main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, any HBO show that you happen to like will be an exception because they'll probably never make a deal with Netflix. :p

I got bored with 30 Rock a couple years ago (season 5, apparently!) so I haven't watched it since, but I've decided to catch up since why not? Handy having the earlier 2 seasons I missed on Netflix.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Streaming availability is not reliable. Content providers might throw a fit (Sony, Starz), they might find a more lucrative deal (Universal and Warner Bros. just signed a deal to make their films exclusive to HBO for a decade), contracts simply expire, etc. TV shows and films go off streaming usually without much warning. And major studios aren't done fighting this whole shift away from traditional television viewing, and we can't pretend that Netflix won't be a big target. So I still buy my favorite shows when I can. Though I'm keeping it limited to those available on Blu-ray (except Community) 'cause I don't see much point in getting an antiquated format that looks worse than streaming.

EDIT: Also, Reed Hastings might suddenly decide to dissolve the company and open a taco stand called Quikster in Nunavut.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you look worse than streaming

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well no, I wouldn't buy any other HBO show now because I have HBO Go. So my Wire complete series DVDs now seem redundant.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I got addicted to the Office USA over Christmas (I started with Season 1 and have now begun 6).

SO much better than the UK version, though in the middle seasons Dwight is different and not always in a good way...

7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Stop there dude. The show just hits the crapper soon. If you insist on keep watching please at least stop when Michael leaves. There's nothing but heartbreak after that.

tom likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    also, i wouldn't say it's better than the british version. more classic episodes for sure, but that's just because there is soooooooo much more material. the original is consitently amazing throughout its short run.

jp-30 likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The UK one at least has the benefit of being so short there are no bad episodes. But I wouldn't say one or the other is better. They are completely different shows so it's mostly just down to personal preferences of the viewer on which you enjoy more. Personally I probably like the UK version a bit more because it's more me.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Glad I bailed after Michael left. Recently I've been thinking about catching up, but you've put that to rest.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Peep Show is amazing.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This season of the office has been better than the last, and personally I love Catherine Tate so much that I don't really care if people dislike her or if she really fits in the show, I just like seeing her in something :p But yeah, it obviously should have ended when Michael left. In my mind, that's the end of the show and everything since it sort of an epilogue. But I have to give them props for being better this season.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not as bad as season 8 since they're minimizing the dropped plotlines, but it's still a ****ing mess. What kind of TV show is missing its star actor (Ed Helms) for 5 episodes in a row? Couldn't he have held off filming movies for a little longer?

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What kind of TV show refers to Ed Helms as its star actor? The guy is terrible.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Is he missing because he's filming movies? He was on the Mindy Project a couple times during his Office absence, so I couldn't figure out what he was doing.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno, I figured filming movies was the most likely explanation. Unless there's some bizarre endgame Greg Daniels is planning. They actually lampshaded the fact that it doesn't really make sense that the boss has been gone so long, or at least Pam said she can get away with anything because there's no one to fire her.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i think that's a bit of a leap to assume that's lampshading. we've never seen this show really display that kind of foresight before, have we?

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Self-awareness, you mean? Sure it does. In "Goodbye Michael," he asks the crew when the documentary will air (lampshading the fact that 7 years is a hell of a long time to film most docs).

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I think the one thing really hurting this season is having to come up with a B* reason for Andy to be gone. I like Andy, but yeah, seriously, couldn't they have filmed Hangover 3 a few months later?

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Obviously you have no idea how movie scheduling works.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We need a smiley for biting your thumb at someone.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i met ed helms and he told me he hates you

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I thought you said good television...

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't seen DS9 and sure TNG can be dull, but otherwise that list is definitely a list of good TV shows. Not anything like a comprehensive list, but good nonetheless.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    tng is lame and doesnt stand the test of time. same ds9 but to a lesser extent. BSG is uneven and fell off significantly in quality by the end. caprica was disappointing. scrubs overstayed its welcome by several seasons, especially the last season that was really more like a failed spin-off. community is very uneven and is less a show in its own right at this point than a litany of self-referential fan service and in-jokes for nerds with no lives outside of pop culture consumption. parks and recreation is milquetoast and had a horrible first season. the office UK is good television but the US version is a pleasant distraction at best. not sure which version you meant. perhaps you meant the brazilian one? how i met your mother is poop for unrefined and terminally lonely adult-children.

even i will accept your crown of negativity now. hand that **** over