main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jedi-son-of Jedi

Jedi-son-of Jedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    My first Internet forum was Theforce.net.

I remember the day the storyboards of Jango and Obi-Wan battle were leaked.

Fun times. Looking forward to the madness again.

2. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Michael Arndt will be writing the screenplay for Star Wars Episode VII right here

3. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    It's good to be back on here. It's literally been years since I've frequented this website. Glad to have a good reason to come back and be a part of the community again! :)

4. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999

Good times indeed, I still have those and the storyboards of the Mace vs Jango fight in the arena. Always thought it was unfortunate they edited both those fights down from the way they'd been shot.

Can't wait or the first big spoiler to break.

TheFoot likes this.
  5. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Just wanted to say that the directors that have already said they aren't interested are not the guys for the job. I would say someone like JJ Abrams (but not Damon Lindelof)...but I really don't know. I feel like some fresh blood might be good for the new movies...it doesn't have to be a super-giant director, just someone who can shoot good action scenes.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It looks like they're going "new" but not "trendy". I know JJ loves the OT but he's just not the right guy. Too much shaky cam, too many pyrotechnics, too many gimmicks. We need someone who can calm down and tell a well paced story not someone who's on "11" all the time.

Bowen likes this.
  7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes! The documentary style has worked well for Star Wars because it helps to ground the bizarre things happening on screen.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I think it'll likely be a lesser known director, at least to the average filmgoer.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nolan would be a great choice.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn't have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!" - J.J. Abrams

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  11. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh Thank All The Gods That Ever Lived!!

Foltliss, eht13 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  12. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I can see the promotion for Christopher Nolan's Star Wars...

"Here we see a forest planet where lots of monologues take place!"

[​IMG]

"An exciting water planet where even more monologues take place!!"

[​IMG]

"A space battle takes place here. All you'll see are the lasers!"

[​IMG]

"An exciting chase scene from Episode VII : Pyrrhic Victories In Which Nothing Matters."

[​IMG]

"A behind the scenes pic of the script assistant hard at work!"

[​IMG]

NO.

NO NO NO NO NO.

...just had to express my feelings there...I feel so much better now!

obi-rob-kenobi4, Bowen, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think Inception showed his got better visual ideas than you give him credit for. He just tends to write dark stories. This would be written by someone else, thus not as dark as his self written stuff. He's a great director, so he could get the right tone out of the material.

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Eternal-Hero, ROFL!

I happen to like Nolan but it's spot on. Unless he manages to change his style, he's wrong for Star Wars.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I like Nolan too. I saw his first movie when it first came out in 1999. But if the kind of "respect" he showed the Batman character is any indication, I'd rather he not "improve" SW. When he's really on his game (Inception, TDK) his images have a certain kind of psychological depth, but a SW director needs to be an illustrator, like George. The layers are complex, they include not only a psychological layer, but also an anthropological, historical, and imaginative layer. It's hard to do in live action. Nolan doesn't have those qualities. He's interested in ideas hovering around the edges of stories, with minimal images crowding the concepts and subtext; his images illustrate concepts and psychological states. That ain't SW.
    This is SW:

[​IMG]

This is SW:

[​IMG]

This is SW:

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

This:

[​IMG]

Sorry, this doesn't even begin to cut it:

[​IMG]

We need a richly imaginative imagist, a true visual artist, who also understands the art of drama, someone like Francis Coppola or Martin Scorsese, but young.

When you really start to think of it you realize just how brilliant ANH was.

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You are absolutely selling Nolan's talents short IMO. Inception truly showed his visual skills, and he has enough of them to work for Star Wars... and his ability to get the intended feel across is second to none... I have no doubt that he can do a great job with any quality script he's handed.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Do you know something we don't ;)

I honestly don't think he's the right man. I'll tell you what, watching TDKR, when Gordon reads from A Tale of Two Cities, I thought to myself: betcha I go home & Google "Christopher Nolan + A Tale of Two Cities" and I find a quote about how that's the movie he'd really like the make. I did and I found one right away. I don't think he's comfortable with fantasy. Inception's about as far as he'd like to go. I don't see him being happy with muppety/cgi cartoon characters or lines like "You overweight glob of grease!" and "Laser-brain!" I just don't. Can you imagine him happily directing a remote control R2D2 or Tony Daniels in the 3PO costume?

He'd want to make SW serious. And it's not. It's absurd. A very delicate balance. Doing real drama within that framework will be complex. Nolan's not the guy for that particular challenge.

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Is he the right man for the job? I don't know... I do know I love his work and I wouldn't complain if he got the job is all.

I don't think any of us truly know who the "right man for the job" is.

19. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    It would be hilarious though. I'd buy the blu-ray for the behind-the-scenes material:

Nolan, in his tailored suit and coiffed hair and with his posh English accent: Tony, wave your arms more frantically! We've got to believe that the Death Asteroid is looming on Tosche Station!

Anthony Daniels: Oh no! It's the Death Asteroid! We're doomed this time for sure R2!

Nolan: More emotion Tony, more feeling! Cue Super Mandalore Trooper Droids!

Ha ha ha. That would be awesome!

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I sure hope Arndt is going to draw more from ANH than ESB. Unlike you, I'm mostly fine with it, but there no way it's a better movie than ANH. Arndt does seem to use ANH in his class, so I suppose it's a good sign.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I love all the SW movies but ESB has experienced a ridiculous elevation of status that is completely out of proportion with what is actually in the movie. And it has spawned a cult of militant loudmouths who feel it is their sworn duty to make sure everyone on earth agrees with their opinion.

Your point is a good one and I think it actually explains why Arndt's writing stories people actually care about as opposed to just having success. Most screenwriters obsess over ESB - which has no plot, very little story, and hangs entirely on one scene. Sounds like all the tentpole blockbusters made since the "SW" generation grew up and took over Hollywood. ANH has a focus, a center, and a point. So yeah, as this is the stanza that "rhymes" with ANH, it's a better reference. It's also a better movie to learn from.

Bowen, THX_1138biggs and -NaTaLie- like this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for the images you posted, Hero.

It needs to be said again and again, shouted from the rooftops. Take out ads in Variety and Entertainment Weekly.

Star Wars IS visual and musical and never ever was about the scripts. We're too damned logocentric.

I understand how snobby film critics could scoff at Lucas back in the OT days, saying it was all special effects and no heart - but fans? I was amazed during the Prequel heydays hearing fans say the same thing Pauline Kaels was saying back in the old days. Just weird. People, you need to burn your entertainment rags; cancel your subscriptions and use the money to buy some old Errol Flynn movies.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I am frequently astonished how the sci-fi/fantasy culture has been completely and utterly co-opted by the critical establishment and the mainstream populist culture. Back in the day, the whole point of banding together was to be different, to be outside of all that, to thumb our noses at the crowd, and at the critics. Now? We have to listen to these armchair movie nerds lecture us on Syd Field's blinking three-act structure and other Holy of Holies that are supposed to make stories "better". Everyone's a critic and an expert. You have "professional fans" whose dream is not to create anything but to obsessively catalog other people's work. The whole idea of individualism is anathema. It's so ironic it could be a twist in a dystopian SF novel.

24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    LOL yeah it's like if you don't think ESB is the best or that prequels suck, you're a Lucas apologist. Usually ESB adoration and prequels condemnation come together (not always, of course, no offense to those who disagree).

Some of the common myths is that ESB is "dark" (really, name one important character that dies in it. Or how about a planetary genocide?). Or the one that cracks me up, is the wonderfully developed Han/Leia romance (you know, the immature bickering that doesn't even go anywhere in that movie).

Not to mention, ANH has the best plot, least amount of filler and a surprising thematic variety that hasn't been fully explored in its sequels, as strange as it sounds.

Bowen and The-Eternal-Hero like this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Peter Weir. I'm serious. He'd never do it I'm sure. But he reminds me of a Kersh. Guy knows how to direct actors also.

He's not an "fx director" although he directed the kick*** Master and Commander, which was full of them.

Either him or Duncan Jones.

Or Brad Bird. Or...