main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks How do you eat in costume?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JedHead1, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I've always wondered about this with certain costumes, but with CIV coming up I thought I'd ask. For me, when I'm dressed as Anakin, I have to roll up my tunic sleeves really tight so they don't accidentally get sauce or something on them. With my TIE Pilot, I can easily take the helmet and armor off and put it on the floor or table, and wearing my Luke ROTJ, it's easy.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Depends on the costume. My pilot I strip down to the washable parts, my dresses I tend to use a lot of napkin bibs.

3. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Oh man, the title was too funny and I had to pop in. Well, I've only had to eat in costume once. I was in a Jedi costume, with two gauntlets. Basically all I did was take off the gauntlets and set my saber aside. I had to be careful. Man, that was a huge hotdog, too!

4. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    "How do you eat in costume?"

Very Carefully... [face_dancing]

5. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    When I wore my ANH Leia Senatorial, I took several precautions.

1. Since I planned to wear it all day and not just for show for a few hours, I chose a non-absorbant fabric. I used a polyester. From all the pictures, and considering the time period, the late '70s, polyester was King. I chose one that did not have that 'look' or 'scratch', though. It really does look like a better material.

2. Shout! wipes in my bag. The instant a spot or a spill threatened, out came the wipe to deal with it. Since it was white, now-a-days there are Tide and Clorax pens that would serve the same purpose, but not available for C2.

3. Safety pins in my bag to pin back my sleeves for eating. I used the butterick pattern where the sleeves were open and I couldn't, at the time of construction, pin down if the sleeves were cuffed to the wrist or not. It was somethinig of last minute.

The outfit survived two Celebrations (2 and 3) with no perminant stains. Since I made it a washable, stain-resistant fabric and used good seam construction, I can just toss it in the washer and dryer, too.

I found a washable satin for my costume for C4. It hasn't sleeves, so no pins, but I will still be carrying the Shout! wipes! They fit in pockets and camera bags, but I carry something of a messenger bag at conventions to carry my stuff, both purchases and snacks.

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    The white costumes got me thinking about this topic too. If someone has the "parade Padme" costume from the end of TPM, maybe you could substitute all the petals on the dress with napkins instead, just in case of a "nachos accident". [face_laugh]

7. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    When I'm in any of my Padme costumes, I avoid eating anything messy. Carrot sticks, pretzels, or bread for me; straws are also vital so as not to mess up make-up ;). When I'm in RFT or Jedi, I just put a napkin on my lap and roll my sleeves up :).

8. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    *Seconds this*

I tend to avoid the messy foods.

9. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Starve, lol.
    I never eat in my Padme Senate gown. I also drink very little
    since a bathroom trip is out of the question. I've never worn my costume for more than 5 hours at one stretch though, wearing it all day could be tricky.

10. UrbanVader

UrbanVader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2006
    If you're a Vader, like me, then unless you can liquefy your food, you don't have much of a choice and reveal yourself..not to mention remove the gloves....those things can make you clumsy if you're not used to handling utensils with them. Also ain't nothing wrong with tucking on a napkin on your chest armor...you'd be pretty upset if ketchup got on all your expensive (or self-made) armor peices...

11. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    No sloppy Joe's for Darth Maul!

12. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Thats my plan, going as Vader. What I should do though is add a semi mask to show 20 years of time on mustafar burns when I take the helmet off to eat. That would freak people out. Or, I could pull a hadyen christionson and take the helemet off and have no head, that would be kool.

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    "The legend of Sleepy Death Star!"

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm glad I didn't start a "How Do You Go To The Restroom In Costume" thread instead. ;)

15. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Too many jokes to be started there...

16. UrbanVader

UrbanVader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2006
    Oh man! There was a 501st video on YouTube of a bunch of stormtroopers and Vader in a public restroom during a troop. And I cant for the life of me find it. Too bad, because it was so hilarious!

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Was it something like this?

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/star20wars20in20the20toilet.jpg]

18. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    [face_laugh] x 1000000000!!!

Wanna know what's on every restroom door on the Death Star? "All Imperial Personel must wash hands and/or prosthetics before returning to active duty." :D

19. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    when wearing my sidious mask i take straws that'll fit in the gaps and get milkshakes

20. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Luckily for me, Jedi garb happens to be some of the most comfortable and livable clothing I've ever made for myself. The sleeves of my cloak tend to fall back out of the way when I raise my hands, so not much of a problem there. The tunic sleeves are easy to roll up- my only real worry is the tabards- I'm big chested, and the tabards sometimes stick out even more, so I have to be careful not to drop anything on them, or drag them through anything. But other than that, eating in Jedi garb's not a real problem.

21. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I've never worn my cloak to an event. I don't like it because the hood's too small, so I'm having another one made.

22. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I'll usually set my helmet on the table and proceed to stuff myself. You don't have to worry about getting it on you in Stormtrooper armor. You just wipe it off and proceed.

23. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Yup, that'd be easy.

24. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    when eating in my jedi gear it depends on the food. if it's a snadwhich or salad, I do nothing A little messy but managable toss 'em to the elbows. If it's VERY messy I don't eat it unless I REALLY want to, then I tie them back simalar to how the japanese tie back kimono sleeves. They use a long length of braided cord strung through the sleeves at the back, cross the ends over each other behind me, tie in a bow knot in front at my waist or chest and I'm good to go. It's easily stored ina pcoket or pouch.

MY biggest problem is making sure the padawan braid stays out of food.:confused: More than 0once I've had it all into my soup, stew or desert.I toss it over a shoulder or down the tunic. Which is a bit of a tickly situation to begin with. Espcially with a metel dangly earring on it's end for weight that is.. a bit cold.

25. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Is your braid real?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.