main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Heroes expo - need volunteers to man table

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediXtine, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    I thought i'd post a thread where we could put out some ideas for the Heroes expo in Syracuse this October. I am thinking of having a raffle with a few of my autographed pics from Celebration IV and donating the money to a worthwhile cause, like maybe the Ronald McDonald house or something like that. Also I had an idea about a mini Jedi Training Academy, similar to the one they have at Disneyland and at C4. It wouldn't be that difficult to do, it could probably be accomplished for less than $100 and some volunteer time, all we would really need to do is buy plastic lightsabers (or bring them from home), and maybe make some Jedi robes or do without them. At the end the kids could get padawan certificates. We would need a sith or two to fight against (vader or maul) and a few Jedi to do the training of the kids. Just putting this out there, I think it could be easily accomplished, what do you all think?

I'm also thinking of putting together a slideshow of pics from C4.

See last post

2. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Sounds like fun, I know the Buffalo group does these fairly regularily. maybe contact them on some pointers.

Also there really won't be any room to do in in the main room, you may want to contact them about additional room or hall space.

3. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    In the past when we have done mini jedi training we ahve always used the pool noodles so no one gets hurt. So if thats what you really would like to do I can always bring the ones I already have. :)

We have a tote for SCJ that has raffle stuff/tickets etc. If you want to donate some items I have the tickets.
    In the past the charity we most commonly collect for has been ronald Mcdonald house. Instead of collecting money which we always can, we have in the past asked for food donations. I can contact the promotor and see if they can advertise to bring a canned good. Otherwise we can have a kitty set up for monetary donations as well.

I have coloring books I make and can sell those as well. I have a few Tshirts left over I can bring to sell. Once their gone their gone ;) we will have to either come up with a new logo or do another run of the design we have. Personally Im all for doing a new logo ;)

We usually do face painting, we charge 2.00 and all that goes to charity as well. If we have any volunteers for face painting then we're good to go.

A slideshow would be great. I have a laptop I can bring and I have a photo album with past events we can display. ;)
    So key I think is making sure we have enough volunteers to man the tablwe so we can actually have a nice display and variety.
    I know I will be there and I can rope yoda into going provided he isnt busy that weekend :)

Any other volunteers?
    I think if you post what times you are available and what you are interested in helping with (bring) etc that would be great!

I can bring pool noodles (just in case)
    Face paint
    Coloring books
    photo Album
    Laptop (if needed)
    Raffle tickets

JediXtine:
    Slideshow?
    Raffle Items?

We could use some raffle items donated. I think I have one C3 Vader figure left I can toss in the basket.

this is a huge recruiting opportunity for us so I think we hsould have a sign upo sheet for our mailing list as well.
    I will have some biz cards made up and pass those out. :)
    Im excited!!

4. JediXtine

Nov 2, 2006
    I'll bring at least one framed autographed photo for raffle, maybe i'll bring two. The noodles sound like a good idea, I can also make up some certificates we can give out to the kids similar to what they hand out at Disneyland, declaring them an official Jedi padawan. I'll have to think up some more ideas.

5. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    sweet! certificates are good ;) whoot whooot!

6. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Let me know if you need help with the Jedi Academy. We just did another one this past weekend.

7. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    sweeet! [:D]

8. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    First guests - including Daniel Logan have been announced at www.syracuseheroesexpo.com

~Doc_Bev

9. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I still have had no response from the promotor on this convention...... So not sure if we can get a table or not.... He didnt respond to me last year either.

10. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    even though we dont have a table... anyone from here plan on going?

11. JediXtine

Nov 2, 2006
    I plan on going for certain, especially since my daughter will want to see Daniel Logan again. Hope to see you there! Too bad we couldn't get a table, that's just wierd.... I haven't decided if we are costuming it or not.

12. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    yeh Im very disappointed we did not hear anything back from the promotor. I am disappointed 501st got in but not FF.

not sure what thats all about. this would have been a great opportuniy to not only promote our group but the upcoming halloween event in syracuse this same month.

*sighs* I will be good and refrain from any further commenting on this. the whole thing in general is disappointing.

13. mrgr8ness

mrgr8ness Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    I will be there. Hopefully get Daniel to sign my bucket

14. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Sweet
    I know that Ayka (Andy) from Rochester is coming and bringing his Fett as well.
    He was saying the other day he is looking forward to meeting you.

15. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    wow, look at the traffic in here...... and I thought no one read our little forum LOL ;)

well, if we can manage to squeeze in with a table then we will get to meet everyone :)

Supposed to be alot of FF members coming from out of town for this one........

16. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    we now have a table. Once again we are going to scramble for stuff for it LOL *sighs* its always the way....

Anyhow, am looking for volunteers to man the table and donate any items for a raffle.
    Let me know

Thanks!

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Glad to read that things are finally falling in place!

~Doc_Bev

18. JediXtine

Nov 2, 2006
    I'd be willing to do a few hours! I've pm'd Nicky the details and i'll donate one of my autographed photos and one or two non-autographed photos for the auction. Looking forward to the weekend, even though I still don't think i'll have that Jedi robe done. Looking forward to seeing you all!

19. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    yeh the stuff you donated to Nicky goes to 501st and their raffle. I will see what I can find for ours. :)
    Look forward to seeingyou there.
    Im going to make up flyers at work tomorrow so we have info t pass out about our group. Bringing the laptop for a slideshow presentation.

Have a few props I can bring, thats about it

20. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    If SCJ is willing, we could combine raffles so that we aren't competing for people's money.
    The 501st/RL is planning to have a large-ish prize pack for the first person's name picked out of the bucket and if we sell enough tickets we may pick more names for some smaller prize packs.
    The current plan is to support the American Cancer Society after speaking with the promotor.

~Doc_Bev

21. JediXtine

Nov 2, 2006
    Well i'm all for combining raffles! The money goes to a good cause anyway so lets work together for it.

22. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    LOL no I wasnt complaining about compteting for peoples money. I just wanted SCJ to have something at their table as a draw.
    At this point in time SCJ will not be doing a raffle so its not big deal. We havea few things going on at the table that we should be fine :) If you want to give me some info on it I can direct people to the raffle. Thanks for the offer though Nicky. Should be a fun day sounds like there will be a ton of people there from various groups. Cant wait !

Do u have any other information regarding the table and free passes? I dont like not knowing set up time, pass information for members etc. Is it for sure we are having a table there? I need to know if there is room for a banner.

Nicky do u have Jeffs contact info maybe I can figure things out that way it may be easier. :)
    Thanks !

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Well, I was complaining about competing for people's money. :p
    I've found, with doing joint events in the past, that having multiple raffles just hurts both groups. But, as you say - the point it moot.

I've PMd you all the info I have so far about tables and passes.
    Is anyone other than you and Christine planning to attend?
    According to the website, the con starts at 10am. As far as I know we can start setting up as early as 8am, although personally I don't think I'll be getting there before 9am considering the 1.5 hour drive and kids.

The table should be the standard 6' and should fit a banner along the front of it.

I can PM you his email again in a minute.

~Doc_Bev

24. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree, usually on joint events we combine raffles. Like I said I have no problem since our tables are side by side to direct them to your raffle. No sense in having two raffle boxes LOL

As far as members attending, we have a couple of active members who really wanted to attend and help with the table. So I would need to get them in. I hate to make them pay to work like I did last year. :(

I did get your PM regarding Jeff, the email I have for him is the same oine and it gets returned everytime I send it :(
    I really hate scrambling at the last minute to get our table ready and its friday so the more information I have by tonight the better since I am working all weekend and will be away from the computer. I need to convey info to our members.

Only information I have is I have a free pass and a table. that was confirmed a few days ago. I have no other info than that. ;)

I will plan on being there early to set up, but like I said I need a few of SCJ members there to help with the table. this con is pretty cruicial for us to try to recruit and revive our dwindling group.

I look forward to seeing everyone again :)

25. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I have not received any information regarding free passes for those not in the 501st or Rebel Legion.
    You were offered a free pass last year and unfortunately declined it.

What other information do you need?
    If you email isn't working perhaps signing up for the Syracuse Heroes Expo forums would be another way to get a message to the promotor.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.