main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Help a guy out when he's down] Let's Help Joe Torre Look For A New Job

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Some say it started with Becket's World Series winning gem in Yankee Stadium. Others say it was game four of the following ALCS. Others say it was the inability to advance to even the LCS in consecutive years. Some might say the straw that broke the camel's back is being eliminated from the playoffs by Paul Byrd.

In any case ...

With another flameout in the playoffs, and the comments by George Steinbrenner yesterday, I think it's safe to assume Mr. Torre will be looking for a job. I thought we could do the guy a favor and browse careerbuilder, monster, and the local help wanted ads for him.

Post your ideas for Joe Torre's next job here!

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Milwaukee Brewers

[face_whistling]

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I say D, D-O-D, D-O-D-G, D-O-D-G-E-R-S, team, team, team!

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He doesn't need one. With the money Stienbrenner gave him during his years as the Yankee's skipper, he has enough to live the rest of his years in a comfortable manner.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    And he's fairly old, plus he's already survived a serious bout with cancer. I would expect he'll stay on the sidelines for a few years. Baseball Tonight, here Joe comes.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    George is a ****ing moron if he fires Torre. I can't stand the Yankees, and even I know that.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I say he retires and writes a tell all book about how big of an ass $teinbrenner is

8. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I hear there's an opening for Assistant to the Traveling Secretary. :p

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    ooh, I'll have brush up for my interview, and commit the following to memory: "I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego!"

I assume Torre, and it's a shame to see him go, he's done a great job. When the team was run well and Steinbrenner stayed out of personnel decisions, they were unbeatable. Unfortunately, too many deals in recent years have had the Big Stein's handprint on them, making it hard for Torre to do his job. In the end, you win with pitching, and when your supposed ace (Wang) gets shelled twice, there's not much a manager can do.

As for a successor, whoever it is, I don't see them being around long -- the team is most likely going to be rebuilding a bit, which usually means mediocre seasons. That's why I hope it isn't Mattingly, the idol of my adolescent years.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think people need to stop jumping the gun and wait to see what Steinbrenner does. Plus I am sick of the obsession with the Yankees. There are plenty of other teams to talk about.

11. captain-fantastic

captain-fantastic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2007
    Like the Sox!

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Joe, whatever you do, make sure you ask the customers if they want to "upsize" their value meal. You never know when a secret shopper will show up.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You're a cruel man, Inty.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    When the Indians-Rockies WS sets a new record for lowest TV ratings, all of the baseball world will be wishing the Yankees had been there

15. DarthStewy

DarthStewy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Inty Edit: Seemed a bit off topic, out of place, had some inappropriate insinuations, and a language infraction. It's a grand slam!

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'd point out that Colorado are in, and Cleveland are up 2-1. Ratings disaster here we come.

I should also point out that I'm rooting for Cleveland, would love to see them win finally, espcially after coming so close in 1997.

And lastly, and actually on topic, Joe may not be looking for a new job after all.

17. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    yay! Torre isn't going back to the yankees:)

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    So after all this talk about Torre being fired, the Yankees offer him a contract and he turns them down. Who gets the last laugh? Torre. Definitely Torre.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I wonder if they really wanted him back, seems they gave him an offer that they figured he'd maybe turn down, hoping it would make them look better, though it failed miserably if that's what they intended.

Joe will be badly he missed, he was a class guy and a great manager.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Good article by Tom Verducci at si.com. COnfirms my suspicions of Yankee management's motivations with the offer. I pretty much agree with everything he has to say.

21. Mace-Wan_Winobi

Mace-Wan_Winobi Jedi Master star 1

Jul 7, 2007
    I wish the Yankees would have offered a two year deal instead of the one year deal w/conditional 2nd year if they had gotten to or won the World Series.

I really didn't have a problem with the 5 million dollars/year. After the Red Sox debacle and three straight first round exits, a cut in pay is not out of the question. Torre would still have been the highest paid manager.

22. DarthStewy

DarthStewy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2006
    I disagree wholeheartedly!!!

23. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Ratings disaster here we come

who honsetly cares?? i want to see new teams in the world series or BCS championship, everyone seems so concerned about ratings around here. Unless you work for a TV company

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Exactly. Even though I hate the Yankees, I always root for them to make the World Series every single year. It increases the excitement tenfold for me.

This year, however, regardless of who wins the ALCS, I won't care who wins it all. If it's the Sox & Rockies, it should be interesting to see who wins between Helton's goatee and Youkilis's goatee. Now there is a match-up.

25. Qui-Gon_Tom

Qui-Gon_Tom Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2006
    Maybe George will change his mind, you know come to his senses.... and hire Torre back where he belongs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.