed in. The child kept asking for him?" Taking a moment to reign in her emotions, the crèche master took a deep breath and continued, "I couldn't refuse him. Shortly after Obi-Wan arrived, Healer Ainsley informed us of what we already knew but didn't want to hear; Kamin was dying." She stood and walked to the window that overlooked the classroom. The children were sitting in small groups offering comfort the only way four year olds knew how. Placing a hand over her mouth, she blinked back tears.

"Kamin had always been a quiet child, even in infancy. Obi-Wan had taken to him the moment he met him. Kamin was two months of age at the time, and over the years Kam became attached to young Kenobi as well. With your padawan's help we were able to lesson the attachment but as soon as Obi-Wan rounded the corner at the end of the hallway, Initiate Tryn would sense him a

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    How sad that Obi-Wan lost someone close to him and that Siri was just as grief-stricken. At least the young one was able to die in peace and not in pain. It looks like Obi-Wan and Siri were defying the Order for a while but had come to terms with it. I liked that Obi-Wan said that he would always love Siri.

Good job. Very sad.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm so glad I haven't started putting up make-up. NOthing like long black streaks of mascara running down your cheeks.

That was emotion packed and very beautifully done.

Thanks for sharing.

4. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    :_| :_| :_| (regains posture) This is something I never read before. It was very creative! @};- :_|

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, how sweet and sad. At first I thought Obi-Wan was fairly young in this story, but I guess he wasn't as young as I thought.

All the Jedi's reactions/actions played very believably.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Stomp my heart into itty-bitty pieces why don't you??? :_| :_| I was holding it together until:

"I'm going to the force."

"Who told you that?"

Kamin shrugged and his eyes held a note of excitement, "The force. It said it was waiting. It's warm like you."

"Kam, I... "

Kamin put a hand over his mouth, "Shhhh... I want to go, but I'll miss you."

Obi-Wan's smiled sadly, "I'll miss you too, half pint."

"'Cause I'm half of you."

Obi-Wan's brow creased, "What?"

Kamin grinned while yawning at the same time, and then said, "I know." The child closed his eyes.

"Know what Kam?" Obi-Wan waited for an answer. When one didn't come, he shook the boy gently, "Kamin?!"

The child opened his eyes. Lifting a hand to rest on his friend's cheek, he whispered, "I love you, papa; tell mama."

That's where I lost it. :_|

=D=

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Such a wonderful piece=D=
    I love you papa, tell Mama

My glasses fogged up.:_|

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    :_| :_| That was so sad!!! I sort of guessed about halfway through that Kam was Obi-Wan's, but when he told Gui-Gon . . . I seriously had trouble keeping myself from crying. That was an absolutely wonderful piece [:D]

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    "I didn't trust your reaction. Master, what good would a lecture have done at that point? Kamin was here; he wasn't going anywhere. I had to deal with the here and now and I did it in the best way I could."

My favorite line. It says everything. :_| Wonderful (and horribly depressing! :p ) vig.

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a beautiful, bittersweet story.

I loved that Obi-Wan was there at the end, blocking Kamin's pain and spending his son's final hours with him.

How wonderful to see him and Siri start to heal with little Zaylie.

Bravo!

=D==D==D= =D=

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :_| Beautifully done.

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    The title, 'He Always Knew' really embraces the tragedy. Sooooo sad! :_| Though I am scratching my head a little over how Siri managed to keep it secret. Obi-Wan would be a wonderful father.

13. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Lovely little vignette.

:_| Sniff.

I also loved Siri in this.

14. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Oh, that was so sad. My eyes are welling up! That was really lovely and unique.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    aww that was so sad!!!! and sweet!!!

16. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Oh wow that was amazingly sad and sweet all in one. I loved it, and gosh the kid must have been cute with parents like that >.<

Really loved the fic and the outcome was shocking but it made it all more enjoyable.

17. kenobirose

kenobirose Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    :_| That was absolutely beautiful! Enough to pull me out from my lurking. I have read many fics that moved me but congratulations on being the first to actually make me cry. I loved it. I had it pretty much figured out by the funeral scene, but reading him say "I love you papa, tell Mama" pushed me over the edge. =D=

18. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    Wow, that was such a great story, and so sad.:_| I liked how Obi still visited the other children even after his son had died, it was so sweet. Great story. :)

Peggy 8-}

19. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Heartbreaking. :_| It was nice that Obi and Siri could find some peace at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.